PP TOI Allocation - Pet Peeve

horner

May 22, 2007
my pet peeve
when we have the lead in the 3rd period and we go into a defensive mod.
we always give up big shots and a goal or 2.
we should keep playing the way we are heming there team in there own end .
lie last night we had them by the throat and we let them off.

Reactions: Leafsman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t agree, this is an issue.

I’d much rather someone get through to Babcock on a few things instead of canning his ***. It would be very much preferable.

It's only an issue if you're underlying motivation is to want to see more Matthews snipes. I like it too. But the PP isn't the problem.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Here's an interesting clip that is an old lacrosse trick.

Used against Canada too, shame on us!

The interesting this is that the coach was Ted Nolan who has a lax background (was part owner of the Rochester Knighthawks NLL team at the time I believe).

The north - south game flow is so fast now that it's not without its challenges, but it would be interesting to see.

For the stats nerds, we're trying to take out all the inefficiencies of the game right?

Who wouldn't agree that D on Ozone rushes are underdeployed? This is just one additional tactic I see as a way to get more out of your assets at the right time!

That just looks like an Erik Karlsson cross ice stretch pass. The problem with this kind of transition is if you don't have an elite stretch pass, you just end up coughing it up over and over like we did last year when guys like Gardiner were attempting that.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
That just looks like an Erik Karlsson cross ice stretch pass. The problem with this kind of transition is if you don't have an elite stretch pass, you just end up coughing it up over and over like we did last year when guys like Gardiner were attempting that.

He’s talking about the change on the fly (which you may have missed as the camera panned off of it) and saying we could even use it to throw out a 4th forward to play high coming into the offensive zone. He’s saying we potentially could be more efficient and dangerous. It’s just an interesting tidbit

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

What's hard to see is they send a 4th forward out the front door (the D changes on the fly). 4 forwards and 1 D is unusual.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
First, we were 1-5 on pp last nite. Willy scored the only pp goal 5 hole. I see Matthews last goal credited incorrectly as pp, unless I missed something a pulled goalie is not pp.

PP 1 had 4.5 mins of ice time last nite. Some good looks but some bad entries. They were given lots of chances.

One misconception is that Boston 's PP1 plays more than ours. They played a slightly lower % PP time. My source was an Athletic article I cant find at the moment. We were both around a 60 / 40 split. The top units in the league Wash and FLA were at ~70/30 split.

Although I'd like to see our first unit playing more in critical situations, there are great advantages to having a decent second unit!
Nylander's goal last nite should have been the sparkplug (4-1 goal) which would have been a great positive for our depth scorers!

I like our scheme and it takes time to improve the execution.

Unlike our rivals, we gutted our lineup and have a completely diff pp so we have to expect some hiccups along the way.

The f***? We definitely did not gut our lineup. Its almost the exact same. Other teams have far more changes.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
The ****? We definitely did not gut our lineup. Its almost the exact same. Other teams have far more changes.

Well 3 of our 6 D are new, a new 3rd line plus 3-4 4th liners.

That alot for a playoff team.

Since our top 6 are here, gutted might be the wrong term but its been mentioned many times by game announcers and sports media that we have record turnover year to year.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
We were 3 for 5 on the PP last night.

A plan always looks good when it works, but what about when it doesn't work? If plan A doesn't work, what's plan B and plan C? If plan A is to play the top dogs for 45 seconds, and plan B is to play the 2nd PP unit for 45 seconds, what's plan C? Because believe it or not, we're not always going to be successful in the first 45 seconds or even the first 90 seconds, and we need real planning for those times when we're not.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes, because Babcock isn't doing us any favours. The issues that cost us the playoff series last year are still issues this year.

Matthews has averages 4:09 pptoi
Marner 4:02
Tavares 3:49
Kapanen 3:31
Nylander is 3:02

It's clear the 1st unit is not coming off after 45 seconds and even more obvious when you account for the 7 second goal they scored.

People are literally making up an issue that isnt there.

Reactions: diceman934

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He’s talking about the change on the fly (which you may have missed as the camera panned off of it) and saying we could even use it to throw out a 4th forward to play high coming into the offensive zone. He’s saying we potentially could be more efficient and dangerous. It’s just an interesting tidbit

Oh I see. Didn't think happen in a Leaf game last year? D goes off, foward goes flying in for a breakaway in the second period? Can't remember if it was the Leafs, or if it happened against them, or it was in the playoffs with another team.

Reactions: 54thecup

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That’s a fair stance, but the first units talent should net them at least 1 minute of the PP... I still don’t like the 2nd PP, the only threat is Nylander and it’s going to be a tough unit to watch imo.
Tyson Barrie is not a threat...who knew. Spezza is also very good on the pp as well as others.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
A plan always looks good when it works, but what about when it doesn't work? If plan A doesn't work, what's plan B and plan C? If plan A is to play the top dogs for 45 seconds, and plan B is to play the 2nd PP unit for 45 seconds, what's plan C? Because believe it or not, we're not always going to be successful in the first 45 seconds or even the first 90 seconds, and we need real planning for those times when we're not.
I agree we should play PP one more. I do like Barrie and Nylander out there too though, there is no drop off there.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Im very excited about the PP this year, especially the clear usage of the one timer more often.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Edmonton (obviously) leaves Drai and McJesus out there for the whole 2 min. Even with their new coach Tippet claiming to want to spread out the minutes.

I've watched all the Vegas games so far. Mark Stone is out there the full 2 min and they sorta change the other 4 around him.

Colorado left MacKinnon and Rants out there. Samuel Girard and Makar seem to split the D duty though.

That's all I could note so far but i haven't watched a single Panther game in forever and I can probably tell you they give Yandle, Hoffman and Huberdeau just about the whole PP just by looking at their numbers from last year.

Pens probably do something like this...

Tampa with stammer and kuch

Boston with Pasta and Marchand

Karlsson

So anyway I think it would be amazing to roll JT, Marner, Matthews, Barrie and Rielly/Nylander with a little Mikheyev and Johnsson here and there for all PP's. Why not? They would murder.

I noticed this too. We definitely have 5 guys worthy of being out there for the full 2 min. Do we need to keep all 5 out there every time? God no, but Matthews is at the top of that list

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad