Powerplay

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
He's a versatile offensive player and he does some good things from that low spot. I think his ability to make a nice pass would yield better results if he was making those passes from places on the ice where he was also a threat to score because goalies have to respect his shot. I hate how static the PP is with everyone glued to their designated spot.

I'm no expert, but I'd like to see Hughes and Pettersson be more aggressive and challenge penalty killers 1 on 1 and do a little more roving around. Ideally they'd get the defenders confused and running around a little more and when they panic and collapse to the net you have Boeser and Pettersson open up high and Horvat or Miller jamming the net.

I've always wondered whether power play structures stifled or promoted offensive creativity. My gut feeling has always been that when you've got the horses (like EP and QH), then let them run. Playing good defense is hard work: a static PP set-up makes it easier for the defenders, IMO.

On a related note, it's one of the reasons I felt the Sedins were less effective at a 4-on-3 PP than the usual 5-on-4. It was more difficult for them to confuse the defenders with Sedinery because there were fewer options to confuse them.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
And look at the setup tonight... maybe they read these boards

what was different besides boeser and miller switching spots.. like to see hoglander on unit 1 and drop miller or horvat to 2nd to make it more viable option to score. or put jake on the top unit point to blast one.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yes, it's concerning. Not just when you look at Vancouver, but all over the league. Teams still play PPs like it's 1970. The creativity is so low you start to think PP teams are just doing their job at the factory. It's so stale, so archaic, so... bleh! No movement, no rolls, no pick and rolls (I'm imagining such things from basketball could work on a PP), no communication, no real attempts to trick the defense, no nothing. You're one man more, so use that man! Use all of them! Nope, we're just going to set up our 1-3-1 shooting/ deflection factory here. "Here is my office. I won't leave my office."

You don't break down a PK just by puck movement. You also break it down by changing positions and areas you contend - and who you contend with. And where other players go when that happens. The drive for more creative offense is downright pathetic to watch.

Not all PP players need to be a passing option at all times. Some players can be used to disrupt and confuse the structure of the PK unit. NOTHING has changed with the PP advantage for so long it's laughable.

Example: Boeser gets the puck on the left side on the PP. Meanwhile, Pettersson has already started storming towards the area behind the net and Boeser passes the puck to Pettersson. Meanwhile, the rest of the players have started to rotate right. Miller sets a screen on the player covering close to Hughes who tries to find open space, then Miller rolls up towards the slot. Boeser rotates back for defense and to be open for a point shot. Just as a hipshot example.

I may be too extreme in my imagination of PP creativity, but still... MOVE! You're not in your office and you're not on vacation. Your job is to win hockey games.

Compare that play to the ordinary PP: pass... pass... pass... pass... shoot, miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad