Powerplay Unit Ideas?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Bruins were in rare form on the PP last night, but hopefully they can keep it up at least to some degree.

I believe the main unit they were using last night was:

Iginla-Soderberg-Lucic
Krejci-Krug

I thought everyone played their position well and this unit could be a good option going forward.

How do you see the other unit shaping up though?

Provided Bart gets a spot in the top 6 (maybe not likely, but I'm hoping he does), I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Bergeron-Chara-Eriksson
Hamilton-Bartkowski

The Bruins are rumored to be trying Chara up front again. I'm not sure if that's the best option, but I do prefer all 3 young d-men to him on the point.

If Bart doesn't get a spot, obviously move Chara back, and work Marchand in there.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Let the skill players use their skill/intuition, nuff said.

Hate the X and O approach to PP`s, you have, I suspect, the most skilled players out there, don`t bloody handcuff them into playing a strict system

Last night`s PP (albeit it far from playing against the Habs reg season PK`ers) looked good and why?? They were wingin it

When I coached (not at all a pro level) the ONLY area we addressed was when/if the puck was sent down to our end, here`s how we would break out to ensure all 5 guys are attacking the offensive zone top speed, after that, we NEVER had set PP plays

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The Bruins were in rare form on the PP last night, but hopefully they can keep it up at least to some degree.

I believe the main unit they were using last night was:

Iginla-Soderberg-Lucic
Krejci-Krug

I thought everyone played their position well and this unit could be a good option going forward.

How do you see the other unit shaping up though?

Provided Bart gets a spot in the top 6 (maybe not likely, but I'm hoping he does), I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Bergeron-Chara-Eriksson
Hamilton-Bartkowski

The Bruins are rumored to be trying Chara up front again. I'm not sure if that's the best option, but I do prefer all 3 young d-men to him on the point.

If Bart doesn't get a spot, obviously move Chara back, and work Marchand in there.

Eriksson can play the point too. I'd move him back to Bart's spot and slot Marchand in up front.

Fwiw, they (the 1st unit) practiced the PP yesterday in Wilmington and it was just as deadly against our own PK'ers.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Anyone notice on at least two of the pp goals I don't remember seeing one forward town behind the net....

Nice to see the forwards skating moving and getting open this tqime instead of the static perimeter passing....

Last edited:

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
I have to temper expectation. We've seen this song and dance so many times before, just to watch Ward coach it right out of them eventually.

As long as Krug and Dougie stay mobile up top, I think we'll be fine. They force everybody else to shift with them. Those 2 are the key to this PP not going stagnant again, imo.

When he and Dougie were paired together last playoffs, you could see the magic starting to surface between those 2. If I had it my way, those 2 would be paired together and wouldn't come off for the duration. It'll be impossible for Ward to put the leash on both of them. There's too much vision, creativity and skating ability there for even Ward to screw up.

I think having Iginla out there will be a big benefit to some of the younger guys too. Iggy's always been known to kind of play the way he plays; coaching be damned. I don't think he has the foot speed to get away with playing that way 5 on 5 anymore, but on the PP he should be able to push the envelope a little bit. Sometimes you need that kind of personality in the mix to show everybody else that it's ok to do what got you this far. I think he's a lot like Savard in that regard. They never played a similar game at all, but they both have the balls to play the way they play. Therefore, I fully expect Iggy to be a guy who walks in off the wall and let's it rip. That's all I've ever wanted from this PP is decisiveness.

We've got skill there. Our coach just has no idea what to do with it, when all he has to do with it is let them play. God, I wish Savard could come back if only to coach our PP :laugh:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Let the skill players use their skill/intuition, nuff said.

Hate the X and O approach to PP`s, you have, I suspect, the most skilled players out there, don`t bloody handcuff them into playing a strict system

Last night`s PP (albeit it far from playing against the Habs reg season PK`ers) looked good and why?? They were wingin it

When I coached (not at all a pro level) the ONLY area we addressed was when/if the puck was sent down to our end, here`s how we would break out to ensure all 5 guys are attacking the offensive zone top speed, after that, we NEVER had set PP plays

Agree, and when Chara plays on the PP, they take FOREVER to move the puck up ice and into the zone.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just take Chara off the pp. It saves him a few minutes here and there, they'll rush up ice quicker, and opposing teams won't see the telegraphed Chara one timers a mile away.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Just take Chara off the pp. It saves him a few minutes here and there, they'll rush up ice quicker, and opposing teams won't see the telegraphed Chara one timers a mile away.

Man are you singing my tune. I've been complaining about this for years.

I have been baffled every year with why they keep putting him on the PP. He's slow to bring up the puck, he doesn't move it quickly, he's ridiculously predictable in that he's always looking to shoot, and the other more creative players (like Krejci) seem too focused on setting him up for one-timers.

Honestly shocks me that year after year of terrible power play units and they've never once looked at the one constant: CHARA.

So yeah...get him off the power play and anything else is fine by me.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
During the pp last night, my wife joked "Iginla's moving around way too much, he's going to get in trouble with the coaches"...

I love her sense of humor...

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Didn't Calgary use Iginla on the point? I kinda like that idea too.

Yep. They liked to bounce em in between the left circle on the umbrella and shooting set ups and sometimes the left point on the overload. Not sure if they ever used him at the top of the umbrella, but they probably did at some point.

Last edited:

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
Anyone notice on at least two of the pp goals I don't remember seeing one forward town behind the net....

Nice to see the forwards skating moving and getting open this tqime instead of the static perimeter passing....

Iginla was mobile for sure. Probably the most monst mobility I've seen from a Bruins forward on the PP since Savard. In the past, the players have been way too stationary and predictable, often telegraphing the passes allowing for PKers to adjust.

Movement keeps them thinking - I hope Iggy rubs off on the rest of them.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Hopefully the coaches are finally thinking the same thing we are. If you have guys that can work on the PP, why wouldn't you take the chance to give Chara a rest? Anything the B's can do to get him off his legs without hurting the team's chances should be defensive priority number one in my eyes.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Man are you singing my tune. I've been complaining about this for years.

I have been baffled every year with why they keep putting him on the PP. He's slow to bring up the puck, he doesn't move it quickly, he's ridiculously predictable in that he's always looking to shoot, and the other more creative players (like Krejci) seem too focused on setting him up for one-timers.

Honestly shocks me that year after year of terrible power play units and they've never once looked at the one constant: CHARA.

So yeah...get him off the power play and anything else is fine by me.

Looks like we got a complete choir going here! :laugh:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
When you say 1st unit, you mean the same group we saw last night?

Yes. I meant, the first unit from pre-season game 1. Not necessarily the first unit for regular season game 1.

The first unit for tonight (if they line up like they did this morning) will be Camper between Marshy and Eriksson, with Boychuk and Warsofsky on the points. The second unit had Koko between Knight and Caron, with Hamilton and Seidenberg on the points.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Yes. I meant, the first unit from pre-season game 1. Not necessarily the first unit for regular season game 1.

The first unit for tonight (if they line up like they did this morning) will be Camper between Marshy and Eriksson, with Boychuk and Warsofsky on the points. The second unit had Koko between Knight and Caron, with Hamilton and Seidenberg on the points.

Thanks!

Looks interesting. Wish I could watch it.

I'd guess if Bergy were healthy he'd be between Mashy and Loui. I like that.

Thanks again for all your up-dates.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH

I am 100% in favor of this. There's no need for him to be on the PP anymore now that Krug and Hamilton are on the backend.

Chara is getting older and those extra minutes adding up through the season could make a huge difference in important late season games and the playoffs.

I wouldn't even put him out there to screen the goalie. Plant his ass on the bench for PPs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Krug and four guys from the HF pickup skate (well, Krug and Reidy, and 3 guys from the pick up skate)

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Im in favor of double shifting krug on the PP. He will be on this team to provide offense from the backend and the best way to do that is on the PP. He'll probably be skipped a few times for a 5 man rotation if the team is leading in the 3rd period so make up for it by giving him 2 PP shifts. I like the unit last night (how could you not) and the 2nd unit looking like a

Chara/marchand-bergeron-eriksson
hamilton-krug on the backend.

I agree with some here that believe that chara is not a huge asset on the point on PPs. He doesn't move the puck quickly enough and the offense can't get him in rhythm. Does he score a lot of PP goals? yes. But the entire PP seems to run through him when he is out there. And how good has the bruins PP been the last few years on the whole? exactly. I'm for mobility and creativity from the back end and krug, hamilton, krecji all have that in spades. Either way, infusing krug for a full season for the bruins in that regard is going to be a huge boost.

A pessimistic writer will tell you though that even with torey krugs gaudy stats in providence, he was still a minus player on a very good team. That could speak to how many points he had on the PP negating a positive tick in +/- but either way, in 5-5 hockey, he is below average in his own zone. So his roster spot I think will live and die with how much of an x factor he can be when the Bruins are a man up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad