Powerplay math and associated optimism

Discussion in 'Columbus Blue Jackets' started by gocbj, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Crede777

Crede777 Deputized

First page of the fix the powerplay thread and already we are talking about Riley Nash and Gregory Freakin' Campbell.

*slow clap*

Monk likes this.
  2. MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli Chex-to-Jax

Well, the PP and Nash do have something in common - neither can score.

Maybe we can add a new thread: “In Defense of Riley Nash”. I’ll start it out- he’s just not good.

And based on a few comments, maybe our 4th line should rally to the doctors mantra “Physician, do no harm”.

3. Crede777

Crede777 Deputized

So we saw a competent powerplay last night and not just because they scored twice. Their control and puck movement was quick and with a purpose.

However, two huge questions remain. First, do we even have a 2nd powerplay unit? Second, and even more importantly, recall Panarin's OT game winner. He got the puck at the left circle and held on. He then made a move and ripped a shot past the defender who was looking to block it. Great, but do we have someone that can do that on the opposite side as a left handed shooter? Gotta be able to do that on two sides. Otherwise, every time the puck goes over there the PKers know another pass is coming and commit to it.

4. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

Of course Panarin was playing up top on the right side of the power play iirc. Seems he should be in the Ovechkin/Stamkos spot?

major major likes this.
  5. major major

major major Registered User

I didn't think their puck movement was that quick, though they deserve credit for winning the battles after the draw. On both goals Panarin just waited and sniped, the timing worked out with the blockers sliding out of place and the screen getting set up just in time. And they're due, with the talent this club has they should be able to score a lot more on the PP even absent improvements to the structure of the PP. I'm still waiting to see the PP get some bang-bang plays going, goals like last night's are going to be atypical.

1. The second unit didn't see the ice last night, and it isn't so important in general. What I see around the league is that a great first unit is a great PP. And this club should have a great first unit.

2. IMO Werenski should be that left-shot on the right half-wall. Dubois also has a great LH shot but I'd rather he stay down low. What we've seen though is that for whatever reason they don't seem to like players in one-timer positions and D-men on the half-wall. No one here can explain why.

6. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

One of the great mysteries of the world to me why he isn't (hasn't been).

On the PP & GWG against Washington he was. Probably an error that will be corrected:naughty:

CBJ have soared to 28th in the league in PP conversion rate. 14.1%.

7. Viqsi

Viqsi IA IA BLUEJACKETS FHTAGN

Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    At this point in the season it's hard to get that percentage to go up substantially because of the extended track record of horror and disgust established from the first half.

That said, totally agree w/r/t Panarin's usage.