Powerforward Prospects

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
From the Bruins, I guess you could consider Petr Kalus and Milan Lucic power forwards.

Kalus hits often and hits hard. He's got pretty good size at 6'1" 195lbs, skates very well, and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. In 43 games with Providence he collected 110 PIM's and had 8 fighting majors. In his short stint with Boston at the end of last season he proved that he was more than ready by scoring 4 goals in those 9 games with limited ice time. Still only 19, he's been compared to Erik Cole.

Milan Lucic isn't exactly your typical PF becuase he probably won't be much of a scorer at the NHL level. At 18 he's already huge being 6'3" 225lbs. The scary part is that if it weren't for his spinal problem (don't know exact term), he would be 2 inches taller. He led his WHL club in scoring during the regular season with 30 goals and 68 points, while also being one of the top heavyweights in the entire league. His skating isn't the greatest, but it's good enough that he can still line guys up and take the body. He's been a force offensively and physically for much of the Memorial Cup. He has the potential to be a bigger Chris Neil or Travis Moen, with 15 goal/3rd line upside.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
From the Bruins, I guess you could consider Petr Kalus and Milan Lucic power forwards.

Kalus hits often and hits hard. He's got pretty good size at 6'1" 195lbs, skates very well, and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. In 43 games with Providence he collected 110 PIM's and had 8 fighting majors. In his short stint with Boston at the end of last season he proved that he was more than ready by scoring 4 goals in those 9 games with limited ice time. Still only 19, he's been compared to Erik Cole.

Milan Lucic isn't exactly your typical PF becuase he probably won't be much of a scorer at the NHL level. At 18 he's already huge being 6'3" 225lbs. The scary part is that if it weren't for his spinal problem (don't know exact term), he would be 2 inches taller. He led his WHL club in scoring during the regular season with 30 goals and 68 points, while also being one of the top heavyweights in the entire league. His skating isn't the greatest, but it's good enough that he can still line guys up and take the body. He's been a force offensively and physically for much of the Memorial Cup. He has the potential to be a bigger Chris Neil or Travis Moen, with 15 goal/3rd line upside.

I was going to put Lucic on my list for the Bruins, but I wasnt sure how far along he was, or how his style of play has been. Havent seen much of him to comment, but from what you put, that pretty much is what I was thinking about the kid so far.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Nikolai Kulemin is also a very good one...

Plays a Canadian style game in the Russian league.. He can shoot, deke, hit and fight and he has explosive speed on the rush!!! Very underated prospect!

Kulemin isn't underrated anymore, he's the most popular Leafs prospect right now.;)

And yes he can shoot, he can hit(not like AO though), but fight? Well maybe he can, but he doesn't drop the gloves.:)

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Kulemin isn't underrated anymore, he's the most popular Leafs prospect right now.;)

And yes he can shoot, he can hit(not like AO though), but fight? Well maybe he can, but he doesn't drop the gloves.:)

Isn't fighting not allowed in the RSL? I'd imagine that this would be a majo obstacle i nbeing a fighter.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
New York Rangers
Brandon Dubinsky- From what I have heard, a full-time job is his to lose next season. Has all the tools to be a top 6 forward, especially that 6'1 almost 230 pound frame. The kid can move out there too on the ice, and is not afraid to hit. I think he will be a NHL regular next season, but may not put up the numbers that the brass wants right away.

Dane Byers- I like what I have seen from him in the AHL this year. Has almost been a forgotten player in the ranks of the Rangers prospects, but plays a power game. Smart and efficient with the puck, I think the Rangers are very happy with this kid and what he might turn into soon.

Bruce Graham- see Brian Boyle from L.A. Kings---same thing applies here.

American dream- Glad you mentioned Brandon Dubinsky in that list. I don't think he was projected as a power foward when the Rangers drafted him, but he has put a lot of muscle on his frame, and is listed at 220lbs now. I have seen him play, and the guy is a bull down low. He also has good hands. I think hew should be given the chance to play this season, but for the Rangers with about 7, to 8 million in cap space i'm sure they will look to the FA market to bring in some depth. Personally I would much rather see Dubinsky get the chance to play.

I haven't seen Brodie Dupont play personally, but maybe someone can fill us in on him. From what I have read he seems to be a power foward type also.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Calgary Flames
Kris Chuko/Eric Nystrom- dont think both again are your typical powerforwards, but both can play a power grinding game. Both havent lived up to potential yet, and I think next year is both of their last shots with this club and maybe the NHL.
Chucko is 20 years old.. I don't think he is on his last legs.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
2 possibilities?

I'd add Dupont of the Rangers, even though he's a little small he plays tough.
Reaves of St.Louis, hit's like a train but skill level is suspect
Colton Gillies, in the draft this year, hands are suspect but can skate and hit

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
What about for this year's draft? Obviously JVR would be considered the top power forward, but does anybody know more about his playing style? I mean, does he just have a big frame, or does he use it effectively like a power forward should. I hear that he's got good hands, and can skate pretty well for a big man, so hopefully the complete package is there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
New York Rangers
Brandon Dubinsky- From what I have heard, a full-time job is his to lose next season. Has all the tools to be a top 6 forward, especially that 6'1 almost 230 pound frame. The kid can move out there too on the ice, and is not afraid to hit. I think he will be a NHL regular next season, but may not put up the numbers that the brass wants right away.

Dane Byers- I like what I have seen from him in the AHL this year. Has almost been a forgotten player in the ranks of the Rangers prospects, but plays a power game. Smart and efficient with the puck, I think the Rangers are very happy with this kid and what he might turn into soon.

Bruce Graham- see Brian Boyle from L.A. Kings---same thing applies here.

American dream- Glad you mentioned Brandon Dubinsky in that list. I don't think he was projected as a power foward when the Rangers drafted him, but he has put a lot of muscle on his frame, and is listed at 220lbs now. I have seen him play, and the guy is a bull down low. He also has good hands. I think hew should be given the chance to play this season, but for the Rangers with about 7, to 8 million in cap space i'm sure they will look to the FA market to bring in some depth. Personally I would much rather see Dubinsky get the chance to play.

I haven't seen Brodie Dupont play personally, but maybe someone can fill us in on him. From what I have read he seems to be a power foward type also.

I also forgot about the human enigma known as Hugh Jessiman. Some say he turned things around at the end of the year, but did he turn them far enough to have any hope at a hockey career?

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Hugh had an excellent finish to the season, however I see him more as a future 3rd liner who can score type of player, but in the right enviornment he still can be a top 6 winger. He's very dominant with the puck.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Hugh had an excellent finish to the season, however I see him more as a future 3rd liner who can score type of player, but in the right enviornment he still can be a top 6 winger. He's very dominant with the puck.

It's still very much a wait and see situation with Jessiman, imo. True, some signs of progress this past season....but I think he still has a long ways to go.

As far as PF prospects for the Rangers go, Brodie Dupont might be the best one they have. He's a real battler with nice grit. Not the biggest guy, but he makes up for that with his mind set and his hustle. He's a guy to keep an eye on.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
For Chicago I would add Bryan Bickell who in his 3 game stint in the NHL has accomplished more thanBrower or Blunden did in their longer stints and I predict will have a better career in the NHL than Skille IF they use him (Bickell) properly --he was best in his last OHL year where Windsor used him as a featured top line LW and I think he is one of those guys who needs his ego stroked that way...meanwhile I predict Skille will flop as a top 2 line guy and be lucky to stick as a 3rd liner if he ever reaches his upside.. Blunden's constant injury problems in his career to date suggest he might never reach the potential projected for him,but we shall see if he develops anymore or not ...Brouwer--with the right centre ,might duplicate his scoring feats as a top 2 line winger (indicated by his AHL totals and his WHL scoring Champ credential in his final WHL year)--however I always felt that Bickell had the size and skill to be an even better pro thanhe was in jRS. --his problem was consistency -because when hewanted to he could be a very good player,but at times he did not sjhow up-I always felt that once it got into Bickell's head that his JOB depended on his performance that he would eventually mature and play at a higher level more consistently,but I also think that burying him on 3rd or 4th checking lines will never bring this out--his ego must be stroked and he must accept that the team DEPENDS on him giving max effort--if it all comes toggether Bickell could have the best pro career of all this bunch of power forward prosects in Chicago..HOWEVER--knowing how the Hawks always screw things up,they are more likely to invest hope in 1st rounder Skille --Tallon also sad he thought Skille would be a better pro than he was in college--we'll see-I have my doubts...the corollary is that they may as a result shove back Bickell to 3rd-4th line duties at best or just keep in in the AHL--so Bickell may never get the chance for the role he should be developed for...if so,he may sulk and never develop properly...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
For Chicago I would add Bryan Bickell who in his 3 game stint in the NHL has accomplished more thanBrower or Blunden did in their longer stints and I predict will have a better career in the NHL than Skille IF they use him (Bickell) properly --he was best in his last OHL year where Windsor used him as a featured top line LW and I think he is one of those guys who needs his ego stroked that way...meanwhile I predict Skille will flop as a top 2 line guy and be lucky to stick as a 3rd liner if he ever reaches his upside.. Blunden's constant injury problems in his career to date suggest he might never reach the potential projected for him,but we shall see if he develops anymore or not ...Brouwer--with the right centre ,might duplicate his scoring feats as a top 2 line winger (indicated by his AHL totals and his WHL scoring Champ credential in his final WHL year)--however I always felt that Bickell had the size and skill to be an even better pro thanhe was in jRS. --his problem was consistency -because when hewanted to he could be a very good player,but at times he did not sjhow up-I always felt that once it got into Bickell's head that his JOB depended on his performance that he would eventually mature and play at a higher level more consistently,but I also think that burying him on 3rd or 4th checking lines will never bring this out--his ego must be stroked and he must accept that the team DEPENDS on him giving max effort--if it all comes toggether Bickell could have the best pro career of all this bunch of power forward prosects in Chicago..HOWEVER--knowing how the Hawks always screw things up,they are more likely to invest hope in 1st rounder Skille --Tallon also sad he thought Skille would be a better pro than he was in college--we'll see-I have my doubts...the corollary is that they may as a result shove back Bickell to 3rd-4th line duties at best or just keep in in the AHL--so Bickell may never get the chance for the role he should be developed for...if so,he may sulk and never develop properly...

Well I am not really going to even comment too much on this, but if you think Bickell is a better plyer now, or will be a better player then Skille...well more power to you. I would say the exact thing about Bickell that you did about Skille. I didnt put Bickell on here for the Hawks, because I just dont think he is going to be anything but a minor leaguer. He has slow feet, he doesnt use his body as much as he should, shows way too many signs of lazy Daze, and his hockey sense has MUCH to be desired. His Stats in the AHL were not that great, I think in 9 games in the AHL, Skille almost had as many goals as Bickell!! Could Bickell be a better NHLer then an AHLer? Maybe. But out of Brouwer, Blunden, and Skille, I am pretty sure 99% of fans and people on here would put Bickell on the bottom of that list.

You have your opinion, but I am thankful you are not running our team. Skille is a bluechip prospect who at worse winds up as a third line energy guy with some scoring touch, ala a Marty Lapointe in his prime. You use the reasoning that Bickell will be a better pro then he is now, but then say that Tallon is investing a lot in Skille for the same reasoning, but is wrong in doing that??? Not following your thinking here. Again, its your opinion, mine just differs greatly.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site

I wouldn't go as far to say he had an excellent finish to the season, but he did show some progress. He had a 5-10 game stretch where he was scoring frequently, but tailed off again for the last 10 or so games of the year. I'm not sure if Hugh will make it as anything more than a 4th liner (if that), but any progress, even if it is "baby steps," is a good thing for Hugh at this point.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
they both are young, but they havent lived up to their potential yet. Chucko has so far to go in terms of developing into a regular NHLer, that I think he will be a career minor leaguer. It is my opinion, but what has he proved otherwise?

No, he hasn't lived up to his potential yet, he is 20 years old. He struggled in College and it seems to be a mistake going there. He has holes in his game, that he is working on. If he wasn't working on them, then I would be concerend. Obviously the jury is still out on him, but to suggest he is on his last legs at his age.. wrong.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
No, he hasn't lived up to his potential yet, he is 20 years old. He struggled in College and it seems to be a mistake going there. He has holes in his game, that he is working on. If he wasn't working on them, then I would be concerend. Obviously the jury is still out on him, but to suggest he is on his last legs at his age.. wrong.

many players are gone by 21 or 22 years old..its not far fetched. I hope he does pick it up, he is a good kid. I am just saying if he doesnt make it this year, then he gets the bust tag which usually leads to a door out of the NHL before you ever step foot in it.

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
It's still very much a wait and see situation with Jessiman, imo. True, some signs of progress this past season....but I think he still has a long ways to go.

As far as PF prospects for the Rangers go, Brodie Dupont might be the best one they have. He's a real battler with nice grit. Not the biggest guy, but he makes up for that with his mind set and his hustle. He's a guy to keep an eye on.

yeah, Brodie is around 6'2" 210.. not the biggest "power forward" but he plays a gritty game and is a leader, either way i hope he turns out good for us. He was just signed a couple days ago..

http://www.nyrangers.com/pressbox/pressreleases.asp?id=2916

Junius

May 17, 2007
Vancouver
Dustin Brown is as solid a PF prospect as there is and he is still developing. The strides he made last season are amazing.

Agreed. He is the reason they were able to part with Avery so easily. He is just scary to watch develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad