Powerforward Prospects

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I'm a huge fan of Powerforward prospects and players, they make life difficult for opposition, they go into boards, score etc. Apart from Okposo (who im a massive fan of), i dont know many Powerforward prospects in the NHL in general, so here is my question, Name me a Top 5 (or 10 or whatever number you like) List of Powerforward prospects with a short paragraph including skillset (strengths, weaknesses), maybe a comparison and maybe output points wise. Thank you in advance...:)

Mods, feel free to delete or edit anything in this thread.

jax00

DangleSnipe&Celly
Mar 3, 2007
Anaslime
Well, I cant tell you much about him, but the Ducks prospect Bobby Ryan (#2 overall in 2005) is a power forward.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
Skille is a power forward i suppose. He's fast works and hits hard and has a very strong shot. Skille has always been compared to Bill Guerin. Troy Brouwer is also a power forward type and did very well in the AHL as a rookie this year. Whether he can translate that success to the NHL i don't know.

13o13

Apr 12, 2007
Well, Dustin Brown(L.A.) and Guillaume Latendresse(Mtl) are 2 good power fowards...
Twice played in Nhl last year, Brown finish 2nd in hits with 258hits and Tender Finish 29th in his 1st pro season with 164 hits. :)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm really not sure about this but Nikolai Kulemin of the Leafs might also be considered a power forward.

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose
Steve Bernier for the Sharks, He should replace Owen Nolan as the Sharks Best PF in Sharks History because of so much talent

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Anthony Stewart, Kenndal McArdle, David Booth, Rob Globke (Fla) Perhaps not top notch, especially Globke...

Barry Tallackson, Jason Ryznar, Aaron Voros (NJ) I think... perhaps more of grinders, or AHL PF like Lee Goren and the like... is Voros still with the NJ organization ?

Lauri Tukonen, Brian Boyle (LA)

Michael Blunden (Chi) Probably more a 3rd line grinder...

Adam Pineault (Columbus)

Blake Geoffrion (Nas) Not sure though...

David Backes (Stl)

Eric Nystrom, Kris Chucko, David Moss? (Cal) Perhaps more grinders...

Jean-Francois Jacques (Edm) Is he still a prospect ? Will he develop a scoring touch at all ?

Milan Lucic (Bos) Saw him play yesterday, and was playing like a PF... but will he be able to play that game at the next level ?

Nick Foligno (Ott) Skill level ?

Blake Comeau, Jesse Joensuu (NYI) I like Comeau, so strong, and who knows if Joensuu will pan out ?

Jonathan Filewich (Pit) Maybe not top notch, but plays like a PF

Michael Forney (Atl)

Ryan Craig, Evgeni Artukhin (TB) Well, I don't know if they qualify as prospects anymore...

Eric Fehr, David Steckel (Wsh) Will Fehr adjust? Is Steckel back on track ?

I omitted those mentionned by other posters...

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
Nikolai Kulemin is also a very good one...

Plays a Canadian style game in the Russian league.. He can shoot, deke, hit and fight and he has explosive speed on the rush!!! Very underated prospect!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm a huge fan of Powerforward prospects and players, they make life difficult for opposition, they go into boards, score etc. Apart from Okposo (who im a massive fan of), i dont know many Powerforward prospects in the NHL in general, so here is my question, Name me a Top 5 (or 10 or whatever number you like) List of Powerforward prospects with a short paragraph including skillset (strengths, weaknesses), maybe a comparison and maybe output points wise. Thank you in advance...:)

Mods, feel free to delete or edit anything in this thread.

Its pretty funny considering that I was just about to do this thread. I already have a similiar one out there that compares Sheppard vs. Neal vs Okposo vs Foligno..all 4 power forward "type" players, who I think all will have an impact in the NHL. I will make my list of powerforwards for each team below...this isnt the end all list, just my idea of the best guys out there..if I forget anyone please just let me know..

Anaheim Ducks
Bobby Ryan- I know he gets a lot of bad rap on this board, but I doubt that he wont have an immediate impact in the NHL. I feel he will be one of the best power forwards in the league for many years.

Atlanta Thrashers
Jordan LaVallee- He has impressed me all year long for the Wolves. This kid will get a legit shot at making the big club next season. I hope he gets it, because I think he has many Joel Otto similarities...but is faster then Joel imo..

Buffalo Sabres
Drew Stafford- I dont think he is under anyones radar anymore. I dont think he will be a prototypical powerforward, but I think he has many similiar traits. Very offensively gifted, but can throw the body around and is not afraid to muck it up. Blue chip prospect.

Mark Mancari- Monster size!! Just like Gaustad, this kid will be coming soon. Actually has some decent wheels and a nice scoring touch for a big grinder.

Calgary Flames
Kris Chuko/Eric Nystrom- dont think both again are your typical powerforwards, but both can play a power grinding game. Both havent lived up to potential yet, and I think next year is both of their last shots with this club and maybe the NHL.

Carolina Hurricanes
Joe Barnes- injuries, injuries, injuries..has plagued this kids career. At 6-3 and almost 220 I think he fits the powerforward bill. Carolina can sure use his size and strength next season, but who knows if he will be healthy enough to ever make it to the NHL.

Chicago Blackhawks
Jack Skille- Bill Guerin anyone?? I have read that many times before, but I think it will hold true with this kid. Still has some more to grow, but is already a solid 6-1 210 pounds. Should be a Hawk next season unless they do the unthinkable and actually sign top free agents. Should be a 30-35 goal scorer through his prime.

Troy Brouwer- dont think he is quit NHL ready yet, needs to pick up some foot speed and better puck handling skills in traffic. But, the size and potential is there for him. Many doubted he would be able to do in the AHL what he did last year in juniors, but he proved them all wrong. Should be a full-time Hawk in 2 years, but dont be shocked if he makes the squad next year.

Michael Blunden- injuries hurt what was supposed to be a breakout year for Michael. Still on the Hawks radar, but unless he completely out performs guys like Skille, Burish, St. Pierre; I dont see him as a Hawk until 2008-2009.

Colorado
Ryan Stoa- Many missed out on this kid during the 05' draft because of concerns over his second half of his US NTDP season. Many are kicking themselves in the butt for that one. A steal in the second round imo, and he has only started to show flashes of just what this kid can do. At 6-3 205, he only needs to add maybe 10 pounds to be a real bulldozer, but the kid already has NHL size and skating.

Chris Stewart- Has a powerforward body right now..only a matter of time before you see him in Colorado. Should make the squad next season with an aging Colorado team. Still needs to add some scoring ability, but I am still amazed at just how well the 05' and 06' drafts were for Colorado.

Columbus Blue Jackets
Alexandre Picard- This kid loves to hit. Plus he has a pretty nice scoring touch also. Should be a player for Columbus next year, dont thinki he will spend another minute in the AHL. Needs to improve on his hockey sense, and doing the little things that most powerforwards do to be successful.

Adam Pineault- Hasnt put up the numbers that many thought he would in college, juniors, or the AHL. I still have hope for this kid, but it is not what it used to be. Probably more of a grinder then a powerforward, but I think he still has potential to turn into a top 6 forward someday..time is running out though.

Dallas Stars
James Neal- I love this kid. I think he is going to be one of those guys that people are going to scratch their head and go "why wasnt he a first round pick"? His numbers are modest in a sense, but I dont think you have seen half of what he is capable of doing. Should be a 100 point player in the OHL next season..if Dallas doesnt scoop him up for their squad next season.

Detroit Red Wings
Justin Abdelkader- showed pretty good promise at the WJC for USA. I think he will turn out to be a typical Detroit steal in the draft..eventhough he was still a second round pick. Detroit needs this kid to step in soon because they aint gettin any younger. Needs another year to develope his size and game, but should be NHL ready by 08-09.

Florida Panthers
Anthony Stewart- pretty similiar to his brother, although I have been down on Anthony lately. I think he should be doing more then he has, but he has been hurt a few times these past 2 seasons to his credit. His size of 6-2 230 is down right scary. I dont think Florida has many other options besides this kid for next season, should be a Panther IMO.

David Booth- Another solid all around winger who has a power game that he plays. Just like Stewart, I dont see why Booth wouldnt get full-time NHL duty next season, and a top 6 spot isnt out of the question either. For his size, this kid is pretty quick. Worst case scenario he makes it next season as a grinder and earns more icetime with solid two-way play.

Los Angeles Kings
Trevor Lewis- I really really like this kid, and I think L.A. is showing just why they jumped on him that early in the first round. Plays a power game with solid two-way awareness. Still a year away in my eyes, but a great camp wouldnt surprise me if LA keeps him. He is 20 years old, so its not like he is 18 and needs more experience.

Brian Boyle- At 6-6 225 how do you not call him a powerforward?? I hope he uses that massive size to his advantage, and doesnt turn into another Eric Daze. Still needs some time to develope, but may get a shot by years end with LA.

Minnesota Wild
James Sheppard- I love this kids offensive ability. Again, I dont think he would fall into the typical power forward, but his size and strength will seperate him from the heard of grinders with potential. Should be a Wild next season, I have little doubts about that. Great player, with a great attitude..wish the Hawks had him ;)

Danny Irmen- I strongly feel that Sheppard and Irmen will be 2 spark plugs that help lead the Wild to the playoffs next season. Every team should have a guy of this ilk; self sacrificing, gritty, capable of pp and pk time...just an all-around solid player. May never hit 30 goals at the NHL level, but will be a glue guy like John Madden that every team needs to have if they want to win..imo.

Nashville Predators
Blake Geoffrion- not many forward prospects to choose from with this team, but man are they loaded with young d-men or what?? Thats not to say Blake isnt a good one and deserving to be here..because he is. He has solid size, and showed as a freshman great poise with and without the puck. Can play the physical game, and still has plenty to grow physically and mentally. Two years away from getting a sniff of the NHL imo, but it will be worth the wait for Nashville.

New Jersey Devils
David Clarkson- looked pretty good in his late season call up, and continued to play pretty well in the playoffs. He is more of a grinder then a powerforward, but he does remind of a Randy McKay at times. Another great FA pick for the Devils, Clarkson should be ready for full-time duty next season for the Devils.

New York Islanders
Kyle Okposo- Where to begin with this kid. Probably the best young powerforward in the game..imo. I was skeptical of him early on, but man has he impressed me. His freshman year was amazing, as was his WJC performance this year. I really dont see him coming back for his sophmore year especially if NYI loses Ryan Smyth to free agency. The kid can play in the NHL right now, and play at a very effective level. A+ keeper.

New York Rangers
Brandon Dubinsky- From what I have heard, a full-time job is his to lose next season. Has all the tools to be a top 6 forward, especially that 6'1 almost 230 pound frame. The kid can move out there too on the ice, and is not afraid to hit. I think he will be a NHL regular next season, but may not put up the numbers that the brass wants right away.

Dane Byers- I like what I have seen from him in the AHL this year. Has almost been a forgotten player in the ranks of the Rangers prospects, but plays a power game. Smart and efficient with the puck, I think the Rangers are very happy with this kid and what he might turn into soon.

Bruce Graham- see Brian Boyle from L.A. Kings---same thing applies here.

Ottawa Senators
Nick Foligno- I was down on this kid early this year. I thought he would be a bust. But man have I been wrong. He may never be a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level, but I easily see him as a second line gritty powerforward in the vein of Brendan Morrow. Hes not outstanding at any one trait, but I feel he is solid all-around. Many still bash him, but I think he will be a Sen at some point next season.

Shawn Weller- Another kid I am high on. I love his all-around game, and his defensive responsibility he shows on the ice. Has a shot at the Sens next season, but may be 2 years away. Good player to keep your eyes on for the future.

Philadelphia Flyers
Steve Downie- he may not have your typical powerforward size, but like a Dustin Brown the kid can hit. He has a temper which has lead to some stupid penalties, but this kid is a keeper. he still needs to grow some, but I feel he will be one of the better powerforwards in the league in a few years..imo.

Phoenix Coyotes
Blake Wheeler- this onetime project is starting to look very good for the Yotes. I think he has improved every single year, but still needs to show a little more in my eyes to justify a top 5 pick. He may have a better pro career then amateur, which is not uncommon with "project"/bigger players, but he needs to step up next year and cement the fact that he is one of the best powerforwards in the game.

not too many others after this team, Ryan Stone and David Backes are the best 2 power type players that their respective teams have to offer. I really like both kids, and both should be ready for full-time NHL duty next season.

Washington Capitols
Eric Fehr- I really like this kid. Its not going to be much longer before Washington is no longer considered a joke. And this kid is going to help turn things around. 6-4 215, this kid has awesome size, and man can he shoot the puck. He needs to use his size a little more, but I think he has done a good job maturing every year. I do not see why he wont be in the NHL next season, but is a keeper regardless.

Again, I am not saying this is all the best powerforward prospects out there, but IMO these are the ones I think will make the biggest impression on the game and us as fans.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Colorado
Ryan Stoa- Many missed out on this kid during the 05' draft because of concerns over his second half of his US NTDP season. Many are kicking themselves in the butt for that one. A steal in the second round imo, and he has only started to show flashes of just what this kid can do. At 6-3 205, he only needs to add maybe 10 pounds to be a real bulldozer, but the kid already has NHL size and skating.

Chris Stewart- Has a powerforward body right now..only a matter of time before you see him in Colorado. Should make the squad next season with an aging Colorado team. Still needs to add some scoring ability, but I am still amazed at just how well the 05' and 06' drafts were for Colorado.

o_O If anything the current Colorado squad is the youngest it's been in a while. We've graduated at least a rookie per season if not two every year for the last couple years and they've all made impacts.

Aside from that, really good list, David Jones should also be considered for Colorado.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
o_O If anything the current Colorado squad is the youngest it's been in a while. We've graduated at least a rookie per season if not two every year for the last couple years and they've all made impacts.

Aside from that, really good list, David Jones should also be considered for Colorado.

I wasnt implying an old team, but that the defense has some elder skatesmen on it, plus Sakic and Turgeon and Brunette arent getting any younger. I feel that there is some room for those young guys next year, but I agree with your assesment. I should have worded it better. thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad