Speculation: Power Speculation: Hextall/Burke's first move in PIT?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Burke would be foolish not to rebuild. They are stuck in no mans land being too good for top picks in the draft and not good enough to make a run for the cup. Their core is old. Crosby is the captain you would want to lay down a winning culture for a rebuilding team.
Agreed. Unless he goes for a hail Mary and ships out some baggage and stars and hopes the return turns to gold there really is not option

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa added just the right amount of sandpaper and toughness to their game but I think it had more to do with a willingness to play with some sandpaper and toughness from the guys they already have/had. Not necessarily wasn't about bringing in a bunch of size or tough players from outside.

If you look at the team that we had last year and the year we got swept it wasn't very different. Sure we added Bogosian and Maroon and they helped but those guys hardly played compared to our top guys. They had to learn to play a little different game than what they were accustomed to. Thats why we weren't our best early in the season last year. Was learning a whole new way to play and it was a tougher way to play against for sure and helped them go the cup finals and win it vs a pretty large and aggressive team in Dallas.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
First move Hexy made was trading Hartnell for salary cap space. Ideally first move is to trade Matheson off the books.
Easier said than done.

The term on Math is a killer. 6 yrs if I remember.
Don't see any serious legit offer for him.

You would need to find a team w/deep pockets and opening salary cap room, then eat half for starters and then give your trading partner enuf profit incentive to carry him on the books for 6 yrs at 2 and change per.

Do Pens want that level of expense?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
This is the most logical thing to happen.

unlikely Malkin would be traded at this point unless he requested a trade. Perhaps he could sign elsewhere as a FA, but I don’t see the team dealing him without some kind of event occurring first.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't think Burke will get involved in the trading aspects of the job anymore. He wasn't doing that in Calgary, I don't think he will stick his nose in on Hextall like that. It's really unfair and if they were reversed I don't think Burke will like that either. Burke will just do his job, Hextall will do his job, Burke will provide input and his vision, Hextall will do the same, they will also work with the owners and go from there. The difference right now from PIttsburgh vs any random franchice is that they have 2 Hall of famers right now, Crosby and Malkin, which they really can't just blow house, rebuild, they will work from what they have. There is an exception to the rule of a Crosby Malkin level players on the team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Don't sell picks or prospects. Start stockpiling before Crosby and Malkin retire.

Why? Whatever the Pens stockpile won't be able to replace the loss of Crosby and Malkin when they retire.

If anything it's better to completely empty the cupboard so that when those two retire the Pens can bottom out completely and draft high again instead of be a middle of the pack team but without Crosby and Malkin.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
And Washington went on and on and on until it finally happened
Thats correct, but in reality it took tampa to have a different look and different edge to win. Teams need a good balance and the pens don't have that

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Burkie said in his book he likes to make a big splash his first off season. Likes to take his time making assestments first. Ie. Sedin twins, Kessel trade, Pronger, etc...
Toughness, goaltending, coach, Bennett, etc.

What do you think happens first?

I want to hear your opinion/extreme power speculation.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Burkie said in his book he likes to make a big splash his first off season. Likes to take his time making assestments first. Ie. Sedin twins, Kessel trade, Pronger, etc...
The difference here there isn't time to make assessments. This season is only a few more losses away from completely getting away from them. Waiting means aging and this team is already getting up there. Its massive retool instantly or slow rebuild process and accept the fact that they may not make playoffs again for 10 years. Letting sid, geno and cough cough letang age another year and hopes for next season is foolish. Its not a good spot for sure

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Three aging stars is the issue. What do you do after this year with that. Boston makes it work so the Pens need a better model. Sid will be a penguin unless he requests to go somewhere to win a cup. The idea he is life time is nice but think the AVs would love to have him paired with Mac. Letang should be gone after this year for whatever they can get with a LMC. Malkin is a wild card here. It makes zero sense to extend him for 10 million when he is 36. Maybe he can go to a cup contender this off season. If not he probably retires after 2022. But I do like the Marino, POJ and hopefully Matheson as well on D. Pens need to reshape forward group and have to move one or two guys for a better fit of size and skill.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thats correct, but in reality it took tampa to have a different look and different edge to win. Teams need a good balance and the pens don't have that
I don’t disagree teams need balance
The leafs are currently looking for balance but to say the league is headed back to big tough teams is just not right
Because small skilled players are what is being drafted
Teams right now are lead by the skilled guys
Game has never been faster
So believe what you want
But league trending away from skill is just not correct

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
unlikely Malkin would be traded at this point unless he requested a trade. Perhaps he could sign elsewhere as a FA, but I don’t see the team dealing him without some kind of event occurring first.

I think that a team like the Kings would be a perfect match for Malkin and the Pens. They have lots of cap space and prospects that could fill the Pens wants and needs.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think that a team like the Kings would be a perfect match for Malkin and the Pens. They have lots of cap space and prospects that could fill the Pens wants and needs.

Since Malkin has a NMC, it makes it difficult to trade him anywhere, but especially to a team like LA that’s rebuilding — don’t see Geno being down with such a move. I think it’s more likely Malkin would go back to the KHL after this contract.

The fan base seems to be pretty mixed on trading Letang and Malkin in order to rebuild. Probably 1-2 more years before this core gets blown up.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I don't think Hexy is going to rush into anything, but after a bit of an assessment I wonder if there is a possibility for something around Gibson. I know that it would cost a substantial amount of assets, but it could really help the team. Maybe something around McCann, Jarry and 2022 1st to start? Or would it have to be someone like Zucker or Rust going out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad