Speculation: Power Speculation: Hextall/Burke's first move in PIT?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Letang goes first but with these two leading things I'd say malkin and Letang stay. Rust/zucker/ MM/ ZAR/should all be feeling a less stable right now
How can you get more competitive by trading rust or zucker? The only way would be to add future picks right?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If I had to guess Hextall's approach, this is what I think he will do:

1. Nibble around the edges during this regular season, with the goal of waiting out the rest of the 2020-2021 season. Maybe swap out some depth guys or maybe add a better goalie, but that's really about it.
2. Make some more substantial changes this off-season, with the goal of winning a cup in 2021-2022. I could see him pulling a "Neal for Hornqvist" caliber deal this off-season with a more significant piece such as Dumoulin, Rust, Zucker and such.
3. If the Penguins don't win a cup in 2022, nuke this team into orbit. Sullivan probably fired, multiple big names traded and probably a completely different team with a focus on rebuilding/retooling left after.
4. If the Penguins do somehow manage to win in 2022, they'll still try to retool the roster but in a more "add young win-now guys". Kinda the same thing that JR was doing at the end of his time with the Penguins.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
How can you get more competitive by trading rust or zucker? The only way would be to add future picks right?
Easy. Zucker doesn't necessarily fit the buiod of what Burke might want . Key point is they dont have many if any tradeable assets that they will trade. You have to give to get ane i can see them moving one or rust or zucker for a winger with more sizzle to their game . Evander kane?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The big decisions will be due to how Pens do this year and the new guys seeing what is what. Sully will not be fired due to his contract. But clearly he has to be given marching orders to get the team in a better frame to play. The only way that scenario changes is the players just don't respond to a sense or urgency and then all bets are off. The off season and entry draft will be the moves needed to be made for getting the Pens into a better situation. NO way I want Kane on this team. Way to much baggage for the Pens to add.

CTZ181

Jan 18, 2021
Hextall and Burkie spells toughness x 100. And that's exactly what we need. Bring back Horny? :P

I don't know who it'll be but there will be a move made ASAP to bring in a bruiser.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hextall and Burkie spells toughness x 100. And that's exactly what we need. Bring back Horny? :P

I don't know who it'll be but there will be a move made ASAP to bring in a bruiser.
Agreed. Hopefully one on the wing with some skill .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Toughness, goaltending, coach, Bennett, etc.

What do you think happens first?

I want to hear your opinion/extreme power speculation.

Depends

IF IF IF IF

The pens do want to rebuild? They got two guys who know how to rebuild

Hextall oversaw both the Kings and Flyers build and Burke did some good things in Vancouver and with the Ducks

If the Pens owners punch the button on a rebuild? Things could get interesting

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Toughness, goaltending, coach, Bennett, etc.

What do you think happens first?

I want to hear your opinion/extreme power speculation.

Bennett, Virtanen and Dunn. Top 6 is already decent (Guentzel/Crosby/Kapanen | Zucker/Malkin/Rust) - Add a decent 2nd pairing defenseman and make your bottom 6 harder to play against.

Reactions: Saints11

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
even if pitt were to fortify , at the cost of futures , for a run and win the cup its still down hill right after . and getting to the finals thru the east this year is a very tough battle . and im not hung up on the star players playing for only one team their entire career outlook as if it makes an organization more special . mean while i could get huge futures for the big two even if im retaining half their salary because the next several years are down years anyway after trading . now look at the angle of who you could get for the big two = near an instant rebuild ! and maybe the big two would like to go play for power houses the rest of careers anyway .

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Lol no it wouldn't.

Why do you honestly think the Penguins would do that? Bennett's a sub-30 point grinder who's great in the playoffs, while Kapanen has looked like a legitimate top-6 winger with the Penguins so far. Adding a spare part like Simon (who the Penguins let walk despite being able to sign him for league minimum) or Leivo doesn't move the needle at all.

I'd do McCann for Bennett, which is still a loss in value for the Penguins but it's at least a swap I can see making a positive difference. Kapanen for Bennett isn't even close.

Sorry, I never meant straight up. Flames would add as necessary. Even prospect wise, we have way too many LHS forwards and we need a better top 6 RW option.

McCann doesn't make sense for us. The Flames are looking for a legit top 6 RHS option in their top 6 other than Lindholm. We are looking for someone more permanent to play with Gaudreau - Monahan. Hopefully that person ends up being Bennett going forward like Ferland was once upon a time.

Other LHS swing wing options we have are Dube, Mangiapane etc. which is why we don't need McCann. Instead of that though, we're playing guys who don't belong there like Simon and Leivo.

Kapanen is not getting traded for Bennett. He’s put up 6 pts in 8 games and is signed to a low cap deal.

Sorry, I never meant straight up. I'm just saying it'd be the only piece that makes sense to try and do discussions with. Flames have plenty of left shot options to try and put into a more permanent top 6 role. We are hoping to have more than just Lindholm as a right shot option in the top 6.

This is why we'd want Kapanen. Or, if we get a little crazy, maybe the Flames should use the Pens to broker a deal (assuming Vancouver doesn't want to trade directly to us) where we try and nab a project like Virtanen to slot in our top 6 (someone with enough physicality and skill to play with Gaudreau - Monahan). Perhaps Rust could be an option as well if available/agreeable and Flames decided to attempt to properly fix that gaping hole on RW.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sorry, I never meant straight up. I'm just saying it'd be the only piece that makes sense to try and do discussions with. Flames have plenty of left shot options to try and put into a more permanent top 6 role. We are hoping to have more than just Lindholm as a right shot option in the top 6.

This is why we'd want Kapanen. Or, if we get a little crazy, maybe the Flames should use the Pens to broker a deal (assuming Vancouver doesn't want to trade directly to us) where we try and nab a project like Virtanen to slot in our top 6 (someone with enough physicality and skill to play with Gaudreau - Monahan). Perhaps Rust could be an option as well if available/agreeable and Flames decided to attempt to properly fix that gaping hole on RW.

Rust and Kapanen are going to cost a 1st and a prospect if moved.

They both are on pace for 60 points right now and are signed on cheap ass deals.

Also, our RW depth is nothing if one of those players goes out.

TBH, CGY and PIT are not a good match for trades.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Rust and Kapanen are going to cost a 1st and a prospect if moved.

They both are on pace for 60 points right now and are signed on cheap ass deals.

Also, our RW depth is nothing if one of those players goes out.

TBH, CGY and PIT are not a good match for trades.

Then I'm assuming it's safe to assume the two clubs aren't great trading partners?

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Sullivan won't be fired because he's only on the first year of his very expensive 4 year extension.

I think Sam Bennett is a good guess, though. I think something around McCann for Bennett makes some sense on paper. I think the Penguins "lose" that value in trade, but I think Bennett does more for the Penguins bottom-6 than McCann does (McCann's more of a complementary scoring line winger, and the Penguins 3rd line is definitely not that) and Bennett's a noted playoff player.

Bennett sucks. How about trading McCann for a pick and get cap space needed/. Why is it necessary to get another failed first round pick? Who cares if Bennett is a playoff player. We might not be a playoff team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Calgary fans vastly overrated what Bennett will return, but sure.

And yet everyone still tries to pry him out of Calgary. Many Flames fans are basically, "Give me X or go away." it's not a true legitimate expectation of what he will return, but our expectation of what Treliving will do. Treliving would very likely rather use Bennett as a self rental rather than trade him for basically nothing.

This was literally one of the first lessons he learned from Burke who let Cammellari walk for nothing rather than field lowball offers for him at the TDL.

They do and always have. Bennett is playing what bottom six for an average team?

Probably. But he wouldn't be garden variety replaceable in the bottom 6. Some teams in certain scenarios/injuries might even play him in their middle 6 without too many complaints. This is what Calgary fans bemoan. Bennett is a staple on a roster and he could potentially play himself higher up the depth chart. He's not roster or bust like someone like Yakupov or certain prospects. Another similar guy is Virtanen. He's basically a bottom 6 fixture but potentially could play up. He too is a straight up NHLer with upside. The difference though is I think Vancouver is looking for a lateral move and Calgary is hoping to do a quantity for quality trade and willing to do nothing wait for one. For Calgary, it's all a luxury, not a necessity.

Unless we continue to discuss Bennett to Pittsburgh in an idea that is agreeable to both, this unfortunately is off topic and derailing this thread. My apologies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From listening to Hextall's most recent interview, I doubt he does anything significant during the season. He seems to take the stance that JR built a good team and it's just underachieving right now.

Although he certainly didn't praise their goaltending, so maybe that's a potential spot to look at. Maybe he looks at getting a stronger 1B to platoon with Jarry, since Jarry has been crap so far this year.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
With the new management on the Pens and the apparent agenda to win now, despite probably being ready for a rebuild, Hextall has his work cut out for him. With next to no capspace or picks and and empty prospect pool, this seems like a pretty tall order. Would something like Ryan + 2nd for Tanev make sense?
Ryan is still useful and an expiring contract. The move would free up approximately $6 million in capspace, before the expansion draft and two picks in the first 4 rounds, for the Pens. For the Flames, I'm not a fan of Tanev's contract and we probably couldn't protect him but if he's selected, it could simply be viewed as deadline shopping, prior to the deadline.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Bold predcition?

1. Letang + bottom6 C/W gets traded for cheaper/younger/defensively responsible Top 4D & young Top9 F.

2. Burke yells a lot when they're eliminated in rd.1 again.

upload_2021-2-10_17-19-29.png

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Burke will be the one making the major decisions and laying out the plan. Hextall's job would be to execute it. And I doubt Burke will be looking to rebuild

Burke would be foolish not to rebuild. They are stuck in no mans land being too good for top picks in the draft and not good enough to make a run for the cup. Their core is old. Crosby is the captain you would want to lay down a winning culture for a rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad