Power skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
It's pretty much the same as "regular skating" but teaches you the little things that make you a stronger skater. (speed, agility, balance, strength, and efficiency) I put my son in it last year and what a difference it made.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
yah but what are these small things. Different angle of skate when you are on the ice. Better movement of ur body. change in the posture of your back

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Power Skating is a term that players use to say that they taking advanced hockey skating classes.

It's learning to be as effective as possible. Posture, stride and so-on.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
I've only been ice-skating for about a year, but I've gotten pretty good at it for a late-bloomer (even if I do say so myself).
<(-:{
I picked up Laura Stamm's Power Skating Skills for explosive skating - proven by the pros yesterday at the library. I just flipped trough a few pages so far, but everything I've read so far looks good. I am thinking about taking some lessons.

Last edited:

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
I took a power skating class when I started playing minor hockey. I was also a late bloomer, only starting minor hockey at 14. It helped wonders. I don't really remember detailed drills other than the fact that they were repetitive. I remember a lot of start/stops and suicides as well as a lot of emphasis on tight turns. Every drill we did skating forward, we did backward plus I believe there were a few drills done only backward. I play every position and I find that my backward skating is better than my forward skating.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Power skating is mainly about skating mechanics. You would be surprised how much faster you would get just by applying a few extra details. It's about synchronizing your upper body with your lower body, trandfering all of yuor weight onto one skate before getting most of your thrust skating forward. How to push on your skate and the finish with the toe extension... Skate isn't just skating forward and you might learn some of it during power skating lessons. It will improve your all around ease on the ice including lateral skating...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Most of what it is has been covered. Basically it is proper technique (although you may never get it), not wasting motion and alot of edge control. Different people teach to different players. Some urge quick feet, others focus on a long stride. I would suggest taking it if you are interested in bettering yourself. I helped out at a school a few years ago and have been to many throughout my life. Basically every year since I was around 8, and I went to 4 or 5 different teacher. Learned something new from all of them. Every Pro team has a power skating instructor on hand at some point in the season, and most elite level players grow up in their schools.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
do a web search on laura stamm and you'll find all you need to know about power skating. i've been reading her book and its helped my skating ability ten fold. she explains in detail how to maximally use your lower body strength for explosive starts, turns, stops. she offers up tons of exercises to improve your skating.

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
Are power skating classes recommended for just about anyone? I played hockey for much of my youth, but stopped when I got to high school. The past year or two I've started to get back into it, but I have noticed a lot of ... rust, you could say, in my game. I always used to be one of the faster guys on my teams, but at the pick up games last year I noticed that I could barely keep up with some of the teenagers. I'm still young, I just think I need to re-learn some stuff.

Should I think about doing the classes, or would I be able to gather enough just from reading?

Thanks for the input!

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
Sherlock said:
Are power skating classes recommended for just about anyone? I played hockey for much of my youth, but stopped when I got to high school. The past year or two I've started to get back into it, but I have noticed a lot of ... rust, you could say, in my game. I always used to be one of the faster guys on my teams, but at the pick up games last year I noticed that I could barely keep up with some of the teenagers. I'm still young, I just think I need to re-learn some stuff.

Should I think about doing the classes, or would I be able to gather enough just from reading?

Thanks for the input!
You'll probably have a hard time finding power skating classes for your age bracket as most Community programs are geared for Minor Hockey. That being said, you should probably be able to pick up quite a bit from reading, provided there are also some diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad