TSN: Power Rankings

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I wanna put Buffalo between 6 and 8 if we see the centers we have here break out. I think that Buffalo has a chance to get in this year also because some energy shot with Ott, and hopefully Grigorenko can show he's a player for the Sabres.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Winnipeg won't come close to making the playoffs. They don't have enough talent or proven veterans to take them there.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
To be honest, I'd be surprised if the Sabres don't make the playoffs this year. 5th might be a bit generous unless things click.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think they're going to win the Southeast. They'll still have some defensive problems, but J. Staal and Semin will make them a much improved team.

Skinner should also build on his impressive season. Ward is about as steady as they get, and I'm in the camp that thinks they take that division.

Prediction:

1) NYR
2) BOS
3) CAR
4) PIT
5) PHI
6) WAS
7) BUF
8) TB
9) NJ
10) OTT
11) MTL
12) FLA
13) TOR
14) WPG
15) NYI

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This thread is a stark reminder how bad the Southeast is. Carolina could (should?) be much-improved. Tampa Bay always has the capacity to win it all if they get decent goaltending. Florida played over their heads but are still a better team than they've been in forever, and have plenty of young talent to work into that group. The Caps are a mess until proven otherwise (think Oates was a good hire). The Jets are going to be thought of as "the artists formerly known as the Thrashers" until they make the playoffs, but they have many good young players. Still, the Atlantic and Northeast's #2 teams will probably have more points than the Southeast's #1, and that's despite the divisional-heavy schedule.

Depends on how long it takes to adjust and find chemistry.

Teams with substantial turnover are at a disadvantage, because if it takes too long to mesh the season will be over before they can make their run. Of course, it very well could come together pretty fast, but there's always the risk that it takes too long to find the right line combos...and by that time you find yourself in a dogfight for 8th spot.

On the bright side, Jordan Staal has a touch of past experience with at least one guy on the team ;)

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Regarding Winnepeg -- Kane's off-season stuff may have an influence there too. When a team's best player is questioned, it is going to hurt their impression with the press.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Winnipeg won't come close to making the playoffs. They don't have enough talent or proven veterans to take them there.

But Buffalo does have the talent or proven vets? What have they proven over the last five years other than they're a perpetual bubble team? And you'll have to point me to all the Cup winners on Buffalo's roster.

As of March 1 last year the Jets were in the top-8 and two points out of their division lead. They have an emerging superstar in Kane, lost nobody of importance from last season's roster, and added Jokinen who, even if not an elite player, is a proven 2C in the league. The Jets were in the playoff race until the final five games last year, notwithstanding the fact they got only 66, 62, and 65 games from their top three defensemen (Byfuglien, Enstrom, and Bogo). They were also one of the better Fenwick (possession) teams in the conference. If they can get even league-average goaltending and improve just slightly on the road, they will be right there.

Anything can happen in a 48-game season, and much will depend on team health. Might the Jets miss the playoffs? Sure. But reading those tea leaves set forth above indicates that they may be an improved team this year. Rough crowd over an 8th place prediction.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Trying to predict the NHL is a waste of time, more so than any sport IMO. We have an idea of who will be really good, who will be really bad, and then there are 20-25 teams trying to sort out the middle. We are somewhere in the middle.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
The travel disadvantage is the main reason why I don't know how Winnipeg is going to do. If they can overcome it, they can definitely be a playoff team. They have the best home ice in hockey and they should be better than last year with growth and additions like Jokinen. I'm also pegging Boston as the top seed because of the schedule; I don't see them as the best team but our division is very weak compared to where the other top teams are (Atlantic).

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
But Buffalo does have the talent or proven vets? What have they proven over the last five years other than they're a perpetual bubble team? And you'll have to point me to all the Cup winners on Buffalo's roster.

As of March 1 last year the Jets were in the top-8 and two points out of their division lead. They have an emerging superstar in Kane, lost nobody of importance from last season's roster, and added Jokinen who, even if not an elite player, is a proven 2C in the league. The Jets were in the playoff race until the final five games last year, notwithstanding the fact they got only 66, 62, and 65 games from their top three defensemen (Byfuglien, Enstrom, and Bogo). They were also one of the better Fenwick (possession) teams in the conference. If they can get even league-average goaltending and improve just slightly on the road, they will be right there.

Anything can happen in a 48-game season, and much will depend on team health. Might the Jets miss the playoffs? Sure. But reading those tea leaves set forth above indicates that they may be an improved team this year. Rough crowd over an 8th place prediction.

Bogosian is out for the year. All the travel in a compressed season is going to be even tougher on the Jets.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Looking at the teams ahead of the Jets, it's pretty reasonable to me that they're there. They can be a playoff team but I certainly don't expect it.

The Jets have the worst travel schedule by miles(pi).

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The Sabres should make the playoffs based on Miller alone but they have guys who can score... the biggest issue imo is the defense.... Myers must stay healthy and lead the backend... if not Miller may quit.. :(

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Regarding Winnepeg -- Kane's off-season stuff may have an influence there too. When a team's best player is questioned, it is going to hurt their impression with the press.

Noel is an issue too.... Great heart but not sure about the rest... (check their road record)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad