Proposal: Power Proposal: (MIN/TOR) Joel Eriksson Ek & Jared Spurgeon FOR Jake Gardiner & Nazem Kadri

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Both had the same amount of GA last year.
Minny has Gabby too.

Same GA is not at all the same as same defensive capabilities - ignoring the amount of extra shots is incredibly disingenuous and only reinforces to any observer how biased you are.

Leafs have probably top 3 offense in the league, but for whatever reason even suggesting their D could use some work is some form of blasphemy. Take off the goggles bud and join reality.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Same GA is not at all the same as same defensive capabilities - ignoring the amount of extra shots is incredibly disingenuous and only reinforces to any observer how biased you are.

Leafs have probably top 3 offense in the league, but for whatever reason even suggesting their D could use some work is some form of blasphemy. Take off the goggles bud and join reality.

Where did you get this?
I agree it does need work-and Sprugeon is great
I also don't think Kadri is middling as many of yours fans stated.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Sounds more like your teams fault then. Pair Tavares with Matthews and Nylander, and Kadri with Marleau and Marner. (or you know, mix and match as needed). But of course, doing that "ruins our Stanley Cup winning centre depth".

What does this have to do with Staal having more icetime to out score Kadri?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
So someone is going to trade you a top 4 defenseman for your crappy defensemen? What are you offering if it isn't forwards?
Nothing. Most leaf fans aren't going around trying to trade willy et al. We will upgrade our d through FAs and drafting. It's like people don't get it. We are FINE with our setup right now. We would ideally like to upgrade the D but not by trading our forward talent. And then other fans come in and say oh well you guys won't go anywhere in the playoffs. Bug off, we are fine with our team.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

RDubya

Jun 7, 2015
jeez kadri gets no love around here. look up the goals scored by centers over the last 2 seasons, you might be surprised.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
yeah this is beyond awful for the leafs

Kadri AND Gardiner for Spurgeon and a bottom 6 C prospect?

thats a pretty easy no. Take out Gardiner and its close. Kadri is coming off back to back 30+g season and has a sweetheart deal of 4 years x 4.5 mil. ask the blues/sens what the cost of a top 6 C is

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Evidently some people feel TOR defense is inadequate and they think trading from a position of strength to gain a top pairing defenseman is a good idea. Silly.

you seriously think spurgeon in, and kadri and gardiner out make the leafs better? SMH!

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
you seriously think spurgeon in, and kadri and gardiner out make the leafs better? SMH!
look, you're obvs among the TOR fans everyone uses as a basis for their general dislike so I know you won't read this the right way, but the question was "why would TOR do this" or something like that and my response was, I believe, the rationale used by the OP for making the proposal. I do not think it's off base as there are on any given day several threads devoted to gaining defensemen through trade made by TOR fans. I did not say i believed it made them better. I'm pretty sure in a different post i said it was unfair to TOR.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
JEE will be a very good player once he develops. I see him as a stud #2C eventually, with higher upside than Kadri. Value-wise obvs favours TOR since JEE is unproven so this trade isn't really going anywhere.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
He'll have more TOI to do it.
Staal scored 38% more points than Kadri last year, while playing 6% more minutes. Aside from Staal's horrendous 2015-16 season, Staal has been better than Kadri every season Kadri has been in the league. And if you want to compare their seasons by age, it looks even worse for Kadri. Kadri basically had one very good season. Unless he gets moved, 61 points is going to be his career high. He probably won't top 50 on the Leafs anytime soon. He isn't on the the same level as Eric Staal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What's wrong with the leafs D? The problem was our team D and two culprits in that Dept are gone. Bozak and JVR were bad.

I don't see an issue if we adjust how we play a bit and that loss to Boston was on Smith dropping the ball, he and Babcock didn't play us to our strengths off the hop and we just didn't get the tending in G7.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Toronto was 12th in GAA and we have improved defensively with our additions and subtractions. With the growth of our young players as well and I expect us to be a top 10 defensive team. We don't need to do stupid trades likes this. If Babcock improves our transition game and removes the hail mary breakout passes I expect a huge improvement.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Toronto was 12th in GAA and we have improved defensively with our additions and subtractions. With the growth of our young players as well and I expect us to be a top 10 defensive team. We don't need to do stupid trades likes this. If Babcock improves our transition game and removes the hail mary breakout passes I expect a huge improvement.

I agree with you. Yes there is room for improvement. Most teams wish they were had better Dmen especially at the bottom end. But in a cap league, you can only spend so much so improvement is difficult.
But I think there are a lot of misinformed fans, or maybe they are just Leaf haters, who don't look at the players and the facts.
Case in point, I had discussion we some Wild fans who claimed there high priced defence was sooooo much better than the Leafs. Minni allowed one less goal than the Leafs last year. Hardly worthy of high accolades for the Wild Dmen and a dissing the Leafs.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Again, attributing a team statistic to a top 4... Goals against is a bad statistic to compare top 4’s from each team. Minnesota had defensive disaster Ryan Murphy playing 19 minutes a night. Not to mention Minnesota has either the first or second (?) highest scoring top 4 in the league. To suggest Toronto’s top 4 is anywhere near Minnesota’s top 4 would be pretty friggin’ dumb.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Impossible to make a deal with Toronto fans. This really isnt that far off in reality. Needs to be a bit more from Minnesota though. People saying they wouldnt do Kadri alone for Spurgeon and JEE just make me scratch my head

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Impossible to make a deal with Toronto fans. This really isnt that far off in reality. Needs to be a bit more from Minnesota though. People saying they wouldnt do Kadri alone for Spurgeon and JEE just make me scratch my head
Sure, it's possible; you just have to learn which ones to actually talk with and which ones to dismiss.

As for that particular rejection... it's counterintuitive but defensible, in the sense that JEE isn't valuable to a team going for it Right Now, and it's perfectly valid to prefer another top-6 center for the time being.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016

Eh, It’s just a bad deal for both teams. Don’t blame Leafs fans for not wanting to trade Kadri.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

I think the problem is that too many fans think they are more familiar with other teams players than they actually are. People base value off of the information they have, if that information is faulty so too will their valuations be.

And if you are reading this and think that statement doesn’t apply to you, you would be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad