Proposal: Power Proposal: (MIN/TOR) Joel Eriksson Ek & Jared Spurgeon FOR Jake Gardiner & Nazem Kadri

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015
All depends, I guess. take an immediate 3C downgrade but boost defense A LOT and offense probably as Spurgeon will be playing a lot of minutes and he's no slouch transitioning the puck.

I'm sorry, what? Gardiner got 50 points last year. Even a Gardiner for Spurgeon swap, completely ignoring the 30 goals Kadri provides, would be an offensive downgrade for the leafs.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm sorry, what? Gardiner got 50 points last year. Even a Gardiner for Spurgeon swap, completely ignoring the 30 goals Kadri provides, would be an offensive downgrade for the leafs.

i'm more thinking effect on the team. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Transitioning the puck I think he'd be great rapidly moving the puck out of the defensive end there and giving the forwards even more time in the attack zone.

Last edited:

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Can we stop with proposing the leafs give up a top 5 deep center pool? The way the are now, good luck matching up top D against lines 1a b and c.

Rielly and Jake also got 50pts last yr. That's top pair quality. Hainsey provides leadership and PK prowess but fizzled in playoffs. Zaitsev had s forgetful yr but his first was very good. Dermott on day I think is a top 2 for sure top 4 guy. Anyway we aren't trading Kadri

Mar 26, 2010
Not terrible. But Spurgeon is often injured. And while I like ek he's a bit too unproven.

Also gardiner is getting underrated. Dude just put up 50 points and is not horrible in his own end like outside fans claim.
This is true. Gardiner is coming off a 50 + point season. He is nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be.

member 300185

Kadri becomes MIN's 2nd line C is very productive, and Staal drops down to 3C.
Gardiner becomes MIN's top 4 LD.

Spurgeon becomes TOR's #2 D and plays the right side with Rielly.
Eriksson Ek becomes TOR's #3 C.

This is a well balanced trade proposal.
No. Spurgeon is 28 and only 5'9. We need someone bigger and if you want Kadri, you are going to have to pony up more than that. Kadri is worth Spurgeon and Ek together without having to move Gardiner.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Staal is 34. He won't continue his recent numbers and he won't continue to be a Wild.

Staal used to really struggle on Carolina.

You should be grateful for Kadri.
Kadri will never be even what Staal was last year. Staal was a monster last year. Kadri may be a more valuable asset but he is not a better player right now than Eric Staal. Not even close

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Not terrible. But Spurgeon is often injured. And while I like ek he's a bit too unproven.

Also gardiner is getting underrated. Dude just put up 50 points and is not horrible in his own end like outside fans claim.

I agree, Gardiner just put up 52 points and played every game. Spurgeon career high is 38. Yes, Gardiner has his gaffes. But, they get blown out of proportion because he plays in Toronto

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Staal is 34. He won't continue his recent numbers and he won't continue to be a Wild.

Staal used to really struggle on Carolina.

You should be grateful for Kadri.
Should be grateful for Kadri? GEE thanks man for your poorly thought out proposal! I’m so grateful. Please keep the dirtbag and move on.
No. Spurgeon is 28 and only 5'9. We need someone bigger and if you want Kadri, you are going to have to pony up more than that. Kadri is worth Spurgeon and Ek together without having to move Gardiner.
Kadri is about as equal to Spurgeon as it gets. Personally, I wouldn’t go after Kadri at all.

Feb 24, 2017
Ridiculous. Spurgeon for Kadri is a solid exchange for the Leafs and getting an affordable young player with big upside in JEE for a trainwreck defensively that will be lost in free agency soon anyway is another solid exchange for the Leafs.

I don't think you understand how good Spurgeon is.
This is a bad proposal in the eyes of leafs fans, because they believe their team shouldn’t ever have to give up anything for anyone.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I usually dispise HBHYD threads and proposals but I actually don't mind this one.

I'm also in the not taking Kadri unless it's perfect but JS is that type of guy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To sum up, from the Wild;
- don't need or want Gardiner, for a variety of reasons.
- don't need Kadri, if it costs Spurgeon. #2 Dmen( yes, he is still better than Dumba) are simply too valuable, and while Kadri has shown well the past couple of years, he is not the the elite #1c that MN craves. Last year there was a lot of noise about the Wild getting Stepan in a trade, who is a similar player. Simply doesn't move the needLe for the Wild.

I do think that Kadri would be a great get for some teams, though. His reasonable contract is a big plus.

Oh, and on a side note.... I think Ek is gonna be good. I know his stats are anemic, but he passes the eye test, for me. Might top out as a really good #3c, but could also be another Kadri. Too soon to tell.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
:laugh: It's a bit funny to watch people continue to suggest this as if nobody outside of Leaf fans watch the Leafs.
Some people dont watch closely enough but fixate on 1 turnover and ignore all the small great plays (even in the defensive zone) multiple times a game.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
To sum up, from the Wild;
- don't need or want Gardiner, for a variety of reasons.
- don't need Kadri, if it costs Spurgeon. #2 Dmen( yes, he is still better than Dumba) are simply too valuable, and while Kadri has shown well the past couple of years, he is not the the elite #1c that MN craves. Last year there was a lot of noise about the Wild getting Stepan in a trade, who is a similar player. Simply doesn't move the needLe for the Wild.

I do think that Kadri would be a great get for some teams, though. His reasonable contract is a big plus.

Oh, and on a side note.... I think Ek is gonna be good. I know his stats are anemic, but he passes the eye test, for me. Might top out as a really good #3c, but could also be another Kadri. Too soon to tell.
Wrong on Gardiner
Wrong on Kadri
Hopefully, you're right on Ek.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Spurgeon is WAY better than Gardiner and Toronto gets cap relief by downgrading from Kadri to Eriksson-Ek (who still had potential to be a quality middle 6 C).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad