Proposal: Power Proposal: (MIN/TOR) Joel Eriksson Ek & Jared Spurgeon FOR Jake Gardiner & Nazem Kadri

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kadri becomes MIN's 2nd line C is very productive, and Staal drops down to 3C.
Gardiner becomes MIN's top 4 LD.

Spurgeon becomes TOR's #2 D and plays the right side with Rielly.
Eriksson Ek becomes TOR's #3 C.

This is a well balanced trade proposal.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnesota already has an abundance of LHD. Not really looking to add there. Spurgeon for Kadri is probably as fair as it gets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
More like a putrid proposal..... for the Leafs that is

Spurgeon > Gardiner
Kadri >>> Eriksson Ek
I suspect Spurgeon is getting a tad underrated here. He may not be the kind of big supporting RD the Leafs want alongside Rielly, but he's really really good - enough so that I think he'd be more than fine in that role regardless. That'd be a pretty killer underrated pairing.

That said, while Gardiner is a whipping boy right now, he's still better at the NHL level than Eriksson Ek presently is and the Leafs are trying to make that jump ASAP. If Eriksson Ek is expected to have a breakout season next year, it might make sense, but I'm not sure why the Leafs would want to take that risk.

So, a bit closer than "putrid", but still problematic for the Leafs IMO.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Spurgeon a single > better than Gardiner? okay that's just silly.

the proposal though isn't fair to TOR. JEE is not developed. I've never been very interested in Kadri but he's still way more valuable than JEE at this point.

That said we need a cheap JEE.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I actually think this is pretty fair.

Sturgeon has a lot more value than gardiner.

And yes kadri is better than jee, but he turns 28 before the season begins, while jee is 21, and his elc is better even than kadris great contract...plus jee has 6 years of team control as opposed to kadris 4.

Wouldn't be surprised if jee becomes quite a similar player as far as impact to kadri, tbh.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I actually think this is pretty fair.

Sturgeon has a lot more value than gardiner.

And yes kadri is better than jee, but he turns 28 before the season begins, while jee is 21, and his elc is better even than kadris great contract...plus jee has 6 years of team control as opposed to kadris 4.

Wouldn't be surprised if jee becomes quite a similar player as far as impact to kadri, tbh.
The bolded is relevant for a team that sees its window opening up in a year or two or three from now. That's not where the Leafs expect to be.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
That's a bad take. Spurgeon is awesome.

Throwing in Gardiner is definitely too much though and JEE doesn't really do much for me.

It's a hot take, which I rarely have, and I did note value aside, as in a vacuum, Kadri for Spurgeon is close to fair. It's ultimately a lateral, or worst move for us to move Kadri, at a position I value more..on a defense that's not nearly as bad as heralded on here.

Leafs and Minny really aren't good trade partners.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's a hot take, which I rarely have, and I did note value aside, as in a vacuum, Kadri for Spurgeon is close to fair. It's ultimately a lateral, or worst move for us to move Kadri, at a position I value more..on a defense that's not nearly as bad as heralded on here.

Leafs and Minny really aren't good trade partners.
You think your #3C is more valuable than your #1 D?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gardiner would be our 3#LD. Not going to re-up him for 5.5-6.5M to play third pairing, and we're fine on the PP with Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba. Seeler is just fine as a very inexpensive LHD who adds toughness and defense on the 3rd pairing.

Ek is a developing young player. His stats are unimpressive, but i like him a lot, and i think the management does too. I see him taking over for Koivu in a few years...he is already a good defensive C with size and speed. The offense might never be spectacular, but if he puts up 20+20 then he'll be a real asset.

Kadri is sort of a tweener and definitely worth something to the right team. Wild aren't that team. Personally, I think his bouts of whack job headhunting would be a detriment to any team, as it was in the playoffs last year. I would be disgusted if MN traded a mensch like Spurgeon for him.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
More like a putrid proposal..... for the Leafs that is

Spurgeon > Gardiner
Kadri >>> Eriksson Ek

Ridiculous. Spurgeon for Kadri is a solid exchange for the Leafs and getting an affordable young player with big upside in JEE for a trainwreck defensively that will be lost in free agency soon anyway is another solid exchange for the Leafs.

I don't think you understand how good Spurgeon is.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
You think your #3C is more valuable than your #1 D?

I think having a guy who's produced at a low-end #1C/high end #2C rate for the last few years, at our #3C slot, who along with Tavares, Matthews line will be iced 90-95% of important games, is more valuable than to us than Spurgeon, who would be our #1 RHD. Your notations are pretty hyperbolic though so no reason to continue responding to them if your going to play that game.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think having a guy who's produced at a low-end #1C/high end #2C rate for the last few years, at our #3C slot, who along with Tavares, Matthews line will be iced 90-95% of important games, is more valuable than to us than Spurgeon, who would be our #1 RHD. Your notations are pretty hyperbolic though so no reason to continue responding to them if your going to play that game.
I don't think you underrstand what the word hyperbole means.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Kadri becomes MIN's 2nd line C is very productive, and Staal drops down to 3C.
Gardiner becomes MIN's top 4 LD.

Spurgeon becomes TOR's #2 D and plays the right side with Rielly.
Eriksson Ek becomes TOR's #3 C.

This is a well balanced trade proposal.
Staal drops down to 3C? Staal is way better than Kadri. What are you smoking?

Mar 26, 2010
Man.... your trade proposals are getting worse.

Why does Toronto do this?

Reactions: Morrison

Mar 26, 2010
Evidently some people feel TOR defense is inadequate and they think trading from a position of strength to gain a top pairing defenseman is a good idea. Silly.
Sure I see that, but This is a really bad deal for Toronto.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Sure I see that, but This is a really bad deal for Toronto.

All depends, I guess. take an immediate 3C downgrade but boost defense A LOT and offense probably as Spurgeon will be playing a lot of minutes and he's no slouch transitioning the puck. plus JEE is cheap, so you have that for the next little while even if he doesn't develop much which leaves you with more money to extend the big guns. He will develop though. He's supposed to be Koivu with better offense as his ceiling, and he's more aggressive physically. So maybe one for one you don't think its a good deal but there's a good chance it'll be good for the long term health of the Leafs.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Not terrible. But Spurgeon is often injured. And while I like ek he's a bit too unproven.

Also gardiner is getting underrated. Dude just put up 50 points and is not horrible in his own end like outside fans claim.

Reactions: RCS

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's two years of Spurgeon for one year of Gardiner....that's a Leaf win.
But it's four years of Kadri....and you know what he contributes for the unknown of EEK. Leafs don't do that deal.

Why did some uniformed people call Kadri a middling centre, and EEK a very good player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->