Game Analysis: Power Play

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So the Rangers currently have the 22nd best PP in the league by conversion, but they have the 5th best PP in the league in xGF generation and the 3rd best PP in the league in high danger shot generation

I imagine that if Zibanejad didn't drop dead the first half of the year, we'd be comfortably in the top half in the league.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
So the Rangers currently have the 22nd best PP in the league by conversion, but they have the 5th best PP in the league in xGF generation and the 3rd best PP in the league in high danger shot generation

I imagine that if Zibanejad didn't drop dead the first half of the year, we'd be comfortably in the top half in the league.

That's because the PP unit does nothing else than generate Vally's "royal road" chances, which are great in the high danger category and rich in xGF.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
You're likely talking to people who follow the Joe Micheletti school of hockey which is shoot absolutely everything and never pass.

i dont think Micheletti thinks like that. He points out that the Rangers overpass and give up prime scoring opportunities bc of this.

i think Michelletti is right. We do need to shoot more in some instances to keep the defense honest at the very least. We have become way to predictable and in many cases our players are static and not moving.

shooting will open up more passing lanes and also keep defenses moving around. Sometimes its better to shoot than try for the perfect pass.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
i dont think Micheletti thinks like that. He points out that the Rangers overpass and give up prime scoring opportunities bc of this.

i think Michelletti is right. We do need to shoot more in some instances to keep the defense honest at the very least. We have become way to predictable and in many cases our players are static and not moving.

shooting will open up more passing lanes and also keep defenses moving around. Sometimes its better to shoot than try for the perfect pass.

Joe whines every time the team passes on a 2 on 1 and says they should have shot with the exception being if the pass results in a goal.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

I mean the glaring thing is the lack of a shooting threat from Fox.

Its something Fox will need to develop to improve his game.

Too often he has a wide open shooting lane(with screens) from the high slot and defers.

He doesn't need to develop a 'bomb'. But an accurate wrister would sure as hell cause havok in front of the net. That, in turn, would break up PK formations and open one timers from the circles.

It could be a confidence issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
In a way, yes. But if they’re doing it in a way that is so absurdly predictable that it lessens the chance of converting, that’s a problem.

But they have the third highest PP% the last month? 29.2%. If anything, if that was true, you should expect the PP to get worse throughout the year and not better since teams would know their tendencies even more. Even more so this year where they play the same teams repeatedly. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Joe whines every time the team passes on a 2 on 1 and says they should have shot with the exception being if the pass results in a goal.

haha i will give u that. In some cases he is right though. Really depends on how the dman is playing the pass. Cant force it.

Reactions: SA16

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
But they have the third highest PP% the last month? 29.2%. If anything, if that was true, you should expect the PP to get worse throughout the year and not better since teams would know their tendencies even more. Even more so this year where they play the same teams repeatedly. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

If Panarin and Zibanejad are on the mark, yes, of course. They are world-class rippers. Problem was Zibanejad couldn't hit ocean for nearly half the season.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, good point. Hard to argue with that.

Until recently I was pretty confident that the predictability of always deferring to the cross crease pass was a problem but maybe not given the success since without changing much.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So the Rangers currently have the 22nd best PP in the league by conversion, but they have the 5th best PP in the league in xGF generation and the 3rd best PP in the league in high danger chances

With the amount of talent on this roster this team should be top 10 in PP. it’s disappointing that they are not

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It is disappointing ultimately but like he said, it’s not really for any other reason that Zibanejad being cursed for 3/4 of the season.
Yea definitely a huge part of it. As well as the loss of Tony D. Even with Zibby sucking for the 1st half, they refused to adapt. They just kept going to him for the one timer

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Back on March 13th, 2021, if I could have bet my life savings on the Rangers’ Power Play breaching 20% by the end of the season, I absolutely would have.

The Leafs are where in the standings? ......
...near.......the............................top?...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Back on March 13th, 2021, if I could have bet my life savings on the Rangers’ Power Play breaching 20% by the end of the season, I absolutely would have.

...near.......the............................top?...
Okay so as I said earlier in the season, if the Rangers were at the top of the league then I, and most other fans, would not be so up in arms about the struggles of the PP. But they arent at the top of standings.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
With Kreider’s tip-in goal, assisted by Panarin and Fox, at 6:02 of the 1st period tonight (April 23, 2021 vs. Flyers,) the Rangers are now tied with the Avalanche for most PP goals scored since March 1, 2021 (also now tied for 9th overall PP goals).

upload_2021-4-23_19-39-13.png

lol

Last edited:
Reactions: and 99 others

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
With Kreider’s tip-in goal, assisted by Panarin and Fox, at 6:02 of the 1st period tonight (April 23, 2021 vs. Flyers,) the Rangers are now tied with the Avalanche for most PP goals scored since March 1, 2021 (also now tied for 9th overall PP goals).

The assistant coaches are clearly reading our special teams breakdowns / analyses and making corrections. :thumbu:

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->