Game Analysis: Power Play

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Fox has 12 PP points in 30 games, that’s bonkers (as well as 8th overall for defensemen).

Zibanejad has 2 PP goals on 80 shot attempts, and the PP2 unit doesn’t score.

That’s the beginning, middle, and end, of whatever Power Play “issues” have happened this season.
Yes Zibanejad started off the season miserably and is finally looking like an NHLer again, but I'd bet if we had access to the video, Tony was getting the puck to Zbad quicker and in his wheelhouse. Fox being slow by one second could be throwing off Mika's timing. By no means am I blaming Fox for Mika gong 2/80, but it's definitely factoring in.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Those minutes aren't really meaningful. The second unit just mops up when the powerplay is already basically dead.

All of the underlying numbers say Strome is bad on the powerplay and has been for awhile.
So many excuses lol. He has 1 shot on goal after playing almost an hour on the Power Play.

Reactions: kovazub94

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I lost count on how many apples Fox could have had on the PP due to Mika’s struggles, and Strome missing. Don’t get me wrong, I think Strome has been very good this year but Fox has set up both of these guys with tons of gift wrapped passes they just couldn’t convert. If Mika wasn’t struggling to start the season, willing to bet Fox is Top 5 or least case, Top 10 in points among D in the league.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I lost count on how many apples Fox could have had on the PP due to Mika’s struggles, and Strome missing. Don’t get me wrong, I think Strome has been very good this year but Fox has set up both of these guys with tons of gift wrapped passes they just couldn’t convert. If Mika wasn’t struggling to start the season, willing to bet Fox is Top 5 or least case, Top 10 in points among D in the league.
He is, Fox is 7th overall in defensemen Power Play scoring. All the guys ahead of him have played more than 30 games too, some but quite a lot: Barrie (+4GP), Hughes (+6GP).

If Fox didn’t miss any games and Zibanejad scored some more goals, he could very realistically be 2nd overall, behind only Hedman.

upload_2021-3-24_18-11-13.png

He’s gradually moving of the list in total scoring for defensemen, too, now that the team has finally started putting some pucks in the back of the net. I don’t think he’ll break the top-10 this season though because of the Tim Hortons Division.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonardo87

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yes Zibanejad started off the season miserably and is finally looking like an NHLer again, but I'd bet if we had access to the video, Tony was getting the puck to Zbad quicker and in his wheelhouse. Fox being slow by one second could be throwing off Mika's timing. By no means am I blaming Fox for Mika gong 2/80, but it's definitely factoring in.

Mika couldn't hit Shaq with a puck from 5 feet away most of the year, has nothing to do with who is passing the puck because he's been getting them from Strome, Panarin as well both this year and last.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If I hear he who shall not be named is missing on the PP, going to F’ing lose it. Fox is now tied for 2nd in the league in PP points for all D!!!

D6F5139D-25CB-498D-8A8B-597E823F56A2.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The thing with DeAngelo is he’s great at running a power play and if he were still here I think we’d have a lot more effective 2nd power play unit. The other thing though is Tony’s very mediocre as far as being a defensemen able to defend. IMO he’s not as good as Smith or Hajek in that regard. We improved defensively without him but we’re not quite as good on the attack. I’m hoping next year that Lundkvist takes care of this problem for us being both able to defend and also able to make our power play more effective.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
19th in the league now. Frankly, that number still sucks. Our weakness is depth but our top talent is as good as any team in the league not named Colorado or Tampa.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
We'll be ok. Mika's poor start + essentially no 2nd unit is a big contributor. Hopefully Mika never has this type of start again and with Milk coming over next year I think we should be better.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
19th in the league now. Frankly, that number still sucks. Our weakness is depth but our top talent is as good as any team in the league not named Colorado or Tampa.

Mika was mia for a lot of the year, Panarin out for a long stretch....our rank would be much better without those factors.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
What does everyone think the 1PP will look like assuming Laf, Kakko and Kravtsov step up huge for next season?
You must be new?

Kreider
Panarin - Strome - Zibanejad
Fox

I’ve softened my stance on Quinn, but I highly doubt he’ll change much.

I would love to see:

Kravtsov (I want to see him as a net front presence that can also rotate and make some plays)
Panarin - Zibanejad - Lafreniere/Kakko (if Kakko can develop a shot by next season, I want him there instead of Lafreniere)
Fox

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Those minutes aren't really meaningful. The second unit just mops up when the powerplay is already basically dead.

All of the underlying numbers say Strome is bad on the powerplay and has been for awhile.
This!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad