Game Analysis: Power Play

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I think this needs its own thread. Discuss on what the Rangers are doing wrong, whats needed, what can they do to actually address it.

So, from a roster perspective: they don't have a viable trigger man pretty much anywhere.

No booming shot from the point, no one timer threat which would come from Zib.

Their transitional game on the PP is easily the worst element. Not enough confidence moving the puck up ice, poor support, and flat footed.

Poor movement in the O zone. Very little shifting which leads to lanes being easily blocked.

So what can they do about it? Well, I think they don't have the right pieces for an umbrella.

From a setup I think they should stack one side of the ice. This would get more bodies in front of the net, force the players to shift more, and make shorter passes.

Either that or don't run a PP unit.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The only thing thats wrong is that Zib can't shoot anymore...like every shot he takes goes wide to the far side for some reason, until he becomes a threat or is replaced by a shooter its going to be predictable as to where the puck is going. I suggested it yesterday that zib should be in the bumper and let Panarin shoot, they kinda did that but Panarin was too far away from the net.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Panarin can shoot. Even zib can he just dont know how atm.

My issue with the first unit is the 3 right handed shots on the top triangle. The opponent can always just block the one-timer. Strome literally can’t pass/shoot from that distance, he’s like a tree standing there. Replace him with Buch.

Also they need to skate more, cycle the puck in order to get the pk box to move a bit.

Reactions: Sayba

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Panarin can shoot. Even zib can he just dont know how atm.

My issue with the first unit is the 3 right handed shots on the top triangle. The opponent can always just block the one-timer. Strome literally can’t pass/shoot from that distance, he’s like a tree standing there. Replace him with Buch.

Also they need to skate more, cycle the puck in order to get the pk box to move a bit.

Yeah the lack of a LH shot on the right side of the triangle is kinda self defeating cause no secondary shooting threat.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
There isnt even close to a PPQB on the 2nd unit. Trouba is absolutely brutal on the PP and the puck is like a hot potato when they have it in the Ozone. This is when not having DeAngelo really hurts. I cant remember the last time the second unit scored a PP goal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’m not sure the second unit has produced a single goal this year. Nothing from Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Trouba, or Miller. These guys don’t get the bulk of power play time but they usually get somewhere around 35 to 40 seconds.

The second point is Zibanejad. His struggles have hampered things as well. Then there’s the DeAngelo thing. Not a fan of Tony’s defending or physical play and his putting himself before the team but he did know how to run a power play and having a second option pointman to do that can be pretty handy. Next year with Nils maybe we’ll have that again.

Reactions: John Snow

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I’m not sure the second unit has produced a single goal this year. Nothing from Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil, Trouba, or Miller. These guys don’t get the bulk of power play time but they usually get somewhere around 35 to 40 seconds.

The second point is Zibanejad. His struggles have hampered things as well. Then there’s the DeAngelo thing. Not a fan of Tony’s defending or physical play and his putting himself before the team but he did know how to run a power play and having a second option pointman to do that can be pretty handy. Next year with Nils maybe we’ll have that again.
Has the 1st unit produced a goal either? Lol doesn’t feel like they have

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
The problem is the that DQ approaches the PP the exact same manner he does 5v5.

Get the puck in deep then pass is back to the nearest defenseman.

He's a one trick pony..

Reactions: will1066

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's a bad setup and it piss poor personnel choices.

They need to be blow it up and start over.. its not going to happen though.

We have 2 players in 'home plate'. One is Kreider in front, the other is Zibs, the master shanker. Until the 2 wings come in tighter and closer to a 'quality' shooting angle.. the PP will still struggle. As long as Zibs shanks every opportunity, the PP will struggle. As long as there's a RHS on the right dot, the PP with struggle. As long as they stand still and pass it around the perimeter, the PP will struggle.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

We have 2 players in 'home plate'. One is Kreider in front, the other is Zibs, the master shanker. Until the 2 wings come in tighter and closer to a 'quality' shooting angle.. the PP will still struggle. As long as Zibs shanks every opportunity, the PP will struggle. As long as there's a RHS on the right dot, the PP with struggle. As long as they stand still and pass it around the perimeter, the PP will struggle.

Which is why I think they should run the overload.

It shortens passing distance and gets players closer to the net.

Besides do we have to be another team to play the 1-3-1?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Which is why I think they should run the overload.

It shortens passing distance and gets players closer to the net.

Besides do we have to be another team to play the 1-3-1?
You mean, be a team with 25-30% PP success... yeah, we dont want to be that. Teams use it for a reason.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Panarin is our best player and he’s way off against the boards with zero threat to actually score . Infuriating

Reactions: duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The 1-3-1 works because it puts all players in high scoring areas 'Home Plate'. It's why everyone uses it.

My awesome Paint Skills show what I mean.
RnDe0bf.png

Left is 1-3-1. F1, F2, F3 and D1 are all shooting options. F4 is rebound and deflection.

Right is our current setup. ONLY Zibs is a scoring option who rotates from bumper to goal line. Our best chances here is when the play breaks down.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our powerplay is abysmal in terms of conversion percentage but more like middle of the pack in expected goals. Not having horrendous shooting luck is a good start.

Still, middle of the pack is not where they were last year. I think it's a number of things:

-Our biggest weapon last year was Zibanejad from the circle. He's outright borked more one timers this year than I've ever seen, even in a full season. I'm going to die on the hill that he can't see right.

-Not having at least one LH shot on that side of the ice makes us easy to defend. Panarin made a beautiful feed to Strome today on the PP that's in the back of the net if he one-times it. He can't. Also, Strome is legitimately good at offense at even strength, I'll take the L on that one, but his underlying numbers on the PP are hot garbage. We're handicapping ourselves to shoehorn a third unit player onto the first unit.

-Quinn giving the second unit about ten seconds a pop makes the first unit stale and fatigued. Again, there's no reason for it. Our second unit has talent. This is not the Torts era with Boyle, Mitchell, and Girardi getting PP time.

DeAngelo is very good at this, it must be said, but Fox's underlying numbers with the man advantage are literally off the charts. I don't think there's a better defenseman in hockey at neutral zone carries. That's probably not the magic-wand fix it's being made out to be.

159892199_10208483214356096_5338634921311107666_o.jpg

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Is Adam Fox worse at feeding Zibs than Tony? Legit question. I know he's gotta get used to it by now but Tony was also much faster I think Fox is slower which makes Zib rush or overthink. Just a theory, nothing to prove it.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Is Adam Fox worse at feeding Zibs than Tony? Legit question. I know he's gotta get used to it by now but Tony was also much faster I think Fox is slower which makes Zib rush or overthink. Just a theory, nothing to prove it.
Ive seen times when the shooter regardless of who it is has his wind up ready and Fox does not zip it over immediately.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Our powerplay is abysmal in terms of conversion percentage but more like middle of the pack in expected goals. Not having horrendous shooting luck is a good start.

Still, middle of the pack is not where they were last year. I think it's a number of things:

-Our biggest weapon last year was Zibanejad from the circle. He's outright borked more one timers this year than I've ever seen, even in a full season. I'm going to die on the hill that he can't see right.

-Not having at least one LH shot on that side of the ice makes us easy to defend. Panarin made a beautiful feed to Strome today on the PP that's in the back of the net if he one-times it. He can't. Also, Strome is legitimately good at offense at even strength, I'll take the L on that one, but his underlying numbers on the PP are hot garbage. We're handicapping ourselves to shoehorn a third unit player onto the first unit.

-Quinn giving the second unit about ten seconds a pop makes the first unit stale and fatigued. Again, there's no reason for it. Our second unit has talent. This is not the Torts era with Boyle, Mitchell, and Girardi getting PP time.

DeAngelo is very good at this, it must be said, but Fox's underlying numbers with the man advantage are literally off the charts. I don't think there's a better defenseman in hockey at neutral zone carries. That's probably not the magic-wand fix it's being made out to be.

159892199_10208483214356096_5338634921311107666_o.jpg

What is all this mumble bumble bullshit.
You're just looking to expand on DQ's nonsense.
How about when we get the puck in deep, we cycle to find and opening and crash the net?? Ffs
It's not rocket science..

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What is all this mumble bumble bullshit.
You're just looking to expand on DQ's nonsense.
How about when we get the puck in deep, we cycle to find and opening and crash the net?? Ffs
It's not rocket science..
I'm basically driving the Fire Quinn bus but go on.

I bodied Quinn twice in that post that you didn't read.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fox is good enough that Zibanejad would have adjusted by now. The problem is on Zibanejad's end.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm basically driving the Fire Quinn bus but go on.

I bodied Quinn twice in that post that you didn't read.

You're throwing stats at this and not getting to what really needs to be done.
This is a very simple fix..

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
As much as the numbers might say otherwise, I do think there is something to this that the xG models might not be capturing. And not just in terms how pass accuracy but the pace at which they distribute the puck.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I did but it still doesn't offer a solution other than for DQ being the problem which I'm obviously on board with..
As opposed to your solution which was "Quinn is the problem.." with less analysis and more periods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad