Power play

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Positives are that Ottawa now has a great system for entering the offensive zone during PP (speed up by Karlsson, drop pass, diagonal pass to either side and then enter) and our scoring percentage is decent despite not playing too great during the PP.

The biggest negatives, according to me, is that everyone continuously forces passes to Karlsson and expect him to be able to receive and do something with horrible bobble passes even though he's already closely covered. It seems like every single player is scared not to include him, or they simply don't think that the rest of them can create a great scoring chance without him. Either way, it makes the PP extremely predictable.

Karlsson is always covered and when he gets the puck they always favor him and his side, to take away all his time and space. This also gives the rest of the PP-unit more time and space, which they never seem to be able to do anything with anyway.

What I would like to see, is forwards bringing the puck down to behind the net. Both to create chances of their own, but also to force the PK-unit to fall deeper to defend. Right now it's so predictable that Karlsson is always forcibly passed to, that they caqn just cheat with one guy and still get away with it. Karlsson should be used as one piece of the unit, not the piece where everything has to go through.

If we place Zibanejad at the half-boards and just feed him pucks to one-time, the exact same thing will happen to him. The pk-unit will realize that he's getting the puck over and over again, and they will start to stay closer to him.

I guess what I'm saying is that the PP needs more creativity and plays made down low, instead of just forcing plays up to the blue-line, to Karlsson.

Since Karlsson seems to be on the ice for about 1,40 of each pp, it's even more important to have the rest of the crew involved, or he won't have the energy to stay out as long as he does. Though, I do think he's staying out too long from time to time.

Also, I say just stack up on the first PP-unit, having Ryan on the 2nd is just stupid in my eyes. He should be on the first line and the first pp-unit, in my world at least. We don't have a Holmstrom on this team, who's the ugly crease guy, I think we need one. Best for the job is possibly Chiasson, if he can work on deflections and positioning. So...He should have that role on the second unit.

* Hoffman has zero pp-points.:amazed::amazed:
* Turris has 4 :cry:

PP:1

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan

Ceci/Zibanejad-Karlsson

PP:2

Chiasson-Stone-Hoffman

Zibanejad/Ceci-Karlsson/Wier​

The problem with PP-2 is obviously the lack of a center to take the draws, which means that it will come on in play, not at a blown whistle. If there is a faceoff in defensive zone, Legwand/Lazar can take it and then go off - or simply let Stone handle them, his FO-percentage is higher anyway (granted, with a much smaller amount of draws)

And as you notice, I believe that Ceci deserves a chance on the PP. Zib and he will be used on the 1st or 2nd depending on who's more rested and what kind of system the coaches want to use in the upcoming PP. Zib = shots, Ceci = safer play, more passing than shooting.

This would be much easier to setup in a way that would make me satisfied, if I could use Spezza:cry:

Most important. No Phillips and no Legwand. I'd rather try Lazar in that case. heck, even Smith, he could probably fill a Holmstrom:ish role.

Last edited:

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
IMO Ottawa could use a left-shooting partner to work with Karlsson. The PP is a lot more predictable when you can only one-time it from one side.

(We have to be the only team in the league that has the problem of too many right shots on the PP. And it's been like this for years!)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A couple points;

Turris' 4 pts is not all that bad; it's a pace of 17-18, which would be ok but not great.

for the second unit, you have Zibanejad as a point option, so he could take the draw and then cycle back to the point. Alternatively, I don't acutally mind Legwand as a 2nd unit option, I'm just not a fan of him on the first unit. He wins draws, and posesion is huge on a PP. Personally, I'd love to see Wier and Ceci man the point on that second unit (meaning no Zibanejad on the point).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
coaches are a weak link on the team imo. players often look a little unsure. less so this year but still too much hesitation.
getting the best players on the ice together would be a terrific start.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Our biggest problem on the PP is that we have no shot outside of Karlsson.

Turris doesn't have a one-timer and he barely shoots.

Legwand same thing. Wiercioch same thing but he does shoot to his credit.

We need Hoffman/Zibanejad alongside Karlsson I'd even ****ing put Gryba.

If you look at any team effective on the PP it's cause they have 2 lethal top options including strong playmakers down-low.

What's even worse is when the puck is down low, our forwards don't do much from there too.

Ryan-Zibanejad-Stone
Karlsson-Ceci

Turris-Chaisson-MacArthur
Hoffman-Karlsson

What's funny is our PP is top 10 but I believe we still don't use it to its best possible extent.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
another big issue on the PP is we have no player movement. Everyone just stays in the same place passing it back and forth between two players.

The other teams gets so ****ing confused that we don't do anything on the PP they overthink the coverage and somehow we end up scoring a goal.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Would like to see Lazar for 2nd line powerplay sometimes and use Legwand on the pk.

Karlsson2Turris*

Get Legwand off the PP.

Ryan-Turris-Mac
Zibanejad-Karlsson

Chiasson-Lazar-Stone
Hoffman-Ceci

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad