Boston Bruins Power play ideas

MerlotLineFan

Jan 10, 2023
I need to preface this thread with the fact that I have not been able to watch hockey regularly since before the beginning of the 2018 season. I missed a lot, and I have finally found a way to actually watch the games. I am trying to fill knowledge gaps by joining this site and I have had a very good time learning thanks to a lot of the posts here. I started being a Bruins fan in the eighties, but as I lived cross country, seeing the games were few and far between. Fast forward to current day, and I amazed at our talent, skill and relentless play. It is such a pleasure watching everyone playing hockey the right way. I see no one just going for a skate on this team, which is awesome.

However, the power play has become stagnant. There is far too much of people going to their "spot" on the ice and just waiting for a pass. So, I have been thinking about when Claude used to move Chara to the front of the net when our old power play stagnated. It wasn't an instant fix, but it at least gave a different dynamic. I know several posters have pointed out that shots from the point are practically non-existent, so why not move one of our defensemen down in front of the crease. I know McAvoy is not the biggest defensemen, but it would give us at least a screen in front of the goalie. The question is, have we tried it before, and I haven't seen it? While I haven't been able to watch the games, I hit Youtube to watch the highlights when the games end, and I haven't seen him there before.

I would love to get other's ideas as how to improve the power play. I have seen a few people advocate Orlov taking McAvoy's place on PP1, and I think it is a good idea.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Orlov and Krejci on points, Marchand, Bergy, Pasta down low.

Funnel more shots from the point. Use Pasta as more of a decoy since other teams have completely solved the Bruins' PP by just blanketing his side since they spam the one-timer from the left dot too much

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I need to preface this thread with the fact that I have not been able to watch hockey regularly since before the beginning of the 2018 season. I missed a lot, and I have finally found a way to actually watch the games. I am trying to fill knowledge gaps by joining this site and I have had a very good time learning thanks to a lot of the posts here. I started being a Bruins fan in the eighties, but as I lived cross country, seeing the games were few and far between. Fast forward to current day, and I amazed at our talent, skill and relentless play. It is such a pleasure watching everyone playing hockey the right way. I see no one just going for a skate on this team, which is awesome.

However, the power play has become stagnant. There is far too much of people going to their "spot" on the ice and just waiting for a pass. So, I have been thinking about when Claude used to move Chara to the front of the net when our old power play stagnated. It wasn't an instant fix, but it at least gave a different dynamic. I know several posters have pointed out that shots from the point are practically non-existent, so why not move one of our defensemen down in front of the crease. I know McAvoy is not the biggest defensemen, but it would give us at least a screen in front of the goalie. The question is, have we tried it before, and I haven't seen it? While I haven't been able to watch the games, I hit Youtube to watch the highlights when the games end, and I haven't seen him there before.

I would love to get other's ideas as how to improve the power play. I have seen a few people advocate Orlov taking McAvoy's place on PP1, and I think it is a good idea.

I think Chara's effectiveness there was because of his size and reach. I think JDB is a very good net front presence when he's used that way.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying about working the PP from the point down ---hopefully with shots getting through for tips and rebounds.

I can't even begin to put a number on it, but it seems as if a lot of the time when Pasta scores from the LW circle, it's not necessarily when the play was set up to go there, instead it seems to happen a lot after play breaks down due to another player taking a shot and the defense is scrambling to get back in position.

Until something clicks, I think I'd spread out the current top 5 PP guys and try to play them more evenly.

Maybe Pasta, Bergeron and Marchand with Krejci and Orlov on PP1

Then (if it's in the flow of play) Zacha, JDB, Bertuzzi with McAvoy and Lindholm.

(If needed, Bergeron or Krejci can stay out for the faceoff in place of Bertuzzi).

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Orlov on the opposite side of Pasta. Can go to either shooter. Make it happen!

ps: you're not supposed to criticize anything worth improving with this current team. Makes you a bad fan :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: MerlotLineFan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
For me I think Marchand is the x-factor on the PP unit. If you look he has just 1G & 2A on he PP over his last 20 games. He's doesn't seem to want to shoot and in most cases he doesn't even look at the net, he just fires it back to the point or to Bergeron in the bumper. Add to that McAvoy also looks to distribute vs shoot and it seems to make it easier to defend. The only options left are:

Pastrnak one-timer
Bergeron in the bumper
DeBrusk on a jam play

Not saying this is what teams do, but if you takeaway Bergeorn & Pastrnak, it leaves DeBrusk on the jam play. DeBrusk himself won't always go for the jam and instead kick it back out to Marchand or force it to Bergeron.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
The Bs PP started hot, but is progressively cooling down.
1678135114798.png

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
For me I think Marchand is the x-factor on the PP unit. If you look he has just 1G & 2A on he PP over his last 20 games. He's doesn't seem to want to shoot and in most cases he doesn't even look at the net, he just fires it back to the point or to Bergeron in the bumper. Add to that McAvoy also looks to distribute vs shoot and it seems to make it easier to defend. The only options left are:

Pastrnak one-timer
Bergeron in the bumper
DeBrusk on a jam play

Not saying this is what teams do, but if you takeaway Bergeorn & Pastrnak, it leaves DeBrusk on the jam play. DeBrusk himself won't always go for the jam and instead kick it back out to Marchand or force it to Bergeron.
the Marchand thing is spot-on. I know it's kind of a cop-out but honestly my answer to the original question is: "do nothing".

Like sure mix it up a bit with the new guys to see what works, but in the end we know what that first unit is capable of. I don't think this is an X's & O's problem. I think it's an execution problem and it's up to guys like 63 and 88 to just work through this slump. Hopefully the coaches can help, but if they do IMO it'll be more psychological than tactical.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Bs PP started hot, is progressively cooling down.
View attachment 664302

Thanks for putting in the leg work so I can piggy back off this. In my previous post mentioned Marchand being the "x-factor" of the power play. Using what you did here (thank you again) I looked at Marchand PP Production each month. I didn't include October since he was out for all but 1 game in October:

1678135491327.png

Maybe its just a coincidence, but as Marchand's PP production has dropped, so as the PP% in general.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
the Marchand thing is spot-on. I know it's kind of a cop-out but honestly my answer to the original question is: "do nothing".

Like sure mix it up a bit with the new guys to see what works, but in the end we know what that first unit is capable of. I don't think this is an X's & O's problem. I think it's an execution problem and it's up to guys like 63 and 88 to just work through this slump. Hopefully the coaches can help, but if they do IMO it'll be more psychological than tactical.

If I did anything I'd consider swapping out McAvoy for Lindholm or Orlov. I want to see what the PP looks like with a point man that's willing to fire pucks on net. On a more "extreme" change I'd roll Pastrnak, Marchand, Bergeron, Lindholm, Orlov.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
If I did anything I'd consider swapping out McAvoy for Lindholm or Orlov. I want to see what the PP looks like with a point man that's willing to fire pucks on net. On a more "extreme" change I'd roll Pastrnak, Marchand, Bergeron, Lindholm, Orlov.
Your point on Marchand is good insight.
One remedy for the PP could be to insert Orlov on the PP1, because, as you said, having a point man willing to shoot at the net might open up other lanes.
Maybe teams are now "ready" for the one timer to Pasta and/or the bumper to Bergeron. Having another option would make it harder to defend against so many different weapons.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't mind the bumper pass when Bergeron doesn't have a guy attached to him. So many times I've watched them force the pass and the defending player either picks it off, or gets a stick on it and it goes 90 feet over the glass.

I like the idea of Marchand going low, or whoever is playing there taking it right too the net. A lot of the times the puck goes to an open shooter. It also seems to always force the defending players to collapse in towards the crease freeing up the other wingers.

Orlov on PP1 is a big thing for me, mainly because he seems to have a very heavy shot. Haven't had a d-man in quite some time that can straight up bury a shot from behind the hash marks.

PP1:

Orlov
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk

PP2:

Lindhom/McAvoy
Hall - Krejci - Zacha
Bertuzzi

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Earlier in the year #88 was feeding #37 for slot tips or redirects and hitting #63 at the far post. Need to do that more often.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
IMO...one thing is sure, DK is Boston's best passer... need to be in!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't mind the bumper pass when Bergeron doesn't have a guy attached to him. So many times I've watched them force the pass and the defending player either picks it off, or gets a stick on it and it goes 90 feet over the glass.

I like the idea of Marchand going low, or whoever is playing there taking it right too the net. A lot of the times the puck goes to an open shooter. It also seems to always force the defending players to collapse in towards the crease freeing up the other wingers.

Orlov on PP1 is a big thing for me, mainly because he seems to have a very heavy shot. Haven't had a d-man in quite some time that can straight up bury a shot from behind the hash marks.

PP1:

Orlov
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk

PP2:

Lindhom/McAvoy
Hall - Krejci - Zacha
Bertuzzi
Nailed it! Orlov wasn't as productive on the Caps' PP as he could have been because their whole PP is based on getting the puck to Ovi in his office. Orlov has a cannon of a shot and is also a really good passer. Would make the D have to think more with him on the ice with the Bs best weapons. Also agree with sending Marchy down low. Seems like a no-brainer. Drives me nuts that the Bs have all these weapons yet seem so crystallized in their approach to the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad