Power play concerns!?!?

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Granted pre-season is a bad indicator but the eye test, our 1st line PP looked pretty solid. The 2nd line might have some issues but I don't think that either unit is going to "struggle".

They should be in the top half of the NHL overall and in my opinion top 5 if Kindl progresses and Alfie has as large an impact as expected.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The 1st unit should be fine. The 2nd unit could be good if Tatar and Nyquist were involved. 2nd unit will struggle.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Alfredsson helps a lot out point-play. I wasn't impressed about Kronwall's leading point-role at last season, but now Alfie takes some load off from him.

Sammy sucked at 1st PP when Alfie was off from roster, but I think he will ok at 2nd unit against easier PK units.

Zeta - Dats - Abdelkader (screen)

Kronwall - Alfredsson

Franzen - Weiss - Bertuzzi (screen)

Kindl - Samuelsson

These should be the opening night units.

8 PP-forwards leaves Emmerton, Miller, Andersson and Cleary for PK.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Can't find the tweet but I remember reading that the Wings were using these units in practice:

Z-D-Franzen
Kronwall-Alfie

Cleary-Weiss-Bert
Kindl-Sammy

If this is true the 1st unit should be good but they might as well just leave them out there for the full 2 min cause that abomination of a 2nd unit isn't going to get jack **** done. Feel sorry for Kindl and Weiss there, basically being set up to fail.

babcockscowl

Mar 17, 2011
Buffalo NY
Those two players you mentioned do not play on the Detroit Red Wings.:(

all thanks to this guy

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38.jpg

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Can't find the tweet but I remember reading that the Wings were using these units in practice:

Z-D-Franzen
Kronwall-Alfie

Cleary-Weiss-Bert
Kindl-Sammy

If this is true the 1st unit should be good but they might as well just leave them out there for the full 2 min cause that abomination of a 2nd unit isn't going to get jack **** done. Feel sorry for Kindl and Weiss there, basically being set up to fail.

Not necessary a bad 2nd unit as long as the puck is in the right zone. If the first unit can nail the puck inte the offensive end Weiss can win the face off, and both Kindl and Samuelsson will shoot at first opportunity, while Bert and Cleary is decent at standing around the crease. The PP may not be that creative, buy I think it's better for PP2 to keep it simple. Watch out for turnovers though!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
all thanks to this guy

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38.jpg

Um Tatar is being benched by the guy in your avatar picture and they weren't getting the right time because of the same guy in your picture. Holland though shouldn't have given Babcock a chance to choose some of that personnel so he does share a substantial part of that burden. But make no mistake Tatar is press boxed by Babcock not Holland right now.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Nyquist and Tatar apparently didn't grab their piece of the cheese according to Babcock

babcockscowl

Mar 17, 2011
Buffalo NY
Um Tatar is being benched by the guy in your avatar picture and they weren't getting the right time because of the same guy in your picture. Holland though shouldn't have given Babcock a chance to choose some of that personnel so he does share a substantial part of that burden. But make no mistake Tatar is press boxed by Babcock not Holland right now.

it's easier to blame Holland

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
it's easier to blame Holland

I agree. I'm obviously a Babcock supporter, but he should do his job, and his job is to win. So if the Wings don't win, he's not doing his job well.

On the other hand, Holland is his boss. So if Babcock isn't doing his job, it's up to Holland to fix that problem.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Z-D-Franzen
Kronwall-Alfie

Cleary-Weiss-Bert
Kindl-Sammy

If that's the case, then Abdelkeader is a penalty-killer?

Non-PP-forwards: Andersson, Abdelkader, Miller, Emmerton = PK TOP4.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Really looking forward to see how Alfredsson elevates the PP. If Sabres are poorly disciplined, this could real ugly, real fast.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No Abby on pk please.

Keep him fresh for ES minutes with Dats and Z. Those minutes will be hard enough already without him being stressed on pk.

He is a young guy and can play the minutes. Depends on what else is going down and he shouldn't play huge minutes there but he isn't terrible at it. Would rather watch him than some of the other guys.

Don't forget this beauty in game 7 of the Ducks series.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm more concerned with the PK
-and the lack of speed on our "energy lines"
--and the reluctance to play youth

I think the PP will be just fine, I'm not worried about them at all. Unless Cleary is out there on the 2nd unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad