Power forward prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blah

Jun 24, 2003
db23 said:
Carter only had 65 points this year in the OHL. :shakehead
5 goals in 12 AHL playoff games as well I believe.
Hossa said:
I'll back up Boomhower on this one. While he has a great shot, so does Andre Roy, which is actually a pretty fair comparison for Eager. He lacks hands or hockey sense. He seriously lacks both in fact. He's got size, speed and heavy but inaccurate shot, and he fights. But he is by no means a scoring line prospect at this point. He may find himself more succesful in the professional game, but I'd be incredibly surprised if he's ever a scoring line player in the NHL. Simply put, he lacks the hands or head.
It has to be taken w/ a grain of salt b/c it was only a prospect camp, but everybody who was there said he looked really good. Hopefully he plays w/ Umberger in the AHL next season and we can get a better idea of his scoring line potential. He'll be given every chance to develop in Philly.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
blah said:
5 goals in 12 AHL playoff games as well I believe.

It has to be taken w/ a grain of salt b/c it was only a prospect camp, but everybody who was there said he looked really good. Hopefully he plays w/ Umberger in the AHL next season and we can get a better idea of his scoring line potential. He'll be given every chance to develop in Philly.

Thats no surprise, Ben is capable of looking very good when he raises his level of play. I believe he was the 1st star of one of the games for Ontario against the Russians. Hossa and Boomhower are however correct when it comes to his hands and hockey sense, both leave plenty to be desired.... If Ben ever see's time in the top 6 at the NHL level it will be more as a complimentary type who can create some chaos do the the dirty work, not because he has the ideal top 6 skillset.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
db23 said:
Daniel Tkaczuk, Oleg Saprykin, Eric Nystrom, Brent Krahn, Chuck Kobasew, Denis Gauthier, Rico Fata, Jasper Mattson, Niklas Sundblad.......
You do realize Chuck Kobasew, Denis Gauthier, Rico Fata, and Oleg Saprykin are all playing in the NHL right?

Eric Nystrom as well. Oh, and way to forget one of the best prospects in the NHL, Dion Phaneuf.

chris39bong

Yeah Dustin Brown is a fearless hockey player. He doesn't really have much of a mean streak, and he's not overly big, but he likes to throw his weight around and can take a beating in front of and driving to the net.

Drafted a few spots after him was Steve Bernier. A bigger player, again without a whole lot of a mean streak, but can dish out and take hits. Plays a mixed power forward/skilled game. Might turn out to be something along the lines of Shane Doan.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
db23 said:
I think that Ovechkin, Malkin, and Olesz are the only true power forwards from this summer's draft.

Uhh.. Andrew Ladd?

Not sure I'd classify any of those guys as 'power forwards'.

Kris Chucko is also definetly a power forward.

That's about if from the first round. You could say guys like Bruce Grahame in the second round or later are power forwards too though.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
GorillazXL said:
Anthony Stewart has the size and strength, but I can't see him being a big scorer like Horton. IMO he'll be a type of player you need on a cup winner, tough but skilled enough put up some points. 45+ pts/ season

Lauri Tukonen is probally the most well rounded out of the four and can see playing a high energy game but not a Bertuzzi like player where he'll charge the net with the puck. I think he'll have the scoring touch of Guerin, but without the mean streak that Guerin has. 65pts+/season

Jeff Carter IMHO is top notch talent as far as centers go, hopefully he'll mode into a Primeau but in a shorter time. His play during the WJC was terrific, he's defensively aware and contributes when the opportunity is there. Tough to move, at least against junior level players. 65pts+/season

Andrew Ladd I'm not a huge fan of him, I really think him playing with Getzlaf this year made him a higher draft then his skills would dictate. IMO he'll be a good NHLer but I wouldn't expect him to be a sniper like Nash. 45+pts/ season

I would say Carter is the best pick of the bunch

GXL
I went to 2 pre season games last year and to tell u the truth personally i thought stewart was more impresive. He was flying around the ice like a mad man taking carolina players out like they were migit players. Horton looked more uncomfortable. Now i agree now that after a full season with Fl, Hortons skills are better. But i think in the end Stew will be a better player. I saw him skate with the rookie prospects camp this year and he was toying with those guys and knocking them on their a@@. he was def. a standout.

CoolburnIsGone

pucks1 said:
I went to 2 pre season games last year and to tell u the truth personally i thought stewart was more impresive. He was flying around the ice like a mad man taking carolina players out like they were migit players. Horton looked more uncomfortable. Now i agree now that after a full season with Fl, Hortons skills are better. But i think in the end Stew will be a better player. I saw him skate with the rookie prospects camp this year and he was toying with those guys and knocking them on their a@@. he was def. a standout.
I would disagree with last preseason regarding Stewart & Horton. Horton got better as the preseason went on (and then later during the regular season) and Stewart tailed off quite a bit after the first game or 2. I also don't think the Bertuzzi comparison is all that accurate either (but he's the prototypical PF). Stewart hasn't really dominated the OHL (stats-wise) but he has the physical tools you want in a player. I've heard the comparison of Stewart & Iginla before and it seems possible but still not all that likely. Stewart needs to make sure he keeps his weight down so that he can maintain his quickness. I think Anthony tops out at 60 pts/yr and averages about 45-50 most yrs when he hits his prime. And I do like what he brings and he is what I consider a 2nd line PF but to expect him to be like a Bertuzzi, Iginla, etc. is a bit far fetched IMO (maybe if he tore up the OHL last season I could see it)

Horton will definitely be a better player than Stewart no questions in my eyes after watching him all last yr. And I saw both last yr in the prospect camp and they were evenly matched. I think its fair to say that FL could have a solid 1-2-3 punch on the right side with Horton, Stewart and Globke (not necessarily in that order) of guys with all possibly being in a PF mold.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Jay Thompson said:
Uhh.. Andrew Ladd?

Not sure I'd classify any of those guys as 'power forwards'.

Kris Chucko is also definetly a power forward.

Fully agree with you, it's the usual case of people using the term 'power forward' too freely.

Ovechkin, Malkin and Olesz are not and will not become power forwards unless something radical happens in their developement, simply being gritty, high-scoring forward doesn't make you a powerforward (see Marian Hossa & Peter Forsberg). Besides, I'm not convinced that you can call Olesz even gritty...

Also this applies to Tukonen, while he's gritty and not afraid to play physical, he simply lacks mean streak and willingness to intimidate opponents which are essential abilities for a powerforward.

Ladd is IMHO the only potential powerforward of the top picks in the draft and even he needs more of a mean streak. Chucko needs more seasons in more competitive league to see if he has real potential to become a NHL-powerforward or will he become just another physical grinder a la Darren McCarty.

Last edited:

Vipers

May 17, 2002
Visit site
Pepper said:
Fully agree with you, it's the usual case of people using the term 'power forward' too freely.

Ovechkin, Malkin and Olesz are not and will not become power forwards unless something radical happens in their developement, simply being gritty, high-scoring forward doesn't make you a powerforward (see Marian Hossa & Peter Forsberg). Besides, I'm not convinced that you can call Olesz even gritty...

Also this applies to Tukonen, while he's gritty and not afraid to play physical, he simply lacks mean streak and willingness to intimidate opponents which are essential abilities for a powerforward.

Ladd is IMHO the only potential powerforward of the top picks in the draft and even he needs more of a mean streak. Chucko needs more seasons in more competitive league to see if he has real potential to become a NHL-powerforward or will he become just another physical grinder a la Darren McCarty.

Agree 100% with you, I only see Chucko with a better off. potential than McCarthy.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Vipers said:
Agree 100% with you, I only see Chucko with a better off. potential than McCarthy.
Agreed, Chucko has some very good moves. I beleive he put up more points as a 17 year old with Salmon Arm then Zajac did at the same age. Chucko is going to the University of Minnesota this fall to play with the Golden Gophers, a program that has just begun to let people from other States play.. much less a player from Canada. They must see something in Kris Chucko because it is a rare feat for a Canadian to be invited to play for them. I hold the Golden Gopher hockey program in very high regards. The kid could be a sleeper.

Also I haven't seen Lukas Kaspar in this thread, he is a big guy, plays hard.. might be a power forward.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I'm not saying that Chucko isn't talented, I'm just saying that the quality & level of the league he played in is relatively weak which means that we don't know how good he will be against major juniors for example.

And no, I haven't seen him play, I just think that the level of opposition could have made him look better than he actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad