Power forward prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

What do you mean as "power forward"? If you mean big strong grinder type wingers, I think they are all fairly equal. But I don't think any of them will be a "power forward" in the sense of a Brendan Shanahan or Jerome Iginla or Ryan Smyth. None of them will be prolific scorers at the NHL level.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
It is much to early to tell, but I feel that Stewart in particular, and Carter have the size, and the skill aswell as the toughness to battle down low and drive to the net.
I think there will be some power forwards out of this group. How good will they be, or how long will it take to them to reach that level, who knows? Bertuzzi showed flashes for a number of years, before he finally put it all together.

X-SHARKIE

If your in a keeper league here is what I would do.

1. Draft Anthony Stewart, no hesitation. I love Anthony Stewart and he could/should be the next Todd Bertuzzi. I love Anthony Stewart, one of the most underated prospects in the NHL.

2. Jeff Carter: He's a great player, I would take this kid over Andrew Ladd.

3. Andrew Ladd: 70 point upside if him and Staal form a tandem

4. Lauri Tukonen: He's really now a powerforward, he likes to hit and forecheck hard but I wouldn't say he's a powerforward.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Thanks for the input Sharkie, but it is a little curious that you and db, differ in your analysis of these prospects. I respect both of your opinions and insights, and I would agree with you on most of what you said. The only problem I have is with Ladd, who in my opinion is in the worst situation as far as help. That being said he should be a player, but there is a lot of pressure for him to succeed in Carolina, and I need to see much more from him if I am going to jump on the Ladd bandwagon.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Anthony Stewart has the size and strength, but I can't see him being a big scorer like Horton. IMO he'll be a type of player you need on a cup winner, tough but skilled enough put up some points. 45+ pts/ season

Lauri Tukonen is probally the most well rounded out of the four and can see playing a high energy game but not a Bertuzzi like player where he'll charge the net with the puck. I think he'll have the scoring touch of Guerin, but without the mean streak that Guerin has. 65pts+/season

Jeff Carter IMHO is top notch talent as far as centers go, hopefully he'll mode into a Primeau but in a shorter time. His play during the WJC was terrific, he's defensively aware and contributes when the opportunity is there. Tough to move, at least against junior level players. 65pts+/season

Andrew Ladd I'm not a huge fan of him, I really think him playing with Getzlaf this year made him a higher draft then his skills would dictate. IMO he'll be a good NHLer but I wouldn't expect him to be a sniper like Nash. 45+pts/ season

I would say Carter is the best pick of the bunch

GXL

West19

Jul 19, 2004
db23 said:
Carter only had 65 points this year in the OHL. :shakehead

he was also on on of the worst teams in the leauge, plus he missed some games due too the world juniors. Of the bunch i think Carter has the best career ahead of him.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Since when is Carter a powerforward. Yeah he's can be hard to move and can throw a big hit, but he doesn't really play a power forward game. The only Flyers prospect that does is Eager.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
paxtang said:
Since when is Carter a powerforward. Yeah he's can be hard to move and can throw a big hit, but he doesn't really play a power forward game. The only Flyers prospect that does is Eager.

Not really, If you don't have top 6 upside than you're not considered a power forward. Prospects who play a physical style, but don't have any finnish are considered potential NHL grinders.... not so much power forwards. When was the last time Chris Neil or Adam Mair were considered power forwards?

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Power Forward is one of the most overused terms by fans and the media. It should really only apply to big nasty bastards who can score. None of the aformentioned prospects has shown enough of a mean streak to be coined a power forward. Stewart and Ladd have potential as a PF but neither is deserving of that title at this time.

Last edited:

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Boomhower said:
Not really, If you don't have top 6 upside than you're not considered a power forward. Prospects who play a physical style, but don't have any finnish are considered potential NHL grinders.... not so much power forwards. When was the last time Chris Neil or Adam Mair were considered power forwards?
Eager doesn't have top six upside? Everything from the Flyers prospect camp has said he's shown as much talent as Carter and Richards. I think he is going to be great for the Phantoms this year.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
GorillazXL said:
Andrew Ladd I'm not a huge fan of him, I really think him playing with Getzlaf this year made him a higher draft then his skills would dictate. IMO he'll be a good NHLer but I wouldn't expect him to be a sniper like Nash. 45+pts/ season
GXL

Is that just from what you've heard, or have you seen Ladd play live?

Because, if anything this past season, Ladd made Getzlaf look golden more often then the other way around.

Ladd's strength may not lie in his ability to throw his body around, but more his perception of the play on the ice, and his anticipation is excellent.

In complete honesty, taking in work ethic, talent, and sheer desire, I'd split the bill 50/50 on Getzlaf and Ladd...if not give the edge to Ladd...simply because he wants it far more then Getzlaf.

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
I agree with Paxtang. Carter is absolutely not a power forward. Sure he is one of the best prospect at the time. He's got high skills, is really talented, but it's because he is 6"3 that he's a PF. He's got the size to be it, but he ISN'T.

A. Stewart is.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
paxtang said:
Eager doesn't have top six upside? Everything from the Flyers prospect camp has said he's shown as much talent as Carter and Richards. I think he is going to be great for the Phantoms this year.

Well he might have top 6 upside for the Phantoms, but his lack of hands give him virtually no shot at scoring with any regularity in the NHL.

db23

I think that Ovechkin, Malkin, and Olesz are the only true power forwards from this summer's draft.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
I think that Ovechkin, Malkin, and Olesz are the only true power forwards from this summer's draft.

By power forward, peopel usually mean big, mean and caqn run you over.

Ovechkin is the closest to that, the other two arent close to being power forwards.

Power forwards dont get Phaneufed.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
Tell that to Lindros.

Yeah i guess ya got me there :)

But point still remains, Olesz is far from a power forward...more like a 2way kinda guy.

If Malkin fills out he has a chance to be, but i still think he will be more of a fennese type.

leafaholix*

La-La-Laprise said:
I dont like the comparison, but thats my opinion.
Well, he's a North American version of Mats.

Offensively, he's very similar. Especially in his physique and skating.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Jeff Carter = Mats Sundin.

Take it to the bank.

:snide:

I've thought of Carter as more of a hybrid of Thornton/Modano for style of play. Moves around in the offensive zone/near the net like Thornton but skates like Modano. I guess, in a way, that is sort of like Sundin.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leafaholix said:
Well, he's a North American version of Mats.

Offensively, he's very similar. Especially in his physique and skating.
He looks like him when he plays but i dunno, he seems too skinny to play the way Mats plays. But he could add weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->