Potvin sucks

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I have a personal rule. I will only participate during the first PS whistle of the night. Any ones after that are stupid.

Do it once, its tradition, do it anymore than that and its ****ing annoying.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
The chant started in 1979, I was born in 1982 -- even though it was before my time, I still respect the rivalry because my Dad always reminds me how intense it was. Theres nothing like it now.

Its disappointing that this thread comes up every year, likely from johnny-come-lately Ranger fans who weren't part of what started it. Its selfish.

I think it's more selfish to have a bunch of drunk idiots who likely couldn't tell you Potvin's first name doing the whistle. Been going to games with my Dad for over 20 years now and he thinks its played out and tired. It doesn't bring him back to the good old days or anything like that. I could understand doing it when we play the Islanders, but against a team like the Panthers? I just don't see the point.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think it's more selfish to have a bunch of drunk idiots who likely couldn't tell you Potvin's first name doing the whistle. Been going to games with my Dad for over 20 years now and he thinks its played out and tired. It doesn't bring him back to the good old days or anything like that. I could understand doing it when we play the Islanders, but against a team like the Panthers? I just don't see the point.

Potvin is an announcer for the Panthers.

...if there was ever a time to chant it against a team thats not the Islanders...:shakehead

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Potvin is an announcer for the Panthers.

...if there was ever a time to chant it against a team thats not the Islanders...:shakehead

Well ya got me there. :handclap:

Either way, I still find it annoying. I know its not going away, but its funny when half the people yell "Potvin sucks" and the other half yell "this chant sucks". I could live with it once a game, but more than that is just overkill.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Well ya got me there. :handclap:

Either way, I still find it annoying. I know its not going away, but its funny when half the people yell "Potvin sucks" and the other half yell "this chant sucks". I could live with it once a game, but more than that is just overkill.

Whats so annoying about it? Better yet, whats so tough about just ignoring it?

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013

It just gets redundant. I don't see a need for it 20 times a game; especially when it gets progressively worse as the game goes on. Everyone keeps talking about tradition. Doing it once is tradition. Doing it 20 times and butchering it is a slap in the face to tradition.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

Honestly, I love the chant and the tradition, even though I fully acknowledge that Denis was one of the greatest players to ever play the game (and did not in fact suck!) :laugh:

My issue is usually with the drunk-beyond-belief fans who think they are "so cool" for starting the whistle...which is why it happens 15 times a game. It'd be better if there was one fan who always started the whistle, and did it once a game (or multiple times against the Isles...or Sens :sarcasm:)

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
It just gets redundant. I don't see a need for it 20 times a game; especially when it gets progressively worse as the game goes on. Everyone keeps talking about tradition. Doing it once is tradition. Doing it 20 times and butchering it is a slap in the face to tradition.

Well put. Throw in the fact that most fans don't know what the chant even refers too. I'm a young fan who never saw Potvin play, but I do know the history from 1979 and understand the rivalry from the late 70s and early 80s even if I wasn't there to experience it and fully appreciate it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I'll admit I liked it a lot less until I was at a game and got to join in. It was more just part of the atmosphere of being at a live game. It's annoying multiple times a night on T.V.

I think they should just keep the chant and update it to the most hated currently active rivalry player.

Dun dun dun, Mar-ty sucks!

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I didn't hear it at tonight's game at all. Someone tried to get one going after the anthem but it never went through.

The guy next to me remarked that it was only 45 seconds into the game when the first Potvin Sucks chant started last night.
As some who remembers 1979 and those great Islander/Rangers games the chant will live forever!

duffpm1

Oct 11, 2008
The chant should evolve, like UK Soccer chants do. Crosby Sucks works for me...

Dennis Potvin is a non-entity at this point...it is the equivilant of yankee fans chanting Who's your Daddy at a home game vs the rockies.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
2543969-this_will_be_the_sixth_time_we_have_created_a_thread_about_it.jpg

But really the chant is old and pointless. Potvin hasn't played since before i was born (only just). There's nobody in the game who played on the same ice as this guy, we should just let it die.

But that won't happen.

Mr Atoz*

Yeah, not our first go around with this. It's a stupid, outdated chant, but it's not gonna go anywhere at least until Potvin dies and we retire it out of respect for him and his family.

Are you really a Ranger fan?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Trust me, if we didn't win the Cup in 1994' Isles fans would still be chanting 1940 regardless of their own teams drought.

It's a small, minute reminder to fans both old and young that the rivalry exists. If the rivalry ever reaches the kind of crescendo it did in the late 70s or early 80s, every swinging dick wearing red, white and blue will be whistling and chanting. Trust me.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It was cool last week when Nilsson was in the building.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Trust me, if we didn't win the Cup in 1994' Isles fans would still be chanting 1940 regardless of their own teams drought.

It's a small, minute reminder to fans both old and young that the rivalry exists. If the rivalry ever reaches the kind of crescendo it did in the late 70s or early 80s, every swinging dick wearing red, white and blue will be whistling and chanting. Trust me.

Speaking of "1940", when do the "1994" chants get started. :D

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I brought this topic up at the game last night with some friends and some random fans sitting around me and it everyone I spoke too was in favor of the chant except for the 2 guys sitting behind me who didn't realize that there was a Potvin Sucks chant.
Potvin Sucks!
I think that November is a new record for this topic to appear on HFBoards:)

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I brought this topic up at the game last night with some friends and some random fans sitting around me and it everyone I spoke too was in favor of the chant except for the 2 guys sitting behind me who didn't realize that there was a Potvin Sucks chant.
Potvin Sucks!
I think that November is a new record for this topic to appear on HFBoards:)

Especially cause the Rangers played what one home game in October?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad