Potvin sucks

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Blah blah been over this, blah blah tradition, blah blah probably not going anywhere.

Yeah, not our first go around with this. It's a stupid, outdated chant, but it's not gonna go anywhere at least until Potvin dies and we retire it out of respect for him and his family.

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
Old chant, dead horse beaten indeed but Potvin still sucks.

It's more of rallying cry for NYR fans than it is an indictment against Potvin anymore.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Good to know. Thanks veteran.

wink-point.gif

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If anyone's listened to an Ottawa Senators broadcast recently you'd know it's still a relevant chat.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
However, I appreciate you trying to spark some conversation, man. You're a little newer than most of us, so it's important to remember that even though most of us are incorrigible pretentious ********, we still love you man.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I don't mind it. What does bother me, is that it's usually the loudest chant you'll hear at the game, which is ****ing pathetic. People would rather chant about a ****ing Islanders player that retired 25 years ago than cheer on the Rangers...

It's becoming somewhat popular to replace Potvin with other names, notably Crosby and OV. I like that a lot. Keeps the tradition alive, while taking the stupidity out of it.

Dec 13, 2010
I like the idea of during the first shift of every game having a "Potvin Sucks" and then retiring it for the night. My issue isn't with the chant itself as much as it is with the fact that after 3 or 4 times it gets so played out and only the REAL drunk dudes actually go along with it.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
I never participate in the chant anymore at the now-fully-renovated MSG. It's definitely old news, I agree. It's been dying down though, no? Sometimes it's nearly inaudible, the whistle is louder than the chant.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
It would have been a fun tradition to maintain if it happened once a game...but it seems like everyone and their mother wants to do the let's go band whistle, so we hear it 5 times every night.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
No such thing as outdated because that 1978-1984 rivalry with the Islanders was so incredible. The thing that cracked me up was when the crowd at a Knicks game started chanting it around 14 years ago in one game.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The chant started in 1979, I was born in 1982 -- even though it was before my time, I still respect the rivalry because my Dad always reminds me how intense it was. Theres nothing like it now.

Its disappointing that this thread comes up every year, likely from johnny-come-lately Ranger fans who weren't part of what started it. Its selfish.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Potvin still sucks, so why not remind him? ;)

As long as everyone chanting it understands why it happens, then I don't mind it. It does lose it's meaning though when it's done 20 times a night. I'm sure there are people at the game who DVR the telecast so they can go back and watch/listen to every time they decided to do the let's go band whistle.

I'd rather personalize it though. When we're playing the Isles, Potvin Sucks your heart out. When we're playing the Sens, Potvin Sucks your heart out.

Wouldn't mind then personalizing it though to the team we're playing. Pens? Crosby sucks. Devils? Marty sucks. etc... Would take way too much effort to do something like that though :laugh:

It's gonna stick around, get used to it :dunno:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I don't mind it lately, it's one of the few things left that gives the Garden an old school feel. I'd rather hear "Potvin Sucks" chants than Pitbull songs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad