Player Discussion Potential value players

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I had another thread similar to this one, talking about players who will be of value not only money wise but on ice as well.

Boone Jenner, Nic Petan, Andre Burakovsky.

I've landed on two others so far: Matthew Peca and Martin Frk.

Imagine this forward line up:

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Burakovsky - Drai - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Jenner - Petan
Peca - Khaira - Frk
Cagguila / Aberg

Gone are Strome and Kassian

That's a playoff team, yeah?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
There's way too many question marks in that line up. It's like half an NHL forward roster mixed with half of an AHL all star team. I could see every line aside from the 1st line with McDavid falling flat on their faces. Lucic will probably have an even lower career low playing with Jenner and Petan.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I had another thread similar to this one, talking about players who will be of value not only money wise but on ice as well.

Boone Jenner, Nic Petan, Andre Burakovsky.

I've landed on two others so far: Matthew Peca and Martin Frk.

Imagine this forward line up:

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Burakovsky - Drai - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Jenner - Petan
Peca - Khaira - Frk
Cagguila / Aberg

Gone are Strome and Kassian

That's a playoff team, yeah?

who did we give up to get those players

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
who did we give up to get those players
Per Helene St. James the Wings won't be qualifying Frk, but might still offer him a new contract. He could potentially hit free agency, Wings fans aren't high on him, but he is an asset on the PP cause of his tremendous shot.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I mean a guy like Booner JEnner or Burakiovsky or Petan

Probably a late second or a third rounder for Petan. He'll have to clear waivers this year, so it's pressbox or waivers and gone to someone else this year, there's no room for him on a healthy Jets team with Maurice's bottom 6 PK strategy.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Probably a late second or a third rounder for Petan. He'll have to clear waivers this year, so it's pressbox or waivers and gone to someone else this year, there's no room for him on a healthy Jets team with Maurice's bottom 6 PK strategy.

I seriously doubt the Oilers are interested in Petan with Aberg, Caggiula, Yammamoto.

If anything I'd look for a Pitlick/Sleppy replacement. We need a big fast physical smash and bang bottom-6er.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Jenner would be a good defensive centre addition considering he stays above water with negative zone starts.

He had a 2.9M cap hit last year, RFA, probably not getting a raise. Find a taker for Strome for a pick and go with Jenner? Wonder what the cost would be?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'll add Girgensons and Czarnik, who I've mentioned before. Czarnik is a player who can play C or W and will likely clear waivers like Rattie last season and lead Bakersfield's offense. Nick Paul is another who I'd give a shot to break in as a fourth line C. He's looking like he'll be hitting waivers in Ottawa next season. And as a pure AHL and forward depth move, I'd love to grab Michael Dal Colle from the Islanders. He took a big step back in Bridgeport last season and Lou may not have the time for him. But I think he has the instincts and shot to benefit from playing beside one of our centers and think he'd be a good buy-low reclamation project.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I remember when Girgensons was regarded as a premier prospect and the cost would be high to obtain him. A couple years changes a LOT of opinions and values sharply decline.

Buying low and selling high is a great strategy in theory... a lot harder in reality.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Seeing how cash strapped we are I'd be willing to give any of Joel Armia, Tobias Rieder, or Anthony Duclair a chance at earning a top 6 spot here.

I want Eric Fehr as a 13th/14th forward should be able to sign him for $700K versatile in that he can play wing or center, good on the draw, and an asset on the penalty kill. Not a flashy signing, but we could use some more veteran presence on occasions and at a point in his career where he likely won't raise a fuss about not dressing most nights.

I'd take a flyer on Oscar Lindberg one of the very few players who didn't have career or near career years in Vegas, got healthy scratched a fair amount, but he has some skill and had some decent success in NYR previously could probably be had for a late pick.

Austin Czarnik to me is someone who makes sense for us to sign, we are probably his best shot at NHL employment given our wing depth, he's not super coveted so likely can pass through waivers, he'll help the AHL team a lot and if someone drops the ball or injuries hit us he can get another shot at the NHL.

------------------------------------------------

I've liked Burakovsky in the past, but lately he hasn't been playing very well and despite not being a small man by any means, he seems to get pushed off the puck rather easily. I'd pass on him, I also feel like teams tend to pay a premium for any player off a cup winner, even when it really doesn't seem warranted.

I'm open to the idea of Petan, but I'd expect the cost to be real low, very good chance WPG waives him. I'd be patient here likely the cost comes down if they bring him into camp and he fails to make the team again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad