I'm wondering what people think of the upside of a few goalies:

Ryan Munce
Lukas Mensator
Tuomas Nissinen
Wade Dubielewicz
Tom Lawson
Joey MacDonald
Chris King

Aside from stats, I don't know a whole lot about these guys. I'm wondering what some opinions are of their future in the NHL.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Dubie was great at DU and from what I understand had been doing quite well in the AHL (one of the Isles faithful can give better insights on his AHL progress than I can). When I saw him at DU he was great. Model of consistency, follows/reads plays very well, good on his angles and controlling the rebounds. Didn't get rattled all that easily.

I saw Chris King several times this past season with Alaska-Anchorage. This past season was by far King's most impressive collegiate season. He led UAA to a WCHA Final Five bid after some serious WCHA Conference Playoff upsets over Wisconsin and Colorado College respectively. King is a small goaltender who has shown that he can really step it up when it's on the line. He faced alot of rubber last season and didn't wilt under the pressure. He plays very well down low, has a good glove, follows plays well. However, I'm not yet convinced that he's got what it takes to be an NHL-calibre goaltender. He's a tireless worker and Anaheim fans will love the all-out effort he gives night in and night out, but he's needs more improvement in his overall game if he is ever going to make it to the NHL. My guess is, unless he really makes great and continuing strides in the Minors that's where he'll spend his pro career. This is not to say that I think King is a horrible goaltender, just that when people start drawing comparisons (such as to other now-former NCAA goaltenders like Yann Danis and David LeNeveu), King is not yet at their level.

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Mensator is a reflex goalie. I like him very much. He is small, he have a good glove and he is most young goalie to reach the upper league in Czech. I think if he can have a better season next year (he was horrible last season), he can be a young Curtis Joseph or a Andy Moog in the futur if he can return his car on the way. But the fact is he is small.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Oilers Chick said:
Dubie was great at DU and from what I understand had been doing quite well in the AHL (one of the Isles faithful can give better insights on his AHL progress than I can). When I saw him at DU he was great. Model of consistency, follows/reads plays very well, good on his angles and controlling the rebounds. Didn't get rattled all that easily.

I agree with all of this, but with one exception. When I saw Dubie with DU, I thought he was a little too aggressive on his angles that left him vunerable to cross-ice passes and back-door plays. Otherwise, spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad