Potential Top 5 Picks Surprise Picks???

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Bryanbryoil, May 26, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Moderator

The consensus top 5 has been repeatedly stated to be Voracek, JVR, Kane, Turris, and Cherepanov in no particular order. The Oilers currently sit in the 6th spot, I'm hoping/wishing that we can land one of JVR or Turris at #6, but that would take at least 1 surprise top 5 entry. Who could you see as guys that could potentially displace someone on the top 5??? Gagne??? Alzner???

2. EagleBelfour

EagleBelfour Registered User

Home Page:
    You just named the two players that have the most change to releguated one of the top-5 outside it. Esposito has an outside change IMO.

3. Stupid Sexy Flanders

Stupid Sexy Flanders Registered User

IMO it wouldn't be surprising if Alzner went to LA at #4.

Also won't shock me if LA & EDM swap picks.

4. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    I wouldn't call Gagner or Alzner surprises. But I think in this draft more than most, there's definitely the potential for Wheeler-type picks. I believe it was American Dream, in his mock draft, who had Max Pacioretty at number 5. Something like that wouldn't shock me. And it's not even Pacioretty... it's so wide open, I think there's any number of players who could surprise.

5. Meichel Kane

Meichel Kane My Name Is

I wouldn't be surprised if someone took Backlund way early. Not top 5 early, but...early.

6. CertifiedPublicGuin

CertifiedPublicGuin Registered User

I agree, I'd been praying for so long that Backlund's stock would stay on the lower end so he would fall to the Pens; it seems more and more unlikely that that will be happening *sigh*. Although I guess we don't need another center, though IMO he'd be a rather easy transition. Anyway, I agree he could be snatched up pretty early.

7. Bam Beet*

Bam Beet* Guest

It wouldn't surprise me if Espo finds his way back in the top 5. Maybe the GM's aren't buying into all this hype about his bust potential and supposed attitude problems.

8. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alzner, Gagner, Esposito...in that order of likelihood.

Though even if one them went fourth or fifth, I still doubt that JVR or Turris is available at six. Cherepanov is the most likely to get passed over out of that top five group and fall to six, imo.

9. Ferjo

Ferjo Registered User

I think after the show David Perron put on in the memorial cup he could end up that high.

10. Freaky Habs Fan

Freaky Habs Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    No, he's still not close from them. His set of hands is incredible, but he's far from the total package, and even if he was playing in a small league a year ago, he's one year older than most first rounders...

For this year, I don't see any huge surprises in the top 5, as there's around 8 players who could go there...there's a small gap after those players, and another one after top 12th pick...

1-8
    8-12
    12-26
    26-58

That's the gaps I see...

11. mmbt

mmbt Cheeky Monkey

Wine
    Home Page:
    If I told ya, then it wouldn't be a surprise now would it?

12. Ferjo

Ferjo Registered User

It doesn't matter his age, picture him improving all-round (which almost all players do) and most scouts would probably agree he could be one of the 6 or 7 best players in the draft. He's clearly raw, but i think the package he currently brings to the table is impressive enough to take that high and the areas a of the game he was clearly behind in early in the season have improved enough it would show that he's working hard on becoming a more two-way player.

players with his hands and offensive smarts don't grow on trees. I'm not saying he will go that high, but if a team is willing to be patient it wouldn't surprise me at all.

13. PSUhockey34

PSUhockey34 Registered User

environmental chemist
    I'd like to see Gagner go 5th overall :crossfing

Ellerby maybe

14. RightKinger

RightKinger Registered User

What about Lars Eller? I think he will be selected in the top 10. Maybe not top 5 but you never know.

I have one prediction about the Kings pick. If the draft goes in this order -

1-Kane
    2-Van Riemsdyk
    3-Turris

Then I think the Kings will either trade down with Edmonton and select Alzner or they will just trade the pick. I wouldn't be surprised to them trade up to get Turris because they are really high on him.

15. Atlas

Atlas Registered User

It would not shock me if Mayorov is the first Russian taken this year. He's been creeping up the lists since Dec.-Jan.

Top 5? :yoda:

16. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    I think any number of players could slide into the top five (after Kane, vanRiemsdyk, Turris, and Voracek). If I'd go with a complete "shocker", maybe Bill Sweatt?

17. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    The Oilers will be taking Brandon Sutter at #6 anyways so it doesn't matter .. :)

18. Covenant

Covenant Registered User

Interesting a Habs fan rates second tier 8-12, when Habs have 12th pick and oh, coincidentally the Leafs pick 13th!

In my opinion there are 6-8 players that are close to certain to go in the top 10...then it's wide open.

19. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

Sweatt is a name that keeps popping up. Could be very high on some teams radars.

20. VOB

VOB Registered User

Home Page:
    Don't be surprised. Every time Peron was on the ice, the scouts were writing furiously....he had all their attention the whole time. This is not a strong draft that features high end talent, as a result a player like Peron could very well crack the top five.

21. kostitsyn1489

kostitsyn1489 Registered User

I think Ellerby has the upside to go as high as 3. He clearly has more upside then Alzner soit wouldnt surprise me if some team take a guess with him.

But a lot of player has great upside or size in the draft so it's completely wide open. Petricky, Ellerby, Sweatt, Esposito, Couture, Backlund and Pacioretty could be in the top 5 be beside the "clear" top 7.

22. Letang fan 58

Letang fan 58 No More Fleury

I think there is as good as a 50% chance that Esposito might go in the top 5......he has the best skill of any player in the draft with the possible exception of Kane.......and he has better size then Kane. I think some team is going to have him very near the top of his draft board and take a chance on him in the top 5. possibly LA.

23. Narnia

Narnia Registered User

Home Page:
    What makes you think that?

24. taunting canadian

taunting canadian Registered User

Interestingly, when the Oilers' brass have been discussing the draft with media etc., they seem to also ignore Cherepanov while talking up others, such as Gagner. It's possible that this is just some kind of smokescreen on the part of the Oilers, but it's also somewhat possible that Cherepanov could fall past #6.

25. Reaper45

Reaper45 Registered User

Not a chance L.A. takes Esposito.