Proposal: Potential Offer Sheets This Summer

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I like thinking outside the box but offer sheets don't really happen. It really changes negotiation with other teams. Though for the sake of answering your question I would do Montour in a heart beat. I have never been a fan of dumba and I think stone at the price, while reasonable, this team could not afford.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Outside teams could offer sheet Nurse imo

You think some team would be ready to give Nurse $6M+ on an other sheet? I don't think there is any chance the Oilers wouldn't match under that. It might screw us over cap wise, but teams and GMs have demonstrated an incredible lack of willingness to screw other teams over just for the sake of it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You think some team would be ready to give Nurse $6M+ on an other sheet? I don't think there is any chance the Oilers wouldn't match under that. It might screw us over cap wise, but teams and GMs have demonstrated an incredible lack of willingness to screw other teams over just for the sake of it.

No. Nobody is offering Nurse $6M per annum. Not happening.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I like thinking outside the box but offer sheets don't really happen. It really changes negotiation with other teams. Though for the sake of answering your question I would do Montour in a heart beat. I have never been a fan of dumba and I think stone at the price, while reasonable, this team could not afford.

Offer sheets are coming. Not enough good players are hitting unrestricted free agency. Maybe not this year but within a decade it won’t be such an anomaly.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Offer sheets are coming. Not enough good players are hitting unrestricted free agency. Maybe not this year but within a decade it won’t be such an anomaly.

No they aren't. GM's will always have a mutual respect for each other. Talent is only getting better also.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No they aren't. GM's will always have a mutual respect for each other. Talent is only getting better also.

Mutual respect has nothing to do with it. Talent is getting better but it’s not hitting UFA like it used to. Tavares is the odd exception and I bet he signs before the deadline or shortly afterwords with the NYI regardless. Otherwise stars sign with their teams that drafted or traded for them. Mutual respect has nothing to do with a team who wants to win. It’s in the rules. There’s nothing wrong with it. With parity and the cap here to stay you can bet RFA offer sheets are coming.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Mutual respect has nothing to do with it. Talent is getting better but it’s not hitting UFA like it used to. Tavares is the odd exception and I bet he signs before the deadline or shortly afterwords with the NYI regardless. Otherwise stars sign with their teams that drafted or traded for them. Mutual respect has nothing to do with a team who wants to win. It’s in the rules. There’s nothing wrong with it. With parity and the cap here to stay you can bet RFA offer sheets are coming.

People have been saying more offer sheets are coming for years. Not the case. GM's have an open line of communication that trumps that. Infact, several GM's talk about a a secret line of communication they have

Respectable rumors, for instance, say Bos traded Hamiltion before Chia offder sheeted him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
People have been saying more offer sheets are coming for years. Not the case. GM's have an open line of communication that trumps that. Infact, several GM's talk about a a secret line of communication they have

Respectable rumors, for instance, say Bos traded Hamiltion before Chia offder sheeted him.

I get that but I think there’s a change coming with new GMs and new owners along with the unprecedented parity we see today.

Friedman has reported several times he thinks its coming as well.

Take a Tom Dundon or Bill Foley. They won’t give a rats ass what the GMs OBC thinks of an RFA offer sheet if they can pull the player in. Methinks there’s a sea change coming with RFA’s, sooner or later.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I get that but I think there’s a change coming with new GMs and new owners along with the unprecedented parity we see today.

Take a Tom Dundon or Bill Foley. They won’t give a rats ass what the GMs OBC thinks of an RFA offer sheet if they can pull the player in. Methinks there’s a sea change coming with RFA’s, sooner or later.

Last year Drai and Eichel escaped without offer sheets. Trouba, Eckblad, Barkov. Scheiffle. Ya, offersheets are very uncommon.

Freidman is nothing but a click bait hack now.

Young guys like Dundon aren't gonna piss all over reps. That's made up bs. Has Chayka?

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

There won't be offer sheets because teams don't want their own guys offersheeted. If you go after someone elses guys they will come for yours.

GMs don't do what they need to to win, they do what they need to to keep their job and get another.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Last year Drai and Eichel escaped without offer sheets. Trouba, Eckblad, Barkov. Scheiffle. Ya, offersheets are very uncommon.

Freidman is nothing but a click bait hack now.

Young guys like Dundon aren't gonna piss all over reps. That's made up bs. Has Chayka?

I’m talking about the future, not last year. As fewer top players reach UFA status and as the league trends younger teams with cap issues are going to get RFA offer sheets come in.

Tom Dundon is the owner of the Hurricanes and he has already demonstrated it’s not business as usual. Bill Foley has demonstrated its not business as usual. GMs will do what the owners expect.

As for GMs protecting each other’s reputations, the NHLPA sees it as collusion and it’s been discussed as a talking point in the next round of CBA talks, (no RFA offer sheets).

So IMO offer sheets are coming.

As for Friedman we will have to agree to disagree on his reputation. He’s one of the few industry respected insiders along with McKenzie. Just my opinion.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
No body has the cap space anymore to make big offersheets.
Teams that do have cap space right now (NYI, COL) will need all of it after a year or 2 to sign their own players.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There won't be offer sheets because teams don't want their own guys offersheeted. If you go after someone elses guys they will come for yours.

GMs don't do what they need to to win, they do what they need to to keep their job and get another.

That was business in the past and perhaps today but I believe it will change. The NHLPA sees the total lack of offer sheets as collusion. They may have a point.

GMs don’t play to win? First time I’ve ever read that.

You do realize GMs have a boss and that boss is usually an A type personality very very very wealthy owner. I am pretty sure GMs take marching orders from said A type wealthy owners. If that means sticking to a budget they stick to a budget. If that means win at all costs they will win at all costs.

Owners set the stage for the GMs in terms of expectations. Teams who have excellent cap management and draft and develop well can easily protect themselves from RFA poaching and also poach other players from teams who do not draft and develop well and/or manage the cap poorly.

What is the norm today does not mean it is the norm tomorrow.

And as I said it’s becoming a huge issue for the agents. Baseball lost a similar challenge from players many years ago on said collusion. Hockey is exposed in a similar fashion now.

Who runs the players union? Donald Fehr, the same guy who challenged MLB.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No body has the cap space anymore to make big offersheets.
Teams that do have cap space right now (NYI, COL) will need all of it after a year or 2 to sign their own players.

Lesser players can be offer sheeted. Doesn’t need to be big name players. Teams seeing Vegas success might try poach players who are playing down a lineup that they see as able to play higher up.

Reactions: bone

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lesser players can be offer sheeted. Doesn’t need to be big name players. Teams seeing Vegas success might try poach players who are playing down a lineup that they see as able to play higher up.
Those offers would still have to be big overpayments for a team to not match. You will have to offer close to 4M per for players like Duclair, Lowry, Athanasiou, T.Wilson.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Those offers would still have to be big overpayments for a team to not match. You will have to offer close to 4M per for players like Duclair, Lowry, Athanasiou, T.Wilson.

Depends if a team has cap to match. Some teams will have zero cap space opening up other players as well. More than one way to skin a cat.

If everyone thinks the GMs are a country club of buddies I encourage you to see how ruthless McPhee was during the expansion draft talks. He had his marching orders from ownership. He played hardball. He didn’t care who he pissed off and he pissed a lot of GMs off.

I’m not saying RFA offer sheets will be commonplace. I’m saying we will start to see them in the future. Maybe not this year maybe not next but they are coming I believe.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think it still just comes down to economics. Reality is that the only way a team doesn't match is by overpaying ridiculously. Then on top on that you are surrendering the required draft assets that are necessary to absorb the costs of overpaying that free agent.

Basically the only way to win on an offer sheet is over paying someone who's ceiling is questionable or that the current team undervalues and then they end up outperforming expectations by a large amount.

Reactions: Night Witch

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Agree this is the only spot I think we'll see them. If a team undervalues a player significantly, you might be able to pick someone up on a gamble by overpaying a bit on a smaller contract. Then the draft picks surrendered assets aren't as restrictive.

But I doubt we're going to see teams really trying to poach players that people expect to be first liners. The economics of it are too tough to justify.

Reactions: Night Witch

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think it still just comes down to economics. Reality is that the only way a team doesn't match is by overpaying ridiculously. Then on top on that you are surrendering the required draft assets that are necessary to absorb the costs of overpaying that free agent.

Basically the only way to win on an offer sheet is over paying someone who's ceiling is questionable or that the current team undervalues and then they end up outperforming expectations by a large amount.

I agree with this, people make it out to be something not done to not piss some one off. But it really has nothing to do with that. GM's would do it in a heartbeat if it ever made sense. It really doesn't, You basically play the UFA market (which is almost always a big over pay) and you also give up assets. No thanks.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
What's Nurse worth, I know they qualified him but if a Team offered 6yrs x 4 mill (2nd round draft pick compensation) would Oilers match?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad