Potential of Spezza vs. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

E&M

Nov 18, 2004
Vancouver
pjbth said:
Yeah look at all those slick first rounder russians this season!!!......Oh wait there weren't any

Don't forget about the slick second rounder russians this year too!!! :sarcasm:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think that offensively, Malkin and Spezza have similar potential. Both are EXTRAORDINARY playmakers, etc......

But the reason why I think Malkin will be the better player is because he has the ability to dominate games physically that Spezza cannot match. Spezza can beat defenders by going around them with all sorts of crazy moves and is a strong hockey player. But Malkin can go right through defenders and knock them on their ***. Malkin should be able to dominate the game physically like Thornton, Sundin, Allison (before injury), but will have playmaking ability that exceeds them all. It's for this reason that I believe Malkin will be the more dominant player offensively.

Malkin, Spezza and Crosby should be the top 3 playmakers in the NHL in the years to come. What will be interesting is to see the goal production of these 3 players. Malkin and Spezza are both pass-first kind of guys, and with their playmaking ability, rightfully so. But I think Malkin might also have higher-goal scoring upside than Spezza for the reason I mentioned above, as well as his superior skating ability. I have no idea what kind of goal vs. assist totals Crosby will put up.

Malkin does have the potential, maybe, to be as good as or better than Crosby, but Spezza clearly does not, IMO, and that is no slight to him. So all this in mind, I have to think Malkin is clearly a step-up on Spezza, not just offensively, but all around.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The point I was TRYING to make is that we still have not seen the best Hockey in their careers yet. Today, Kovolchuk is better. In 5 years? Kovolchuk will PROBABLY be better, but, even without injuries, that is not guaranteed.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Egil said:
The point I was TRYING to make is that we still have not seen the best Hockey in their careers yet. Today, Kovolchuk is better. In 5 years? Kovolchuk will PROBABLY be better, but, even without injuries, that is not guaranteed.

One could make the same claim about any two young players though, so it's sort of a meaningless point. Just like saying "in 5 years Sidney Crosby will probably be better than Benoit Pouliot, but that's not guaranteed." At this point, Kovalchuk has shown more both in terms of potential and production.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
lol jesus, I never thought the thread would get this rediculous. Spezza is more than likely going to be a much better player than Malkin. It's just the way it is...his vision (and shot) are incredible. He's a really fast skater now, and his game has improved. After this year is over you might start seeing Kovalchuk and Spezza comparisons, I guarantee it :P

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
SubNova said:
I think I know what this is all about; it’s like those guys that buy big trucks to offset their lack of size in other places. Canadians are pissed off that they don’t have good prospects while there are a number of European prospects especially Russian prospects. If you take out a guy like Heatley because he wasn’t borne in Canada you are left with Crosby and a few goalies. After this year you will have only goalies to hype up.

The US produces better NFL players than Canada and Russia...

RazorRamon12

Jul 8, 2004
jmelm said:
I think that offensively, Malkin and Spezza have similar potential. Both are EXTRAORDINARY playmakers, etc......

But the reason why I think Malkin will be the better player is because he has the ability to dominate games physically that Spezza cannot match. Spezza can beat defenders by going around them with all sorts of crazy moves and is a strong hockey player. But Malkin can go right through defenders and knock them on their ***. Malkin should be able to dominate the game physically like Thornton, Sundin, Allison (before injury), but will have playmaking ability that exceeds them all. It's for this reason that I believe Malkin will be the more dominant player offensively.

Malkin, Spezza and Crosby should be the top 3 playmakers in the NHL in the years to come. What will be interesting is to see the goal production of these 3 players. Malkin and Spezza are both pass-first kind of guys, and with their playmaking ability, rightfully so. But I think Malkin might also have higher-goal scoring upside than Spezza for the reason I mentioned above, as well as his superior skating ability. I have no idea what kind of goal vs. assist totals Crosby will put up.

Malkin does have the potential, maybe, to be as good as or better than Crosby, but Spezza clearly does not, IMO, and that is no slight to him. So all this in mind, I have to think Malkin is clearly a step-up on Spezza, not just offensively, but all around.

that is a nice analysis. except you conveniently failed to mention that you have hardly ever seen malkin play, except for the WJCs and a few clips here and there.

so considering that fact, and that u are a pens fan. I now have no reason to think that ur post was anything other than the homer in u coming out.

next time, dont try to hide the fact u havent seen malkin play very much

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
RazorRamon12 said:
that is a nice analysis. except you conveniently failed to mention that you have hardly ever seen malkin play, except for the WJCs and a few clips here and there.

so considering that fact, and that u are a pens fan. I now have no reason to think that ur post was anything other than the homer in u coming out.

next time, dont try to hide the fact u havent seen malkin play very much

That's pretty much bang on in my opinion. Malkin will always be behind Crosby on the Penguins, so he may not develop like some may think.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Sting004 said:
That's pretty much bang on in my opinion.
Coming from the homer who said:

Sting004 said:
Spezza is more than likely going to be a much better player than Malkin. It's just the way it is...

espo*

SubNova said:
I think I know what this is all about; it’s like those guys that buy big trucks to offset their lack of size in other places. Canadians are pissed off that they don’t have good prospects while there are a number of European prospects especially Russian prospects. If you take out a guy like Heatley because he wasn’t borne in Canada you are left with Crosby and a few goalies. After this year you will have only goalies to hype up.
LOL,holy ****!!

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
SubNova said:
Man, you're so smart. You just convinced me that Europeans are gods. I salute your higness.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
SubNova said:
Canadian hockey needs to stop projecting its self on the NHL, if you don’t like action and scoring then watch your own league. I don’t want NHL to end up being all about getting a player hurt via fights or cheap hits. This is skilled sport I don’t see how teams have two goons in each lineup just to fight. Our why a top end player needs a goon on his line just incase.
For once, I agree with you about goons. We shouldn't need any. No team should rely on goonery on any occasion. That mentality is Pejorative Slured. Despite that aspect, I still find the NHL more entertaining than any other league in the world. Euros can't fool us about their leagues anymore. Due to the lockout, we've all seen games from various European leagues (except the RSL) and frankly, they are BORING. Players who have played in Europe all come back saying that they won't complain about the clutching and grabbing in the NHL anymore because it's so much worse over there. No more telling us how Europe is so much faster and lies like that. It's just not true.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Ismellofhockey said:
For some reason a lot of Russians on this site (or maybe always the same, but they're loud like there's a lot of them) speculate wildly about the worth of Russian players, about how much Frolov is God, Kovalev was better than Mario, and now "Russian player is God II: the Malkin" is coming to threads near you.

Well, a lot of Canadian fans speculate Crosby is better than God and Lemieux combined, so I guess that evens things out.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If we can get back to the Malkin/Spezza comparison. :help:

Very similar players, each with comparable vision and reach. However, I think Malkin's skating ability will set him apart from Spezza. Granted, even though Spezza's skating has improved by leaps and bounds, its nowhere near Malkins. In Malkin you have a 6-4 playmaking center that can fly. The new wide open game will be better suited for Malkin's style too.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Most Russians have come over and either played hard until the big contract was offered and then performance dropped (Funny how the Bure's and Kovalev's always put up career years in the final year of their contract.) Or they came over and gave a half-assed effort because they already had more money than they ever imagined (Makarov and Krutov). I was in Calgary when Makarov was there and he would come out and play one of the best shifts you ever saw and leave you in awe. The next shift he was completely useless piece of crap and looking like a 16 year old WHL rookie being thrown into a shift in the NHL.

So until Malkin proves he can do it year in year out in the NHL and not just during the last year of his rookie contract there should be no debate. Spezza has shown he can play in the NHL. Malkin hasn't. It's that simple.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I guess the influx of european players in our junior leagues has really diluted the talent pool. By diluted, I mean it's harder to rise above the norm and be truly dominant.

Mat

Malkin > Spezza

but how can some people state that malkin will be better than crosby? now im not saying he wont, but if he was the next phenom, wouldnt he be dominating the RSL right now?
just a question. i'm one of the bigger malkin fans here so dont take that as ragging on him.

espo*

NyQuil said:
I've watched Spezza quite closely since being introduced to the NHL, and I can already safely say that there has been no better playmaker on the Senators in franchise history than this guy.

He has vision and a deft passing touch that is unequalled by anyone who has ever played on the team, and he's only put in 1 1/2 seasons.

While he can roof it with the best of them, and has a pretty wicked snap shot, Spezza's strengths are his playmaking abilities and I expect it'll be the assist column that sees his greatest contribution to the league.
I agree,Spezza has a dandy shot and i think he should/will develop into a more potent goal scorer when he adds some confidence.He needs to start becoming more agressive in his play from the blueline in(everywhere really) and then he'll take off.He's going to be given every opportuinity to suceed this year so we should get a good read this season in terms of his future all around offensive abilities.But like you said,he'll most likely always be a better play-maker then goal scorer.He has wonderful ice vision and i think he just fancies himself more of a playmaker then goal scorer by definition.

His progress and play will be one of the more interesting things for me to track and watch this year.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
This is bull

Malkin is equal to what Spezza was at that age but right now Spezza is definately the better player.

Playing limited time with the sens he put up 55 pts .. This season with 1st line duties he's probably going to get 80-90 pts I would like to see Malkin do that this year. So right now Spezza... in the future ... who knows ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->