Potential of Evgeni Malkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I think that Malkin is somewhat a cross between Joe Thornton and Jaromir Jagr....it is funny that I havent yet seen comparisons to Jagr on these boards....at least in skill wise....he shows more grit and heart then Jagr already.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I think I'm going to wait until he's played a year or so of NHL hockey before anointing him *anything*.
Thats fair. As much as I like Malkin, I do think that there will be a period of adjustment for him. He's not as active as an AO or Crosby. He plays more of a thinking game and is always in position. IMO a player of that ilk will need time to get used to rink sizes and the NHL style of play. Thats not to say that he can't play in the NHL next year and play well but the rookie class of this year has just been unreal. To expect every big name rookie to be an instant star wouldn't be fair.

Its great to see that Malkin has added some strength and worked on his skating but I still think that he's not even close to being a finished player. Thats pretty scary when you think about it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
Thats fair. As much as I like Malkin, I do think that there will be a period of adjustment for him. He's not as active as an AO or Crosby. He plays more of a thinking game and is always in position. IMO a player of that ilk will need time to get used to rink sizes and the NHL style of play. Thats not to say that he can't play in the NHL next year and play well but the rookie class of this year has just been unreal. To expect every big name rookie to be an instant star wouldn't be fair.

Its great to see that Malkin has added some strength and worked on his skating but I still think that he's not even close to being a finished player. Thats pretty scary when you think about it.

Don't get me wrong, I think he looks tremendous, but I'd still like to wait a bit before making any lofty predictions about his future.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
mattihp said:
I´d say quicker, faster Keith Primeau in his prime with not quite the heavy hits, but still rather physical.
i don't see the primeau comparison at all. malkin is ten times more talented. imo malkin will be similar to fedorov but more physically aggressive.

Viking Penguin*

Malkin = Kharlamov (Summit Series)

or

Jagr/Spezza/Thornton type talent

Malkin can skate like no other, effortless, in 3 or 4 big strides in can go end to end and do everything at full speed. Has excellent vision. Many times this year, current Penguin players have missed a wide open net because Crosby put the puck on their stick so quickly. Malkin will put those in the back of the net all the time.

2006-2007 Crosby 70 goal 105 assists
Malkin 30-40 goals 40-50 assists

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Viking Penguin said:

or

Malkin can skate like no other, effortless, in 3 or 4 big strides in can go end to end and do everything at full speed. Has excellent vision. Many times this year, current Penguin players have missed a wide open net because Crosby put the puck on their stick so quickly. Malkin will put those in the back of the net all the time.

175 pts for crosby next year? i think you've lost it.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Rabid Ranger said:
I think I'm going to wait until he's played a year or so of NHL hockey before anointing him *anything*.

maybe you'd feel more comfortable at www.hockeyspresent.com ;)

That's my biggest pieve though. That we're not allowed to predict how good a guy will be because he hasn't played in the NHL yet. That was actually the entire reason this website was created, wasn't it?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Viking Penguin said:

Not even close or similar players. Frankly, and Im sorry, that is the singlemost worst Malkin comparrison I have ever heard off.

Kharlamov = Pavel Bure's speed and scoring ability, together with the deking abilities and creativity of Datsyuk + Kovalev combined.

Malkin is WAY bigger than Kharlamov and silky smooth in his own right, but not even close in terms of skill, speed, and flash.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
JoeLH said:
Both, Ovechkin and Malkin, played for Russia during the WC in Austria in spring 2005. And Malkin wasn't far away from AO - in contrast, both seemed to have quite the same capabilites. Perhaps Ovechkin is a better goal scorer and Malkin a better playmaker, but really, Pittsburgh can be very, very happy, if Evgeny starts his career in Steel City in October ...

Ovechkin had 5G, 3A and Malkin had 4A during that tourney.

I prefer Malkin to Crosby for his two way game.

EM will be his own thing- Mats Sundin w/more upside IMO.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Viking Penguin said:

or

I think you have lost your mind...175 pts in his 2nd year? Unless the Penguins greatly improve I don't see him getting near 175. 120 would be my lofty expectations for him. Not that I wouldn't like to see production like that out of anyone, I just don't see that happening or even getting anywhere near that.

tommy5

Jan 14, 2006
Liberec, Czech
Malkin is now the biggest russian talent. He is very strong, good technique, very fast, able to score and pass very well. It´ś a mix of Ovechkin, Crosby, Lemieux and Jagr.

I saw him in about four games, he scored I think 6 times and was best russian player in the tournament I´ve seen

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
Malkin just got 6 points (3+3) in a 9-2 win to take back the league lead in points. The kids going to be something special.

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal
Does anyone have any video highlights of Malkin to post? I didn't get to catch the World Juniors and really I'm pretty unfarmiliar with the guy. Can somebody help me out?

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
shawn_kemp said:
holy mother of god! 6 points! :eek:
In an eight second span, don't forget.
Malkin also took down half of the Russian mafia in one afternoon using only a tube of toothpaste and a bottle opener. He also owns his own island where he spends his time off curing cancer along side Elvis, 2pac and Andy Kaufman.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Don'tcryforme said:
In an eight second span, don't forget.
Malkin also took down half of the Russian mafia in one afternoon using only a tube of toothpaste and a bottle opener. He also owns his own island where he spends his time off curing cancer along side Elvis, 2pac and Andy Kaufman.

Only one answer for that: www.chucknorrisfacts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->