Potential New Revenue Stream - Advertising on Jerseys

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I have said before and I will say again that they day that this happens is the day I stop watching the NHL. Its unprofessional, tacky and ugly

Question then; and I mean this with all due respect, how did ya'll get your heads around the moniker "Mighty Ducks" (and now just Ducks; what the hecks fearsome about a Duck?) when after all, it was nothing short of Disney's marketing philosophy & machine?. Its' too bad "Anahein Arsenal" is taken as Id be wanting to change that one up (along with Calgary for that matter) & go with something a lot less commercial; Orange County Cougars?. And no, not the other kind, of which they are aplenty..... :laugh:

Skarjak

Sep 8, 2010
Toronto
I'm surprised no one has suggested the reason the crowds have dwindled in Phoenix isn't the ownership or the lack of fans but all the ads on the boards and ice and on the seats in the front rows? :sarcasm:

I watch my team, and I liked their Kachina-look jerseys better than the new ones, but I still watch them and go to their games and they could wear unis that look like Kevin Harvick's or Denny Hamlin's for all I care I'm still going to watch them, and if anyone seriously is going to become less of an NHL hockey fan if the jerseys become plastered with ads... that seems pretty fickle. Way more fickle than the people from Mesa who whine that 'the drive to Glendale is too far to go on weeknights'.

I guess I'm skeptical that a real hockey fan would give up the sport over advertising.

Complain, sure, voice a desire to see no proliferation of ads on the unis, fine; but 'oh, if they put ads on the unis, that's it I'm done' sounds pretty flighty and not anything like someone who's a real fan, sounds more like a precious teenage girl who'd drop a singer as her absolute favorite singer because he sprouted a soul patch.

"Like, ok, be that way, whatevah..."

I can guarantee that there would be riots in Québec if the league forced us to put an ad on our jersey. I'm not even exaggerating.

I think you underestimate the opposition people would have to this.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I can guarantee that there would be riots in Québec if the league forced us to put an ad on our jersey. I'm not even exaggerating.

Some people in this thread (who will remain nameless) believe that, simply because people in other countries have rolled over and taken this kind of thing, that North American fans would simply take it and "get over it" as well.

I think they have another thing coming. Merchandise sales are a very important source of revenue for the NHL. If they start putting corporate ads on jerseys and such, I think fans will revolt, rather than shell out $250+ to turn themselves into a walking billboard for some bank or telecom.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Some people in this thread (who will remain nameless) believe that, simply because people in other countries have rolled over and taken this kind of thing, that North American fans would simply take it and "get over it" as well.

I think they have another thing coming. Merchandise sales are a very important source of revenue for the NHL. If they start putting corporate ads on jerseys and such, I think fans will revolt, rather than shell out $250+ to turn themselves into a walking billboard for some bank or telecom.

Keep in mind that I have no particular bone in this fight. I'm fine with a few (1-2) small ads a'la the AHL and ECHL route and I'm fine with no ads a'la the NHL route. I do dislike the "skating billboard" look of the Euro leagues.

You have to agree, though, that there's a middle ground between "no ads" and "walking billboard." The pics that other posters, myself included, have put up of ECHL and AHL jerseys with sponsor patches are hardly something that I think fans would "revolt" over and again, they wouldn't be "shell[ing] out $250+ to turn themselves into a walking billboard." I'd be interested to know how much a sponsor patch brings in to a team's revenue stream, though.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd

I probably do (underestimate the opposition to it). I know when I watch old NHL videos the difference is real noticeable - no ads, no visors, no helmets, even some of the real old ones the goalies don't even have helmets lol.

Things change.

I'm not saying I'd prefer ads but if the NHL put them on jerseys, I don't think I'd march in a street or riot like they did in Cairo or quit watching hockey and say "Curling is now my #1 spectator sport, I've quit hockey".

I would hope though if they did riot in Quebec over ads that CNN would show it on the Wolf Blitzer show.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I can see why soccer teams have the adds... they dont have TV timeouts.

I would be all for the NHL putting adds on jerseys if they got rid of the flow ruining timeouts.

That being said, if there was a NA league to do it, it would totaly be the self loathing NHL. And everyone will make fun of them, because thats what the NHL does.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!

Then let me pose this question... Would you buy the Sabres Jersey with a few ads on it if you could now buy that Jersey for $49 instead of $250? I refuse to shell out the bucks for Jersey, but have a $4.99 Bruins coffee mug that I drink from at work.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Then let me pose this question... Would you buy the Sabres Jersey with a few ads on it if you could now buy that Jersey for $49 instead of $250? I refuse to shell out the bucks for Jersey, but have a $4.99 Bruins coffee mug that I drink from at work.

Like it would go to 49 dollars. Maybe save 49 dollars on the jersey.

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually

They'll either end up charging more for the Jerseys or they'll charge the same. They would never drop the prices.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Like it would go to 49 dollars. Maybe save 49 dollars on the jersey.

I agree the hypothetical question would have no basis in reality, but it was to make a point. The OP stated "No one" would buy these supposed ad riddled Jersey's. I don't give creedence to absolutes and am just throwing the hypothetical "out there" as a litmus test for the idea.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009

Exactly this, i know if a scotia bank logo was beside my oilers crest my 250 would be safe in my account

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Just as a side note... the Manitoba Moose have advertising on the front of their Jersey, but that ad does not translate to the Jersey you can purchase, game-worm purchases notwithstanding....

2397199107_0db5320799_z.jpg

nov2607_moran01_b.jpg

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
the NHL has an ethical obligation to the NHLPA to put advertising on jerseys.

there is zero debate about that, the NHL shut down the league in order to tie revenues to player costs, now its up to the NHL to extract maximum revenue from each and every source possible. this not only ethical, but moral as well.

if the NHL could generate revenue by charging a $5.00 step access fee (to get to your seat), they have a MORAL obligation to do so.

if the NHL could generate revenue by charging a $15.00 oxygen access fee (so you can breathe at a game), they have a MORAL obligation to do so.

they MUST extract revenue from each and every channel, they are contrctually obligated to do so and morally since they insisted on tieing player compensation to revenues.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
the NHL has an ethical obligation to the NHLPA to put advertising on jerseys.

there is zero debate about that, the NHL shut down the league in order to tie revenues to player costs, now its up to the NHL to extract maximum revenue from each and every source possible. this not only ethical, but moral as well.

if the NHL could generate revenue by charging a $5.00 step access fee (to get to your seat), they have a MORAL obligation to do so.

if the NHL could generate revenue by charging a $15.00 oxygen access fee (so you can breathe at a game), they have a MORAL obligation to do so.

they MUST extract revenue from each and every channel, they are contrctually obligated to do so and morally since they insisted on tieing player compensation to revenues.

Um, no.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I honestly can't believe there are people who pay $250 for a jersey anyway. The last Wings jersey I bought was $50 and I bought it a decade ago... will never buy another one for more than $75

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Well thought out reply!

Um, yes!

Well, the original message was so poorly thought out, I felt it didn't deserve much thought in reply.

How on earth is this a MORAL issue? We're not talking about employees that are being taken advantage of in any way. Where is the MORAL in ever increasing ticket prices to subsidize millionaire player AND owner salaries?

At best, you could say the NHL has a duty to expend REASONABLE EFFORT to grow revenues, but I could say the same thing about keeping fan costs in line. In fact, fan costs are already over the line, in my opinion.

The fans are an essential piece to the puzzle, yet they are relatively powerless in the whole scheme of things.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Anyway, I think it is pretty safe to say that the NHL is not going to go be the ones taking the bulk of the controversy by being the ground-breaker in bringing jersey advertisements to North American sports, especially not for as little as $8M.

If and when it happens, it will be after the NFL, NBA or MLB have done it first.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

I think you are overestimating the opposition. Were their riots in the streets when the NHL allowed advertising on the boards and the ice, which are much more hideous than what people are showing for the sponsor patch on the jerseys. The jerseys, IMO, already have a sponsor patch - Reebok. It is almost the same size as the ones on the AHL jerseys and it is in the most hideous place ruining the colors of the nameplate, etc. in order to make it standout more.

I probably do (underestimate the opposition to it). I know when I watch old NHL videos the difference is real noticeable - no ads, no visors, no helmets, even some of the real old ones the goalies don't even have helmets lol.

Things change.

I'm not saying I'd prefer ads but if the NHL put them on jerseys, I don't think I'd march in a street or riot like they did in Cairo or quit watching hockey and say "Curling is now my #1 spectator sport, I've quit hockey".

I would hope though if they did riot in Quebec over ads that CNN would show it on the Wolf Blitzer show.

Ahhhhh, Wolf.

They'll either end up charging more for the Jerseys or they'll charge the same. They would never drop the prices.

They would not sell the jerseys with the patches on them, as others have indicated. But it is your right to buy or not to buy, as it is now.

Anyway, I think it is pretty safe to say that the NHL is not going to go be the ones taking the bulk of the controversy by being the ground-breaker in bringing jersey advertisements to North American sports, especially not for as little as $8M.

If and when it happens, it will be after the NFL, NBA or MLB have done it first.

I would not bet on one of the others to do it first, I would bet the NHL is going to do it first, after all, all their minor leagues have them.

Lastly, no one is saying that the team would be required to have one but it should be their option as it is in the AHL.

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
to the people saying the NHL will be the first league in NA to allow ads on jerseys, please direct your attention to MLS.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
MLS wasn't the first, either.

And the NBA is much more forward thinking than the NHL

Last edited:

Skarjak

Sep 8, 2010
Toronto
I think you are overestimating the opposition. Were their riots in the streets when the NHL allowed advertising on the boards and the ice, which are much more hideous than what people are showing for the sponsor patch on the jerseys. The jerseys, IMO, already have a sponsor patch - Reebok. It is almost the same size as the ones on the AHL jerseys and it is in the most hideous place ruining the colors of the nameplate, etc. in order to make it standout more.

Ahhhhh, Wolf.

They would not sell the jerseys with the patches on them, as others have indicated. But it is your right to buy or not to buy, as it is now.

I would not bet on one of the others to do it first, I would bet the NHL is going to do it first, after all, all their minor leagues have them.

Lastly, no one is saying that the team would be required to have one but it should be their option as it is in the AHL.

Seriously, our jersey is literally sacred. Just to give you an idea, there were actually some people that were pissed off when PK Subban put on Jeff Skinner's jersey at the all star games. They felt it was a disrespect to the Habs jersey. There was an incident not long ago that got reported about how Subban had actually left his jersey on the ground after a practice and it turned into the biggest news story of the night in Québec

The building is just a building. The jersey is sacred. There is a fundamental difference between putting ads on the board and putting one on the jersey.

Bear in mind that Maurice Richard's suspension was the cause of riots and actually ended up being one of the things that sparked a social revolution in Québec.

Not every market may be as fanatical when it comes to issues like this, but you seriously can't deny that Habs fans would protest something like this. I'm pretty sure that the other big, traditional markets would take offense at this as well.

Brent Burns Beard