Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I still don't see a problem with this

large_downey30.jpg

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I agree it looks tacky.

Funny how America's reputation is greed and capitalism, yet they have jersey sponsorship in European leagues but none in the highest level of the four major sports.

In baseball, the Mets actually had to re-design their inaugural season patch for Citi Field because MLB wouldn't approve the first design, as it was too much like a Citi Bank ad.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Numerous NHL teams already do this with their practice jerseys.

Many AHL, ECHL and junior clubs have done this for years.
If it is not overwhelming go for it. Works well in the AHL, CFL etc.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I still don't see a problem with this

large_downey30.jpg

It may seem innocent, but hopefully they can draw the line somewhere.

I find it ridiculous how everything possible is sponsored by this or that company or business. Power plays and penalty kills now have sponsors even for minor league teams. The three stars are sponsored. The intermissions are sponsored. The arena is named after a corporation. Even sections of the arena are sponsored. They place adds on the glass for TV viewers. Etc., etc. I understand the business case for it, but find the extent of it distasteful and distracting.

GHOST

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
It may seem innocent, but hopefully they can draw the line somewhere.

I find it ridiculous how everything possible is sponsored by this or that company or business. Power plays and penalty kills now have sponsors even for minor league teams. The three stars are sponsored. The intermissions are sponsored. The arena is named after a corporation. Even sections of the arena are sponsored. They place adds on the glass for TV viewers. Etc., etc. I understand the business case for it, but find the extent of it distasteful and distracting.

GHOST

I agree with not having ADS on the jersey. The only reason there are the 3 stars of the game in the first place is because of an ad. Esso was promoting their 3 star gasoline and that's why Hockey Night in Canada had the Esso 3 stars of the game.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It's a thought I'd be willing to entertain if the ads were limited to businesses that had local ties to the team whose jerseys they put their name on (nothing national or ubiquitous). One of the things that I liked about when Ottawa's arena was named Corel Centre was that Corel was a locally-based company - though one could argue it had an international reach.

Of course the flaw with this idea is the paradox that the locally-based business is less likely to afford ad space on a jersey than a mulinational conglomerate.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

this.

Advertising on Jerseys is a Euro thing. In North America it would cheapen the leagues perception and possibly drag it down to MLS level.

Any revenue gained would go mostly to big market teams and increase the monetary gaps between big and small market teams. Also, the revenue created would also raise salary caps on small market teams, who would not benefit that much from jersey advertising, and make it even harder for them to break even.

If you haven't noticed euro soccer leagues are dominated by a few teams who get ridiculous advertising revenue. It leads to lopsided leagues where only a select chosen few compete for titles year after year after year.

I'd prefer a league wide revenue stream where all the teams benefit equally. like the NFL TV contracts.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
It's not so bad... They do it in the AHL and CFL and it doesn't really take away from anything. I would prefer this over those ads some networks chose to impose on the end glass... Those are much more intrusive.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

X's 10 =

A) Remove the players names from the sweaters
B) Remove all in-stadia advertising
C) Remove all rink board advertising
D) Remove all on-ice advertising
E) Delete "Game Presentations" & Sponsorships
F) Delete Programmed Music & Advertisements
G) Remove the Trapezoid Crease
H) Get rid of OT & Shoot-outs
I) Move the Islanders & Panthers

but instead, we'll likely see "Ad Patches" on the upper right chest panel & on pants; the face-off circles below the blue lines, & the creases' decorated with corporate I.D., entire sections of seats re-upholstered with "Toyota" or "BudLight", parking lots & spots in and around the arena...... and on & on & on. Prostitution isnt' terribly fulfilling for the customer no?. How to mess up the art of hockey & the experience of going to or watching a game. :cry:

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Hockey would be ruined if teams wore tiny patches that said "Pepsi" on them on their jerseys. The sport would suddenly become irrelevant en masse.

This is the future, but I don't think the NHL will be the first foot in the pool on it. The NBA will do it first and all the other dominoes will fall from there

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is the future, but I don't think the NHL will be the first foot in the pool on it. The NBA will do it first and all the other dominoes will fall from there

Unfortunately I have to agree. From a purely aesthetic perspective I dont like any of it however, Im sure if we checked back in in 25yrs we'd see advertising on-ice in all face-off circles, rotating rink boards or possibly LED's covered with see through Kevlar replacing wooden boards & fixed signage; ads' on goalies pads, blockers & masks; screened onto the nets & surrounding the crease; on players helmets, sweaters, pants & tape. Just remember Brodie, when your flying into the future & you see someone passing bye flying into the past, its probably not a good idea to make eye contact. :squint:

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry
Welcome to age of Reebok

NHL jerseys already have advertising on it, look at the Reebok logo and all that BS about Reebok Edge jerseys you hear everytime people talk about jerseys.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Its just me, but if I ever see this in the NHL or AHL, I'm never going to another game again. Seriously, I can't even tell what team this guy plays on.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
There's another factor to be considered here: jersey sales.

Merchandise sales are a big revenue stream for the NHL. Sure, they would make some money selling ad space on jerseys, but it wouldn't be worth it of their jersey sales to fans took a hit.

Speaking for myself, I've spent probably over $1000 on various authentic and replica NHL jerseys, but I wouldn't buy another one the moment they turned into corporate billboards. I buy and wear hockey jerseys because I want to support my team, not to support some bank or airline or telecom.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
people would be shocked if they found out how new advertising on soccer jerseys in Europe is (the mid-80's in England, for example). Some people gave up on the game, but the vast majority just moved on.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
people would be shocked if they found out how new advertising on soccer jerseys in Europe is (the mid-80's in England, for example). Some people gave up on the game, but the vast majority just moved on.

I wouldn't give up on hockey, I'd just stop buying the new ad-plastered merchandise. I'm simply not going to buy a hockey jersey with a corporate ad on it (not counting the unobtrusive manufacturer's mark, of course).

If the NHL is going to do something stupid like this out of pure greed, the appropriate way for fans to respond and voice their displeasure is to vote with their wallets, and ensure that such a move will backfire financially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad