Potential for a Free Agency hostage situation in the NHL a la DeAndre Jordan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Because he's good at basketball? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The superiority complex on these boards needs to die a slow, painful and very public death. It's disgusting.

No, it's actually disgusting what DeAndre did. It's unprofessional and it's going to change the way the NBA deals with free agency, guaranteed. He verbally committed to the Mavericks, so they thought that they had their franchise centre, and committed a maximum allowable contract to him. That means during the days where they thought they had Jordan signed, they missed out on any potential trades and any other potential free agent signings because they figured they had no money left to work with. It ended up costing them point guard Jeremy Lin and potentially point guard J.J. Barea. They also missed out on trading for centre Roy Hibbert who surely would have provided a good backup option had they known they wouldn't land DeAndre Jordan.

The moratorium period is dumb, but what Jordan did is even dumber. Wouldn't shock me one bit to see the Mavericks try to hurt him with hard fouls the first time they play the Clippers

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, it's actually disgusting what DeAndre did. It's unprofessional and it's going to change the way the NBA deals with free agency, guaranteed. He verbally committed to the Mavericks, so they thought that they had their franchise centre, and committed a maximum allowable contract to him. That means during the days where they thought they had Jordan signed, they missed out on any potential trades and any other potential free agent signings because they figured they had no money left to work with. It ended up costing them point guard Jeremy Lin and potentially point guard J.J. Barea. They also missed out on trading for centre Roy Hibbert who surely would have provided a good backup option had they known they wouldn't land DeAndre Jordan.

The moratorium period is dumb, but what Jordan did is even dumber. Wouldn't shock me one bit to see the Mavericks try to hurt him with hard fouls the first time they play the Clippers
NBA is way to buddy buddy for that. Also there is more to the story, DJ is rumored to of thought he was manipulated by his agent. But this will change NBA free agency.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
NBA is way to buddy buddy for that. Also there is more to the story, DJ is rumored to of thought he was manipulated by his agent. But this will change NBA free agency.

He was pressured a bit by his agent to sign with Dallas because of the multiple connections to the Mavericks that agent has, including to Mark Cuban, that doesn't mean manipulated. No player can be manipulated by their agent into signing somewhere they don't want to sign. At the end of the day DJ picked Dallas, then went back on his word and re-signed in L.A. Something is going to happen when the two teams meet

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

This was actually proven false. Yes his agent, Dan Fegan, is good friends with Mark Cuban BUT Fegan told Jordan BEFORE free agency about their close relationship and he was OK with it.

It really came dow to the Clips being able to offer 1 extra year and an extra 30 million.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This was actually proven false. Yes his agent, Dan Fegan, is good friends with Mark Cuban BUT Fegan told Jordan BEFORE free agency about their close relationship and he was OK with it.

It really came dow to the Clips being able to offer 1 extra year and an extra 30 million.

Not really. What it came down to is DeAndre Jordan is a smart man. Dumb for what he did, but smart for realizing that he absolutely sucks offensively and can literally do nothing but catch alley-oops from his teammates, and that wouldn't happen in Dallas and he'd be torn to shreds, likely to be eventually traded. In Los Angeles, he's the comfortable 3rd option, now 4th with Paul Pierce on the team, and can sit back and make his money just to play defence

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
After reading more about the situation today, apparently the moratorium period is made to allow teams to speak to players during free agency and have time to pitch offers so they don't feel confined to discuss contracts before the cap space is announced and while playoffs are happening (even though we know a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" is happening in June or even earlier).

I am polarized by this though, because I think it is ridiculous to open free agency and allow reliable "sources" to publicly express signings (obviously not until actual contracts are signed on the 9th) on July 1st that for sure happened during June interactions and pretend that contract negotiations happened in such a small window but we have to wait until it is official. But at the same time, I don't care...at all....sports have shady contract negotiations like all the rest of the world.

We could go in circles as to the merits of players and teams signing early in free agency, but some people just want to get it over with. Apparently many players and teams are like members of HF (including me) and just want to get the process over with on day 1 and DeAndre Jordan was a victim of second guessing his own decision from day 1, but was actually in his own legal right. He may look like an idiot or less of a "man" or what have you but he is well within his legal limits.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
After reading more about the situation today, apparently the moratorium period is made to allow teams to speak to players during free agency and have time to pitch offers so they don't feel confined to discuss contracts before the cap space is announced and while playoffs are happening (even though we know a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" is happening in June or even earlier).

I am polarized by this though, because I think it is ridiculous to open free agency and allow reliable "sources" to publicly express signings (obviously not until actual contracts are signed on the 9th) on July 1st that for sure happened during June interactions and pretend that contract negotiations happened in such a small window but we have to wait until it is official. But at the same time, I don't care...at all....sports have shady contract negotiations like all the rest of the world.

We could go in circles as to the merits of players and teams signing early in free agency, but some people just want to get it over with. Apparently many players and teams are like members of HF (including me) and just want to get the process over with on day 1 and DeAndre Jordan was a victim of second guessing his own decision from day 1, but was actually in his own legal right. He may look like an idiot or less of a "man" or what have you but he is well within his legal limits.

Of course within his legal limits but it brings about the question of the legitimacy of the NBA's current free agency period. The moratorium, after reading into it, is vital. But if it's so vital, simply delay the actual beginning of free agency until July 9th. No need to have insiders coming out with tweets/reports saying "Player X has signed in Los Angeles to a max deal" or whatever, because it hasn't actually happened yet. There is nothing to gain by having these "deals" announced prior to actually being able to sign.

That's why I like what the NHL has done. They opened a window of a few days prior to July 1st for free agents to speak to teams, and on July 1st pen is put to paper if you please. The NBA needs to change their free agency.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Had Jordan gone back on his word within a day or two of his initial agreement with the Mavericks, it would not have been as big a deal.
Sure the Mavericks would have been disappointed, but they could have worked on a plan b.
But Jordan waited so long that any other options were pretty much gone, because to the surprise of nobody, none of the other big name free agents would go back on their word.

It's a kind of strange situation. Nobody did anything against the rules, but it still feels so wrong. Maybe Jordan was being a jerk, maybe he was just undecided and a had a few too many people whispering in his ear, first to sign with the Mavs and then others to stay in L.A.

One thing is for sure this was another example why I hate social media.
A lot of people seem to love this whole twitter stuff emojis and all, but with the exception of the Cuban vs. Broussard banter I found very little of it entertaining.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
He was pressured a bit by his agent to sign with Dallas because of the multiple connections to the Mavericks that agent has, including to Mark Cuban, that doesn't mean manipulated. No player can be manipulated by their agent into signing somewhere they don't want to sign. At the end of the day DJ picked Dallas, then went back on his word and re-signed in L.A. Something is going to happen when the two teams meet

Objection: Hearsay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad