Potential for a Free Agency hostage situation in the NHL a la DeAndre Jordan

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Given the DeAndre Jordan fiasco going on right now in the NBA, with the current CBA allowing teams to talk with players freely between the draft and July 1st (signings being unofficial), I'm wondering if we could see this sometime in the NHL potentially, especially with a more coveted UFA, where a team literally holds a player hostage to sign with them.

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
The NHL doesn't have a stupid free-agency like the NBA does.

And people in the NHL have much more class than DJ. So that would honestly never happen even if we did have a 7day period.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Maybe you should let non NBA fans know what the situation is. We don't all follow NBA.

DeAndre Jordan was a fairly big free agent and decided to "sign" with the Dallas Mavericks for 4 years. After a couple of days and players from his old team publicly criticizing their own team (The LA Clippers) for not being able to retain him, DeAndre Jordan decided he didn't want to go to the Mavericks and would rather return to his old team for whatever reason. Apparently the verbal agreement is a big deal in the NBA considering teams can't sign the first day of free agency which is July 1st as well, I believe they can start signing in the next couple days though.

I'm confused with the situation though because apparently he is being "handcuffed" by the Mavericks for verbally agreeing to them, but why would they want him after pulling that crap and how could they handcuff someone without actually signing?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Given the DeAndre Jordan fiasco going on right now in the NBA, with the current CBA allowing teams to talk with players freely between the draft and July 1st (signings being unofficial), I'm wondering if we could see this sometime in the NHL potentially, especially with a more coveted UFA, where a team literally holds a player hostage to sign with them.

For us, people not much following the NBA, will be cool, if you say, whats the point.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To sum things up in the NBA:

- In their CBA, free agency starts on July 1st. However, they have a "Moratorium" period until July 9th where players actually can't put pen to paper and sign until 12:00am July 9th. So until then, it's simply verbal agreements.

- Various players/team reps announce a player "signing" during this moratorium period, but it hasn't actually happened yet. But the team and the player usually are fairly confident that the verbal agreement will be followed through by both sides.

- DeAndre Jordan was a free agent. He verbally committed to a 4 year, 80 million dollar contract with the Dallas Mavericks a few days ago. Mark Cuban, Mavericks owner, even did an interview saying how excited he was to get DeAndre and the different ways the Mavericks would use him. Since it was the moratorium period, he was fined 25K since you can't actually talk about the player in public if you're a team representative.

- DeAndre Jordan gets cold feet, calls "ex" head coach Doc Rivers and co. from the Los Angeles Clippers and informs them that he isn't sure about the move and wants to come back to the Clippers.

- Going against his agent's word, DeAndre has a meeting with coach Rivers, the Clippers' owner Steve Ballmer, and Clippers players Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, J.J. Reddick and Paul Pierce. While at DeAndre's home in Texas, Jordan refuses to take calls from his agent, Mark Cuban, or any Mavericks player. They essentially stayed in his home until DeAndre could officially sign a contract.

- Today, at 12:01am DeAndre Jordan officially signed a contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, thus going back on his verbal agreement to originally sign with the Mavericks

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary

Well someone better call the cops since this is a pretty serious crime.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The moratorium is one of the most WTF things in North American pro sports, because it leads to things like this happening. It isn't the first time it's happened either.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The moratorium is one of the most WTF things in North American pro sports, because it leads to things like this happening. It isn't the first time it's happened either.

Yep. It literally serves no purpose whatsoever. Why start free agency July 1st if you aren't going to allow players to sign until July 9th.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
The entire NBA got in on this. Clippers players, Warriors players, legends, Kobe, everyone lol. One thing I will say is NBA players definitely show their personality a lot more than NHL players.

Best day in the NBA ever.

Pretty sure it won't happen in the NHL since nobody wants to announce anything until Free Agency officially starts. If we're talking about people going back on their original decision I mean we did have Michael Nylander a few years back so it'll probably happen again. And to be fair as well, the Clippers players were keeping a convinced Jordan busy of his own will, not against.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Best day in the NBA ever.

Pretty sure it won't happen in the NHL since nobody wants to announce anything until Free Agency officially starts. If we're talking about people going back on their original decision I mean we did have Michael Nylander a few years back so it'll probably happen again. And to be fair as well, the Clippers players were keeping a convinced Jordan busy of his own will, not against.

The reason it won't ever happen in the NHL is because it occurred during the moratorium period. The NHL has this, but it's before free agency (The logical time). So teams are not allowed to discuss financials. They probably do, but they don't publicly announce it or have it reported by a media figure like the NBA does.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
"Being held hostage"? Cmon now

No, it sounds like he wanted to leave, and once his teammates realized this, and knew there was still time they went and sweet talked him into coming back. Since there were no automatic weapons present and his family wasnt bound and gagged, I'm gonna put this down to persuasiveness, not forcing him to do anything.

Sounds like the Mavs got overconfident of getting their man. For any fans of soccer out there, Ballmer and the Boys "gazumped" Cuban. It's sneaky but the player changed his mind, and as they always say "its a business first"

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
To sum things up in the NBA:

- In their CBA, free agency starts on July 1st. However, they have a "Moratorium" period until July 9th where players actually can't put pen to paper and sign until 12:00am July 9th. So until then, it's simply verbal agreements.

- Various players/team reps announce a player "signing" during this moratorium period, but it hasn't actually happened yet. But the team and the player usually are fairly confident that the verbal agreement will be followed through by both sides.

- DeAndre Jordan was a free agent. He verbally committed to a 4 year, 80 million dollar contract with the Dallas Mavericks a few days ago. Mark Cuban, Mavericks owner, even did an interview saying how excited he was to get DeAndre and the different ways the Mavericks would use him. Since it was the moratorium period, he was fined 25K since you can't actually talk about the player in public if you're a team representative.

- DeAndre Jordan gets cold feet, calls "ex" head coach Doc Rivers and co. from the Los Angeles Clippers and informs them that he isn't sure about the move and wants to come back to the Clippers.

- Going against his agent's word, DeAndre has a meeting with coach Rivers, the Clippers' owner Steve Ballmer, and Clippers players Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, J.J. Reddick and Paul Pierce. While at DeAndre's home in Texas, Jordan refuses to take calls from his agent, Mark Cuban, or any Mavericks player. They essentially stayed in his home until DeAndre could officially sign a contract.

- Today, at 12:01am DeAndre Jordan officially signed a contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, thus going back on his verbal agreement to originally sign with the Mavericks

That is utterly disgusting. Why on earth would you want a 'professional ' like that with zero sense of honor, integrity, or just about any relevant and valuable character trait?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
That is utterly disgusting. Why on earth would you want a 'professional ' like that with zero sense of honor, integrity, or just about any relevant and valuable character trait?

Because he's good at basketball? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The superiority complex on these boards needs to die a slow, painful and very public death. It's disgusting.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not allowing them to sign until the 9th is the dumbest thing I've heard. Why?

A week might be overkill, but it's not hard to imagine how much of a whirlwind July 1st could be. I think most of us would want a little time to think about multiple offers, which could very well mean uprooting your family.

It's an interesting read, but here's a behind the scenes look at Mike Gillis (back when he was a player agent) negotiating multiple deals on July 1, 2002: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1840485

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
DeAndre Jordan was a fairly big free agent and decided to "sign" with the Dallas Mavericks for 4 years. After a couple of days and players from his old team publicly criticizing their own team (The LA Clippers) for not being able to retain him, DeAndre Jordan decided he didn't want to go to the Mavericks and would rather return to his old team for whatever reason. Apparently the verbal agreement is a big deal in the NBA considering teams can't sign the first day of free agency which is July 1st as well, I believe they can start signing in the next couple days though.

I'm confused with the situation though because apparently he is being "handcuffed" by the Mavericks for verbally agreeing to them, but why would they want him after pulling that crap and how could they handcuff someone without actually signing?

In the nhl verbal agreements mean nothing due to the lindros rule. Most recently the oilers verbally signed Nylander (okay this was about 5 years ago) press conference was announced, tickets for the flight booked and everything was set. 12 hours later he signed with the caps. Oilers could do nothing even both Nylander and his agent verbally agreed to the deal. Verbal agreementz mean nothing in the nhl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad