Potential Expansion loss

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
It isn't happening till at least 2 yrs. You worry about that when it happens as things change in that time period as the players on the team and who is more valuable may change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gh24 and Tex76

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
It isn't happening till at least 2 yrs. You worry about that when it happens as things change in that time period as the players on the team and who is more valuable may change.
Yeah, by that time we have a new top line of Nylander - Draisaitl - Stone

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The year it happens will make a big difference.

If its 2020 we could possibly convince Josi not to sign an extension until after the expansion draft and thus protect all 4 defensemen.

If its 2021 we wont have to protect Rinne (although we might not protect him in 2020, either) and thus Saros could be protected

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The year it happens will make a big difference.

If its 2020 we could possibly convince Josi not to sign an extension until after the expansion draft and thus protect all 4 defensemen.

If its 2021 we wont have to protect Rinne (although we might not protect him in 2020, either) and thus Saros could be protected

If you're Josi, do you give up the extra year on a contract? I wouldn't if I was him. That's leaving some serious coin on the table.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If you're Josi, do you give up the extra year on a contract? I wouldn't if I was him. That's leaving some serious coin on the table.

Are you saying he cant sign for 8 years between the expansion draft and July 1? I didnt know that was a thing, I thought as long as he was under contract he could still sign for 8

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Are you saying he cant sign for 8 years between the expansion draft and July 1? I didnt know that was a thing, I thought as long as he was under contract he could still sign for 8

If he's still under contract then couldn't he be taken by Seattle? I think he's still have to be protected if that's the case. The way the timing of the expansion draft and free agency lands is a bit muddy. Maybe someone else will have a better knowledge of this than us.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Technically an expansion team can choose an impending UFA but it would be dumb to do it if you know he isn't going to sign with you. So Seattle could choose Josi then after July 1st he resigns with the Preds or anybody else and they get nobody and waste a pick.

Now the Preds can resign Josi between the expansion draft and July 1st so they wouldn't have to protect him but that is a risk. You'd much rather have a contract signed and not just be his word.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Vegas did get a chance to talk to impending UFAs, if I recall, to feel them out. Know if they had any interest in signing with them. It's a risky business unless the player and the organisation (Poile most of all I suppose) have a strong confidence and trust between each other.

And if the above is correct, length of the deal won't be an issue either. From a fan point of view, that would be perfect. Both parties might want to ink that deal earlier, thought.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If he's still under contract then couldn't he be taken by Seattle? I think he's still have to be protected if that's the case. The way the timing of the expansion draft and free agency lands is a bit muddy. Maybe someone else will have a better knowledge of this than us.

The expansion draft is before July 1(and IIRC before the regular draft). If hes under contract with us and Seattle takes him, they lose him July 1 with no compensation, so that would be a stupid pick on their part. But this would all have to be with Josi's consent and with an extension worked out and ready to sign the day after the expansion draft, otherwise it's too risky

Edit.. I see this was covered

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes, he could be claimed. Vegas was able to take UFAs, did take a few, and in a few cases (Brickley, Thorburn, Berube) those picks went on to sign with other teams. Josi could end up just not signing with them and returning to Nashville, but he'd forefeit that eighth year in the process - and the League just might say "I don't like the smell of this" and penalize the org.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yes, he could be claimed. Vegas was able to take UFAs, did take a few, and in a few cases (Brickley, Thorburn, Berube) those picks went on to sign with other teams. Josi could end up just not signing with them and returning to Nashville, but he'd forefeit that eighth year in the process - and the League just might say "I don't like the smell of this" and penalize the org.
No they won't. He is an UFA and Seattle would know that going in. If he decided to resign with us then there is absolutely nothing they could do about it. That's what being an UFA is, being able to go anywhere you want and the Preds would have a field day with the league in the courts if they tried to do anything.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

There would be no smell. It would be entirely legal. It would stink no worse that Fisher unretiring last spring. And it would be colossally stupid of Seattle to waste a pick like that, especially with the solid forwards that Nashville will have to expose

Reactions: Legionnaire11

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
This thread makes me nervous. Roster changes are inevitable, expansions just make things more... interesting. Following OP's instructions id say:
Arvi
Saros
Hartman
Ekholm
Ellis
Fiala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad