Proposal: Potential Draft day trades?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Caufield is most likely going to go in the top ten. I don't see any assets that would allow the NJ Devils to acquire another top ten pick.

Picks most likely not available: New Jersey, NYR, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Vancouver
50/50: LA, EDM & ANA
Pick most likely to be traded: Colorado

New Jersey would have to trade Hall to get a top ten pick. No one else on the roster who is older contains much values.

If Chicago goes with drafting Defense then the pick is 100% not moving.

However, if Chicago plans on drafting a forward, I can very easily see Chicago trading back. If someone is hot after podkozlin, dach, turcotte or someone and Chicago really likes a number of prospects, they could turn around their mini rebuild pretty quickly if they get a roster player in return too

I just also don't see Chicago waiting on podkozlin for at least two years in Russia when they can get a player than might make the opening night roster in 6 months

Chicago also needs to draft a potential no 1 center now to plan for a Toews replacement as he declines in the next few years

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Very speculative on my part but Leafs...

If Muzzin seems like he might be re-signed, Dermott might be available for a RD of similar age. Rasmus Sandin at LD looks super promising.

Johnsson/Kapanen/Nylander/Kadri/Brown could all potentially be available for defense help. Some Leafs will say "x isn't available" but we've all heard that before and it happens anyway.

Zaitsev has done very well in the playoffs with Muzzin, not sure how much they'd be looking to deal him. It was said Dubas wasn't a fan of the contract extension but as soon as he was paired with Muzzin he has been good.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Rangers need to go younger and look for quality over quantity in the draft. Kreider fits Edmonton like a glove, I'm confident he could want to resign to be able to play with one of the best centers ever. Poolparty needs a fresh start and Edmonton could really use those later first rounders to inject a couple guys on ELCs into that lineup that could be struggling for cap space for a while.

This is purely hypothetical for now. 19th overall is the Winnipeg pick, 28th overall is the potential Dallas pick.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
To Oilers or Buffalo:
- Chris Kreider
- Rangers second 1st round pick (Jets Pick, will be between 18-21)

To Rangers:
- Oilers/Buffalo 1st round pick
- 2nd Round Pick (maybe 3rd instead if the pitchforks come out)

Between Oilers or Buffalo, who is ready to acquire a fast, impact player and finally stop adding more prospects who can be years away from making a impact. One of these teams need to make a serious push for the playoffs next season after years of rebuilding.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Rangers need to go younger and look for quality over quantity in the draft. Kreider fits Edmonton like a glove, I'm confident he could want to resign to be able to play with one of the best centers ever. Poolparty needs a fresh start and Edmonton could really use those later first rounders to inject a couple guys on ELCs into that lineup that could be struggling for cap space for a while.
lol, way too much for the Rangers. Puljujarvi isn't even a lock to play in the NHL next season. And we don't even have the 28th yet and likely won't.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't follow how we even have the picks you're offering.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
too much for a player who could remain a 1st round disappointment.
the whole hockey world noticed when CBJ's Finnish GM took DuBois instead,
and there has been no second-guessing that call since

i agree Kreider could fit with EO,
and that there could be a deal to be made that helps both teams

I would look more a package such as Bear, Maksimov, '20 2d, '21 2d
Maksimov might eventually even contribute comparable to Puljujarvi, without the hype and attention

i get that EO would wants first(s) back in a Puljujarvi deal,
but i don't see him having shown other teams that's a wise price to pay
i won't be surprised seeing EO accepting a Paajarvi-type return

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
too much for a player who could remain a 1st round disappointment.
the whole hockey world noticed when CBJ's Finnish GM took DuBois instead,
and there has been no second-guessing that call since

i agree Kreider could fit with EO,
and that there could be a deal to be made that helps both teams

I would look more a package such as Bear, Maksimov, '20 2d, '21 2d
Maksimov might eventually even contribute comparable to Puljujarvi, without the hype and attention

i get that EO would wants first(s) back in a Puljujarvi deal,
but i don't see him having shown other teams that's a wise price to pay
i won't be surprised seeing EO accepting a Paajarvi-type return

I don't think there's too many Oiler fans are expecting a 1st back for Puljujarvi based on his progression so far. We're better off giving him some proper time to develop (in Finland if need be) than trading him when his value is at an all time low. As for the deal you suggested I don't think I'd do it. Edmonton's cap situation makes promising young prospects like Maksimov and Bear with cheap contracts essential for us moving forward. Sure we need help right now, and Kreider would provide that, but I think the best plan moving forward is taking things slow.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The idea was Puljujarvi = Kreider (1 year remaining, not guaranteed to re-sign) and 19+28 = 8. Maybe I'm off.

Kreider’s status as a pending free agent doesn’t stoop his value that low... especially when you consider that he has developed good chemistry with Zibanejad on NYR’s top line.

Puljujarvi hasn’t shown enough to warrant that kind of valuation. It’s way off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->