Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hurricanes still hoping to make big splash at draft, but NHL market remains stagnant
The Hurricanes are one of five or six teams with serious interest in the Washington Capitals' Philipp Grubauer, a restricted free agent, but there's stiff competition for the top goalie on the market.

“He's the best option, I think, that's out there,” Washington general manager Brian MacLellan said. “You maybe look at the past goalies that have gone, it's probably a late first(-round pick), maybe an early second. ... He wants to be a No. 1 somewhere. He doesn't want to be a No. 2 anymore, and we want to accommodate his wishes.”

The Hurricanes have a second-round pick, 42nd overall, to offer, but the New York Islanders, who could flip first-round picks with Washington – the 11th or 12th for the 31st – are considered the front-runners. Any Grubauer deal involving a swap of first-round picks would have to happen by Friday night, so there's some time pressure on the Capitals to get that done.
10 Thoughts: Bergevin looking to add centre, defenceman for Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca
6. Speaking of the Capitals, it sounds like there’s been quite a bit of interest in Philipp Grubauer. One exec, who admitted interest, said Wednesday that the price could be higher than he thought it would be.

Two outsiders that might make some sense: Chicago and Ottawa.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If the Caps can follow up their Cup win by having two 1st rounders this year I won't be overly upset.

Really curious to see if he ends up in NYI with Trotz. I wonder if they could (or would) package Orpik along with him. Trotz absolutely loves Orpik, the Islanders have the cap space and a need for some more depth on defense, and Orpik is a terrific penalty killer and the Isles penalty kill was... not good last year. It wouldn't shock me.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If the Caps can follow up their Cup win by having two 1st rounders this year I won't be overly upset.

Really curious to see if he ends up in NYI with Trotz. I wonder if they could (or would) package Orpik along with him. Trotz absolutely loves Orpik, the Islanders have the cap space and a need for some more depth on defense, and Orpik is a terrific penalty killer and the Isles penalty kill was... not good last year. It wouldn't shock me.

With one left on his deal it wouldn't shock me either. NYI could use the help on LD. But it would only really make sense if NYI resigned de Haan as well.

de-Haan-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuck
Orpik-Pelech
Toews/Mayfield

That would buy Toews a year to really get his feet wet.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Unless Crawford's on LTIR, I don't get the hawks. You'd have to pay grubauer at least 3 mil so 9 million for goaltending?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
What would they get if they trade Holtby instead and re-sign Grubauer?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Buffalo should be all over this right? Obviously not their 1st overall pick but they've got prospects and other picks.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I hope CAR backs away from this. I like Grubauer, but I don't want to go crazy for him and give up too much. There are other ways to fix our goaltending than make a stupid deals.

Reactions: MinJaBen

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Thats make my Day.

So the Islanders are interested, the Carolina Hurricanes are interested and in the Western Conference you’ve got the Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks and Colorado Avalanche, amongst others, who to varying degrees require some level of goaltending and Grubauer may or may not fit the bill in those instances.”

When Bob thinks Detroit still in the Western Conference, im not sure, how far you can trust his last statement. :D :D :D

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Lou is bold. I wonder if he's bold enough to say "nah" on trading the #11/12 pick and sending over an offer sheet instead. Anything less than $4m is only a 2nd round pick. Why wouldn't he? Is it basically just 1) potentially missing an opportunity because the draft is 9 days before free agency and 2) potentially pissing off BMac? If I were him, I'd consider it strongly.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Lou is bold. I wonder if he's bold enough to say "nah" on trading the #11/12 pick and sending over an offer sheet instead. Anything less than $4m is only a 2nd round pick. Why wouldn't he? Is it basically just 1) potentially missing an opportunity because the draft is 9 days before free agency and 2) potentially pissing off BMac? If I were him, I'd consider it strongly.
The Caps already did him a solid by releasing Trotz and Lambert early from their contracts. They could have feigned negotiating with Trotz up until July 1 making Lou look elsewhere for a coach as he would have had no idea of Trotz's availability, rather BMAC and the Caps did the honorable thing and released Trotz and Lambert early knowing that the Islanders were in the market for a coach.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
The Caps already did him a solid by releasing Trotz and Lambert early from their contracts. They could have feigned negotiating with Trotz up until July 1 making Lou look elsewhere for a coach as he would have had no idea of Trotz's availability, rather BMAC and the Caps did the honorable thing and released Trotz and Lambert early knowing that the Islanders were in the market for a coach.

Well to be fair, the Caps did Trotz the solid by releasing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad