Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Caps GM basically explicitly said that they'd be happy with retaining Gruby as backup, but that he wants to trying being a #1, and they're willing to trade him if another team is willing to give him that chance.

If any teams wants Grubauer, they should just wait till July 1 and offer him like 4M. Basially compensation is a 2nd and it screws the caps

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If any teams wants Grubauer, they should just wait till July 1 and offer him like 4M. Basially compensation is a 2nd and it screws the caps

Who knew that Grubauer would usher in the new era of offer sheet wars?!

I assume in this scenario let's say 4 teams would submit an offer on July 1st -- thereby ensuring a 25% chance of landing him, and a ~100% chance of Caps looking to offer-sheet their young players in the future.

Sure, for this kind of entertainment, the Caps will settle for a 2nd!

Reactions: txpd and BobRouse

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Who knew that Grubauer would usher in the new era of offer sheet wars?!

I assume in this scenario let's say 4 teams would submit an offer on July 1st -- thereby ensuring a 25% chance of landing him, and a ~100% chance of Caps looking to offer-sheet their young players in the future.

Sure, for this kind of entertainment, the Caps will settle for a 2nd!

As rare as offer sheets are, this consequence is rarer.

Offer sheets are made for this kind of situation. That they're not used is proof of collusion.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Point of rules: after matching an offer sheet a team can't trade the player for 1 year.

Fair enough. Point stands. Offer sheets just don’t happen. Lowe and Holmgren aren’t in the league any longer

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yeah, a year ago. You got me, Thomas Greiss was a better goalie last year than he was this year!

I also said, "oh well, we'd trade a 3rd for that year's Darling". Scott Darling, the former Chicago Blackhawks backup who was the belle of the ball last offseason for all teams needing goalies. None of whom were the Islanders who - tragically enough - had the faith in the 2016-17 season of Thomas Greiss that I did. Darling's trade value now? Not so good.

I hope Lou is smart enough to not overpay for a "good stats" backup, but it seems the hockey community has designated Grabauer the best goalie option this offseason, so maybe you will just get a 1st from the hype.

Darling had terrible goalie fundamentals, so he got exposed as his mental game is also fragile. Grubauer like Talbot has great goalie fundamentals (positioning, puck tracking, puck handling, rebound control, etc.), and Talbot succeeded on a poor defensive team as a starter.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
As rare as offer sheets are, this consequence is rarer.

Offer sheets are made for this kind of situation. That they're not used is proof of collusion.

How many offer sheets have their been since 2005? How many RFAs have there been since then?

It’s not even worth discussing.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
How many offer sheets have their been since 2005? How many RFAs have there been since then?

To be fair most goalies like grubauer get traded by the draft, so offer sheets just don't come up in practice. But they're still relevant as leverage in trade negotiations.

I still think late 1st is the limit on value, and any team spending more will have taken a huge risk.

Butchie91

Aug 11, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Nope. Nice Try. Then he goes to Buffalo. If Lou really wants Grubauer, he has to trade the 12th pick. Otherwise we will trade him out of division to Buffalo for the 32nd.
And what makes you think that Buffalo is GIVING you their second round pick? Grubauer can turn into Talbot and be a good (not great) #1 goalie or he can turn into Darling and be a waste of space. If you think you can get a first round pick for him, i have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
His value is about supply and demand.

He’s probably the best young option available with some good upside. The teams looking for goalies (buffalo, isles and canes to name a few) likely prefer a younger goalie with potential like him as opposed to an older retread.

He will get traded. It will be interesting what he brings back.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
And what makes you think that Buffalo is GIVING you their second round pick? Grubauer can turn into Talbot and be a good (not great) #1 goalie or he can turn into Darling and be a waste of space. If you think you can get a first round pick for him, i have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Didn’t the Sabres trade a 1st for a worse statistical goalie just a couple years ago? There is precedent.

Maybe it could be a case of once bitten twice shy but the assertion isn’t outrageous like you claim.

Butchie91

Aug 11, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Didn’t the Sabres trade a 1st for a worse statistical goalie just a couple years ago? There is precedent.

Maybe it could be a case of once bitten twice shy but the assertion isn’t outrageous like you claim.
I'm not saying Buffalo wouldn't, I meant that they have not indicated that they are interested.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
His value is about supply and demand.

He’s probably the best young option available with some good upside. The teams looking for goalies (buffalo, isles and canes to name a few) likely prefer a younger goalie with potential like him as opposed to an older retread.

He will get traded. It will be interesting what he brings back.

I can't speak for how Lou feels but given the Islanders have Sorokin and Soderstrom, I much rather take a sure thing as a stop gap for a few years

The Caps are rip for picking if they resin Carlson. Even if the Caps match the offer it doesn't change the fact that the 4M caphit probably will hurt the caps salary structure, so it's win win(especially for a team in the East)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I see the logic in waiting to make an offer sheet, but the trouble is if you're one of three or four teams who want him, that's a gamble.

Some teams might overpay to make sure they get his rights.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Ideally Bishop is still the main guy in Dallas so I don't think Grubauer's going to be handed the reins to the starters gig....but I wouldn't mind him stepping in as backup, since I've heard nothing about Lehtonen coming back.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

This guy posted this in a FB group I'm in. Claims to have a high source from Washington's farm team, the Hershey Bears.

Thats quite a big return IMO.. If Caps can get that, it would be unreal for them. I wouldnt think he would fetch that type of return but who knows!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Thats quite a big return IMO.. If Caps can get that, it would be unreal for them. I wouldnt think he would fetch that type of return but who knows!
Agreed. Anything after the 12th overall would be a nice sweetner. My original thoughts were that Washington had to have someone or something else going back along with Grubauer

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I kinda just assumed a trade would sorta just look like a Talbot ish type return when Oilers acquired him

But what do i know!!

If Caps can get a 12th overall +, that is deadly.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Seems like a huge return. Assuming the AHL player is Michael Dal Colle.
This was his second message in the FB group. Took that as maybe John Stevens kid or that caliber of player that was in Bridgeport last year. Again, this is all hypothetical because this guy hasn't said anything other than he has a "source" which probably means with the Bears considering the group is a Hershey Bears related FB group. The only Bears source that would have that type of knowledge would be the Bears GM Bryan Helmer and I can't see him leaking that to some random guy

It’s Grubi for the 12th, a fifth rounder, and a forward “prospect”. I put prospect in quotes because from what I’ve heard it’s not going to be a guy to make the Caps or compete, but a person to help the Bears with depth on the forward lines this year.

I personally think this guy is full of shit to be honest

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Grubauer deal is a tricky one. Especially when discussing trade with Islanders because there are so many moving parts. In terms of goalies on the market right now, he's the best one. I think a lot on those negotiations would hinge on where Lou is with Tavares. If they are getting closer and trading for Grubauer would help show JT that they mean to stay competitive, then i wouldn't be shocked to see 12th overall moved for that. On the Capitals front i wouldn't be too eager to trade with Islanders if they aren't willing to move a good piece in that trade. There are a lot of pressure on their front because they might lose Tavares if they don't do something. There is always Carter Hutton who is UFA but is it too late already then? Not to mention that i would assume Blues are eager to keep him so getting him isn't that easy.

In terms of Grubauer's value i think it changes a lot for some teams. His ES numbers are off the charts and numbers on the PK are nothing special, so i wouldn't be surprised if team that gives up lots of chances but have elite PK and think they can help him in that regard would value him higher than some other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad