Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Hammettf2b, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. justafan22

justafan22 Registered User

Andersen had more rope in the NHL than Grubauer did.

Schneider is a good comparable for games played.

I saw a proposed deal of 12 for Grubauer and 31.

2. MinJaBen

MinJaBen Canes Sharks Boy Sponsor

Clearly, we need to add Aho and Necas to the mix. Just to be fair.

sheriff bart and Cane mutiny like this.
  3. trick9

trick9 Registered User

[​IMG]

He's good.

Hivemind and AlexBrovechkin8 like this.
  4. MinJaBen

MinJaBen Canes Sharks Boy Sponsor

So was Darling.

5. hb11xchamps

hb11xchamps Registered User

If the Caps have to add to Grubauer for the 12OA, I'd rather throw in Florida's 2nd (45-46 OA I believe) instead of our 31OA

cleaver likes this.
  6. trick9

trick9 Registered User

No thanks.

Darling was worse despite being older.

Hivemind likes this.
  7. justafan22

justafan22 Registered User

45 + grubauer for 12 is a fair deal IMO

8. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

Graubauer has performed better than Darling for longer than Darling at a younger age than Darling.

BobRouse and AlexBrovechkin8 like this.
  9. StreetHawk

StreetHawk Registered User

Caps need to make a deal by the draft. Can’t let it get to July 1.

With the the rising cap the compensation thresholds for Rfa offer sheets keep going up. A team can almost offer a darling contract and the comp is a 2nd round pick. Caps can’t afford to match.

Outside of Detroit who holds Vegas #30 pick I don’t see the caps getting a 1st straight up.

Isles would have to trade down a bit to get extra picks to make giving up that first more manageable.

Varly went for a 2012 1st. Schneider for a 2013 1st. Around #10 each. Then in 2015, leaner goes for a 1st in the mid 20’s. Jones ends up being for a 2016 #29 pick. Talbot for a #2 and #3 round pick.

Returns really depend on how good a team feels about the goalie along with the remaining term and control of the guy.

10. hb11xchamps

hb11xchamps Registered User

I don't think Varlamov can be a good comparable for a few reasons. 1st being that he was younger when he was traded so his value was higher. 2nd being the Caps had no idea that the 1st Colorado gave up would have been as high as it was as the deal was done the offseason prior to that year's draft

11. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

If anything, many felt it would be even higher than it was for Varlamov. The deal was done a year in advance of the 2012 draft, yes. But at the time of the deal Colorado was picking #2 overall in the 2011 draft. I think many expected their pick in 2012 to be a top 10 pick once again (it fell just short at 11th). Colorado had no protection clauses for their draft pick on that trade.

Plus Washington got a conditional 2nd round selection on top of Colorado's 2012 1st (that 2nd was later traded to Dallas).

hb11xchamps likes this.
  12. Isles72

Isles72 Registered User

never thought of detroit as a suiter for grubauer but with those extra picks laying around they just might be .

maybe isles could send something to detroit for Howard

BelovedIsles and PWJunior like this.
  13. THE Green Man

THE Green Man Registered User

I have this strange feeling this could end up like Jones' situation. Washington will trade him out of division for a lesser return, only for him to get traded back into the division to the Islanders.

14. Bought Out Browsy

Bought Out Browsy Not A Flamer

Honestly I hope Calgary picks him up some how, him and Saaros are they next upcoming starters.

15. captainpaxil

captainpaxil Registered User

Offers ive seen that coul be a reasonable expectation.

Buffalo for 32
    Grubs +31 for 19 for philly
    And a flyers fan proposed the islanders top that with gubs and 31 for 12

16. ZeroPucksGiven

ZeroPucksGiven Registered User

Who is Detroit's starter then?

Edited to clarify: what happens if Det doesn't land Grubs?

17. Number1RedWingsFan52

Number1RedWingsFan52 Registered User

Hospital worker
    Well i would assume that Howard getting moved would depend if DET did land Grubs, Or maybe they just sign a couple of cheap UFA Goalies this summer Hutton could be an option and someone else.

18. sheriff bart

sheriff bart 'scuse me while I whip this out

Sheriff of Rock Ridge
    I think the Canes kind of have a log jam of forwards who are ready to push for NHL spots, but need to thin a couple of those out if they aren't going to promote them this year. Seems like Wash and Car would be good trading partners here.

19. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

Washington has enough of a logjam of minor league graduates looking for roster spots as it is (Gersich, Boyd, Walker, Jonsson-Fjallby, etc). There's not tremendous motivation to add to that collection of players, especially given that none of the forwards Carolina has available are particularly tantilizing. Especially not when Grubauer is the chief piece going the other way.

Zykov has more offensive upside than any of the aforementioned Washington players, but Washington also has Vrana and Burakovsky in a similar age bracket as middle six scoring wingers. If they move Burakovsky in a separate deal, maybe it becomes more appealing. But even still, Zykov is pretty much a boom-or-bust prospect nearing the end of his developmental rope at this point.

Warren Foegele is the one who has a skillset that the Capitals young forwards would be missing, and could potentially even slot in as an every day 4C for the Capitals next year if Beagle moves on in free agency. But getting a prospective 4C back as the centerpiece for a goalie prospect like Grubby is a pretty iffy return.

Poor trading partners.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  20. BobRouse

BobRouse Registered User

Offer sheet huh?

Like the 2 or 3 total that have been given out in the last 20 years? Penner, Kesler and Weber are rare examples.

NHL GMs (sans Former GM Holmgren) just do not do offersheets. They don’t care to make enemies. This is the old boys club and e eryone knows it.

Besides the Caps could easily match and then trade him for a greater return.

Don’t kid yourself. Offer sheets are a farce

21. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know that they're poor trading partners but I also don't think that group or glut particularly distinguishes them either. It depends on who else other teams could make available as sweeteners. Might Lou clear out H0-Sang and would the Caps have interest? That would be a higher upside play, though who knows if the Caps would have interest. Dallas has a number of young forwards on the cusp or already in depth roles that they could make available. I wouldn't let Boyd or Walker stop them from acquiring more forward depth, particularly if they're more inclined to move Burakovsky for cap reasons. The Caps could add a forward or two early in the draft but there could be enough of a gap still to want better insurance developing. They could just try to find another Connolly/DSP in UFA but it could be useful have even more developing in Hershey. The main piece would still be a second rounder but depending on what's made available I think one of Kuokkanen/Foegele/Saarela could draw interest. I'm just not sure they would close the deal to the extent that it would stop them from moving him out West for a comparable package. That's the problem with the more modestly priced in-division offers. Is there a sweetener that closes the deal otherwise? Hard to say yes conclusively.

While Cam Talbot did go for a smaller return, it's worth mentioning that he moved after Jones & Lehner that off-season whereas Grubauer certainly seems to be the top option available. Again, not convinced he nets a first rounder outright but I'd be surprised if they're forced to move him for a Talbot level return within the division. Interest ought to be stronger than that. They need to be flexible about what they'd take back to some extent and also may want to wait until Carlson gets resolved or else perhaps this asset could be better used for different ends (like being flipped in a package for another RD potentially).

22. Red Winger 87

Red Winger 87 Registered User

Right now, it would be Howard. If they land Grubauer, it would probably be a 1A-1B situation. Or, they could sign a backup and trade Howard to, say, NYI.

23. Newsworthy

Newsworthy Registered User

If Holtby goes down with a season ending injury you'd think having a good back up makes the most sense

24. artilector

artilector Registered User

Caps GM basically explicitly said that they'd be happy with retaining Gruby as backup, but that he wants to trying being a #1, and they're willing to trade him if another team is willing to give him that chance.

25. dano16

dano16 Registered User

Point of rules: after matching an offer sheet a team can't trade the player for 1 year.

Zenon Konopka Jr and BobRouse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.