Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Andersen had more rope in the NHL than Grubauer did.

Schneider is a good comparable for games played.

I saw a proposed deal of 12 for Grubauer and 31.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If Carolina really wants him, they have to trade the 2nd overall pick. Buffalo's 32nd overall pretty much has the same value as 2nd overall (especially when you account for trading in the division), so come back to the Caps when you're ready to start discussing trade value like an adult :cool:. Otherwise I'll just laugh at your misfortune because Grabauer is the only goalie available on the market.
Clearly, we need to add Aho and Necas to the mix. Just to be fair.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
goalie-saves.png

He's good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Caps need to make a deal by the draft. Can’t let it get to July 1.

With the the rising cap the compensation thresholds for Rfa offer sheets keep going up. A team can almost offer a darling contract and the comp is a 2nd round pick. Caps can’t afford to match.

Outside of Detroit who holds Vegas #30 pick I don’t see the caps getting a 1st straight up.

Isles would have to trade down a bit to get extra picks to make giving up that first more manageable.

Varly went for a 2012 1st. Schneider for a 2013 1st. Around #10 each. Then in 2015, leaner goes for a 1st in the mid 20’s. Jones ends up being for a 2016 #29 pick. Talbot for a #2 and #3 round pick.

Returns really depend on how good a team feels about the goalie along with the remaining term and control of the guy.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

With the the rising cap the compensation thresholds for Rfa offer sheets keep going up. A team can almost offer a darling contract and the comp is a 2nd round pick. Caps can’t afford to match.

Outside of Detroit who holds Vegas #30 pick I don’t see the caps getting a 1st straight up.

Isles would have to trade down a bit to get extra picks to make giving up that first more manageable.

Varly went for a 2012 1st. Schneider for a 2013 1st. Around #10 each. Then in 2015, leaner goes for a 1st in the mid 20’s. Jones ends up being for a 2016 #29 pick. Talbot for a #2 and #3 round pick.

Returns really depend on how good a team feels about the goalie along with the remaining term and control of the guy.
I don't think Varlamov can be a good comparable for a few reasons. 1st being that he was younger when he was traded so his value was higher. 2nd being the Caps had no idea that the 1st Colorado gave up would have been as high as it was as the deal was done the offseason prior to that year's draft

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Varlamov can be a good comparable for a few reasons. 1st being that he was younger when he was traded so his value was higher. 2nd being the Caps had no idea that the 1st Colorado gave up would have been as high as it was as the deal was done the offseason prior to that year's draft
If anything, many felt it would be even higher than it was for Varlamov. The deal was done a year in advance of the 2012 draft, yes. But at the time of the deal Colorado was picking #2 overall in the 2011 draft. I think many expected their pick in 2012 to be a top 10 pick once again (it fell just short at 11th). Colorado had no protection clauses for their draft pick on that trade.

Plus Washington got a conditional 2nd round selection on top of Colorado's 2012 1st (that 2nd was later traded to Dallas).

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Detroit seems like a good fit here for Grubauer given they have plenty of draft picks, such as picks 30, 33, and 36. They can then flip Howard in that case and recoup some of that. Plus Grubauer goes out of division

never thought of detroit as a suiter for grubauer but with those extra picks laying around they just might be .

maybe isles could send something to detroit for Howard

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I have this strange feeling this could end up like Jones' situation. Washington will trade him out of division for a lesser return, only for him to get traded back into the division to the Islanders.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Offers ive seen that coul be a reasonable expectation.

Buffalo for 32
Grubs +31 for 19 for philly
And a flyers fan proposed the islanders top that with gubs and 31 for 12

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
From what Larry Brooks was saying, Sounds like Lou possibly could be interested in Howard if Grubauers asking price is too high. Sounds like the Caps want a 1st for Grubauer at the very least so Lou might have interest in Howard seeing that Holland could retain on him for far less. So if Holland does deal Howard to the NYI i can totally see Detroit being players on Grubs.

Who is Detroit's starter then?

Edited to clarify: what happens if Det doesn't land Grubs?

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Carolina has half a dozen forwards age 19-22 that are close to NHL ready and could provide ELC secondary scoring for Washington.

Valentin Zykov, Warren Foegele, Aleksi Saarela, Lucas Wallmark, Janne Kuokkanen, Julien Gauthier, Nic Roy, Morgan Geekie, Stelio Matteos, etc.

Given the additions of Svechnikov, Necas, and Zykov (one I’d like to keep) the Canes can’t afford to roster too many more of these guys in the short-term. I’m not sure that the Canes see Grubauer as the answer but I think they have the ammunition.

I think the Canes kind of have a log jam of forwards who are ready to push for NHL spots, but need to thin a couple of those out if they aren't going to promote them this year. Seems like Wash and Car would be good trading partners here.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think the Canes kind of have a log jam of forwards who are ready to push for NHL spots, but need to thin a couple of those out if they aren't going to promote them this year. Seems like Wash and Car would be good trading partners here.

Washington has enough of a logjam of minor league graduates looking for roster spots as it is (Gersich, Boyd, Walker, Jonsson-Fjallby, etc). There's not tremendous motivation to add to that collection of players, especially given that none of the forwards Carolina has available are particularly tantilizing. Especially not when Grubauer is the chief piece going the other way.

Zykov has more offensive upside than any of the aforementioned Washington players, but Washington also has Vrana and Burakovsky in a similar age bracket as middle six scoring wingers. If they move Burakovsky in a separate deal, maybe it becomes more appealing. But even still, Zykov is pretty much a boom-or-bust prospect nearing the end of his developmental rope at this point.

Warren Foegele is the one who has a skillset that the Capitals young forwards would be missing, and could potentially even slot in as an every day 4C for the Capitals next year if Beagle moves on in free agency. But getting a prospective 4C back as the centerpiece for a goalie prospect like Grubby is a pretty iffy return.

Poor trading partners.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Offer sheet huh?

Like the 2 or 3 total that have been given out in the last 20 years? Penner, Kesler and Weber are rare examples.

NHL GMs (sans Former GM Holmgren) just do not do offersheets. They don’t care to make enemies. This is the old boys club and e eryone knows it.

Besides the Caps could easily match and then trade him for a greater return.

Don’t kid yourself. Offer sheets are a farce

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't know that they're poor trading partners but I also don't think that group or glut particularly distinguishes them either. It depends on who else other teams could make available as sweeteners. Might Lou clear out H0-Sang and would the Caps have interest? That would be a higher upside play, though who knows if the Caps would have interest. Dallas has a number of young forwards on the cusp or already in depth roles that they could make available. I wouldn't let Boyd or Walker stop them from acquiring more forward depth, particularly if they're more inclined to move Burakovsky for cap reasons. The Caps could add a forward or two early in the draft but there could be enough of a gap still to want better insurance developing. They could just try to find another Connolly/DSP in UFA but it could be useful have even more developing in Hershey. The main piece would still be a second rounder but depending on what's made available I think one of Kuokkanen/Foegele/Saarela could draw interest. I'm just not sure they would close the deal to the extent that it would stop them from moving him out West for a comparable package. That's the problem with the more modestly priced in-division offers. Is there a sweetener that closes the deal otherwise? Hard to say yes conclusively.

While Cam Talbot did go for a smaller return, it's worth mentioning that he moved after Jones & Lehner that off-season whereas Grubauer certainly seems to be the top option available. Again, not convinced he nets a first rounder outright but I'd be surprised if they're forced to move him for a Talbot level return within the division. Interest ought to be stronger than that. They need to be flexible about what they'd take back to some extent and also may want to wait until Carlson gets resolved or else perhaps this asset could be better used for different ends (like being flipped in a package for another RD potentially).

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Who is Detroit's starter then?

Edited to clarify: what happens if Det doesn't land Grubs?

Right now, it would be Howard. If they land Grubauer, it would probably be a 1A-1B situation. Or, they could sign a backup and trade Howard to, say, NYI.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If Holtby goes down with a season ending injury you'd think having a good back up makes the most sense

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If Holtby goes down with a season ending injury you'd think having a good back up makes the most sense

Caps GM basically explicitly said that they'd be happy with retaining Gruby as backup, but that he wants to trying being a #1, and they're willing to trade him if another team is willing to give him that chance.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Offer sheet huh?

Like the 2 or 3 total that have been given out in the last 20 years? Penner, Kesler and Weber are rare examples.

NHL GMs (sans Former GM Holmgren) just do not do offersheets. They don’t care to make enemies. This is the old boys club and e eryone knows it.

Besides the Caps could easily match and then trade him for a greater return.

Don’t kid yourself. Offer sheets are a farce

Point of rules: after matching an offer sheet a team can't trade the player for 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->