Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Im not sure StL would do #2. At this point Allen, for all his gaffes, is far better than Greiss and he’s only signed for ~$1M more and 1 Season more than Greiss.

A Greiss buyout is cheaper and shorter than an Allen buyout. I can't think of a good landing spot for Allen that wouldn't necessitate similar money going back the other way, if the Blues want to start fresh.

Even if they didn't want to make the 2nd trade, the Blues still strike me as a team with the best balance of need and assets outside of the division for Washington to look to for value.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Grabauer & Caps 1st
to the Islanders for the 12th OA Pick

Lamoriello always gets his #1 Goalie

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
NYI gets: Grubauer + WSH 7th

WSH gets: NYI 2nd (41st OA) + NYI 3rd (72nd OA) + NYI 7th (196 OA)
Nope. Nice Try. Then he goes to Buffalo. If Lou really wants Grubauer, he has to trade the 12th pick. Otherwise we will trade him out of division to Buffalo for the 32nd.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Too small of a sample size to be worth a near top-10 pick. Freddie Anderson had a body of work and great stats to back up the supposition that he could shoulder starter duties and shoulder them well. Freddie played 43 and 54 games respectively for the Ducks; he compounded that with an impressive playoffs. He was traded for a latter first. They aren’t comparables. Neither is Schneider, at the time he was considered an elite goalie prospect AND supported that w great stats (albeit a small sample size).

So a 2nd and a 3rd it will be. If not, let another club risk a first on him.

If he proves he can’t handle starter duties and doesn’t perform them well; NYI is stuck w two backups. Not worth the 12OA.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
If the Isles offer 12th it should be done deal. Its good enough of offer to forget divisional-grieves.

Other than that, if its in the 18-30 range pick(s) and its a draft day move they might wait to see whos left before moving him. If they dont have anyone special left who they want to draft they might rather take 2019 1st which they can either use at TDL or really hit a jackpot with unexpected lottery pick.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Too small of a sample size to be worth a near top-10 pick. Freddie Anderson had a body of work and great stats to back up the supposition that he could shoulder starter duties and shoulder them well. Freddie played 43 and 54 games respectively for the Ducks; he compounded that with an impressive playoffs. He was traded for a latter first. They aren’t comparables. Neither is Schneider, at the time he was considered an elite goalie prospect AND supported that w great stats (albeit a small sample size).

So a 2nd and a 3rd it will be. If not, let another club risk a first on him.

If he proves he can’t handle starter duties and doesn’t perform them well; NYI is stuck w two backups. Not worth the 12OA.
Yeah here is the problem with that. You don't want to give up a first, but Lou has to give up the first if he really wants him. Otherwise we will trade him to Buffalo to get him out of the division.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeah here is the problem with that. You don't want to give up a first, but Lou has to give up the first if he really wants him. Otherwise we will trade him to Buffalo to get him out of the division.

We aren’t sure how much LL wants him. I hope he uses a first on a proven goalie or upgrades to other needs.

Honestly I’d prefer Lehner, he has a body if starter work to support his acquisition.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I keep wondering why Carolina keeps shadowing Ward. If he wasn't on Carolina and on a contender he'd be one of the very best in the league. I'd gladly take him as our back-up to Steve Mason going forward.

But Grubauer to the Islanders is what I can see.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Why are you so sure the Sabres are absolutely involved?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Detroit seems like a good fit here for Grubauer given they have plenty of draft picks, such as picks 30, 33, and 36. They can then flip Howard in that case and recoup some of that. Plus Grubauer goes out of division

Reactions: Red Winger 87

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Capitals Get: Hurricanes 2nd overall 2018
Hurricanes Get: Grubauer, 2018 1st, 2018 1st, Jonas Siegenthaler

Caps have depth on defense, Djoos, Bowey, and Johansen. If Carlson is locked up long term and Kempny too Caps will have Orlov, Carlson, Kempny all signed for 4+ years with Niskanen coming up next year. Just enough room for the older guys and the kids to unload Siegenthaler.

Hurricanes get a goalie and the picks/prospects to build the team right.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
NYI gets: Grubauer + WSH 7th

WSH gets: NYI 2nd (41st OA) + NYI 3rd (72nd OA) + NYI 7th (196 OA)
The Cam Talbot template. The problem is if Dallas were to offer something like 44, 75 (or even 100) and 199 then the difference may not be drastic enough to move him inside the division. It doesn't necessarily need to be the 12th pick to get it done but if the offers are more uniformly of a more modest variety it stands to reason they may take other factors into consideration and just move him out West.

It's hard to say if Buffalo 100% is in the mix but there should be other teams interested, particularly if this indeed is the price range.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit seems like a good fit here for Grubauer given they have plenty of draft picks, such as picks 30, 33, and 36. They can then flip Howard in that case and recoup some of that. Plus Grubauer goes out of division
From what Larry Brooks was saying, Sounds like Lou possibly could be interested in Howard if Grubauers asking price is too high. Sounds like the Caps want a 1st for Grubauer at the very least so Lou might have interest in Howard seeing that Holland could retain on him for far less. So if Holland does deal Howard to the NYI i can totally see Detroit being players on Grubs.

member 157595

Grabauer & Caps 1st
to the Islanders for the 12th OA Pick

Lamoriello always gets his #1 Goalie

I definitely do it if I'm the Islanders; it's a slam-dunk on their end since they already have the two 1sts.

I don't think Washington does it.

Rypien37

Aug 20, 2013
I think NYI, CAR, BUF, CAL, STL, DET could all use a new #1.
I say STL because Allen is so unpredictable.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Caps have depth on defense, Djoos, Bowey, and Johansen. If Carlson is locked up long term and Kempny too Caps will have Orlov, Carlson, Kempny all signed for 4+ years with Niskanen coming up next year. Just enough room for the older guys and the kids to unload Siegenthaler.

Yeah, sounds good. Want Aho, too?

Reactions: Cane mutiny

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Give your head a shake. Washington is infinitely more likely to get a 2nd round pick than 2nd Overall. The Canes could just offer-sheet Grubauer @ $4 million and they wouldn't match. Would cost a 2019 2nd.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Give your head a shake. Washington is infinitely more likely to get a 2nd round pick than 2nd Overall. The Canes could just offer-sheet Grubauer @ $4 million and they wouldn't match. Would cost a 2019 2nd.

Nope. Nice try. If Carolina really wants him, they have to trade the 2nd overall pick. Buffalo's 32nd overall pretty much has the same value as 2nd overall (especially when you account for trading in the division), so come back to the Caps when you're ready to start discussing trade value like an adult :cool:. Otherwise I'll just laugh at your misfortune because Grabauer is the only goalie available on the market.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I keep wondering why Carolina keeps shadowing Ward. If he wasn't on Carolina and on a contender he'd be one of the very best in the league. I'd gladly take him as our back-up to Steve Mason going forward.

But Grubauer to the Islanders is what I can see.

Ward basically is content to never explore leaving Carolina as long as there is a spot for him there. He's said as much for years. I've suspected for some time that the day the Canes don't want to bring him back, there's a gentleman's agreement to move him into an organization job. I think he's a UFA in name only...there's only one team he'd sign with.

He's raising a family here; he has ties to the local community; his son's medical people, doctors and audiologists are here. (Cam's son is deaf. While he can find medical help for that anywhere...it's really a set of conditions where you try to stick with the same people and avoid making changes if you can avoid it.)

Reactions: third man in

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Give an NHL GM the chance at 1 prospect or 4?

Might be just tempting enough

Good point. Instead of your deal, lets do the Canes' 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks for #31.

After all, you get 4 prospects for just 1. Might just be tempting enough.

Reactions: MinJaBen

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

Hmm.... Carolina probably adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad