Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm curious to see what MacLellan's stance is on trading Grubauer within the division. The Islanders and Canes both stick out as teams who's love Grubauer, but the Caps may not want to trade him in the division.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm curious to see what MacLellan's stance is on trading Grubauer within the division. The Islanders and Canes both stick out as teams who's love Grubauer, but the Caps may not want to trade him in the division.

If he plays hardball, a team out West doing what Boston did with M. Jones and to a lesser extent, what Tampa did with Quincey, is a possibility.

Reactions: SI90

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018

Which teams might take a stab at trading for him?

I would love to see him go to the Islanders, it would be a great fit for him. If the Isles are able to hold onto Tavares, I could see them being a threat to finish 2nd or 3rd in the metro. This might make Washington more inclined to trade him out of their division however.

Reactions: IODCPiper

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I would love to see him go to the Islanders, it would be a great fit for him. If the Isles are able to hold onto Tavares, I could see them being a threat to finish 2nd or 3rd in the metro. This might make Washington more inclined to trade him out of their division however.
Yeah they did so well WITH Tavares this season.

If I'm McLellan, of all teams even those in the division, I'm going to make NYI pay if they want Grubauer. I'd be perfectly content as the Caps if the Isles go into next season with Greiss and......well Greiss. We need a few gimmes on the calendar. I'd honestly make a terrible GM.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Vegas might be willing to help one of us out to spite the Caps :sarcasm:
Yeah I'm sure the Caps will trade Grubauer to VGK on the cheap, oh wait Hell No they won't. Are you familiar with Vegas' GM, how bout his employment history, the Expansion Draft, any of that ringing any bells?

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah they did so well WITH Tavares this season.

If I'm McLellan, of all teams even those in the division, I'm going to make NYI pay if they want Grubauer. I'd be perfectly content as the Caps if the Isles go into next season with Greiss and......well Greiss. We need a few gimmes on the calendar. I'd honestly make a terrible GM.
Well think about it, they had a fairly young roster with lots of moves in the prior offseason, so it will take them a while to gel and gain chemistry. If they were able to add a solid goaltender in Grubauer, replacing the perennial backup Greiss, I think they would be fine.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Islanders dangling the 12th seems like the ideal return for Washington. Failing that, there's also Carolina and Buffalo as definitely possibilities, with Philadelphia, Ottawa, Detroit, and St. Louis as potential dark horses. Philadelphia has 14 and 19. St. Louis has 29 and a slew of intriguing prospects (Jordan Kyrou defintiely interests me). Detroit isn't likely to part with #6, but they have 30, 33, and 36 all to play with. Ottawa's 4th pick is out of the question, but #22 could be playable.

Carolina is the team I have the hardest time figuring out what their offer would be. They're definitely not going to offer #2 (nor should they), but they also lack the high 2nd that Buffalo and Detroit have.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Well think about it, they had a fairly young roster with lots of moves in the prior offseason, so it will take them a while to gel and gain chemistry. If they were able to add a solid goaltender in Grubauer, replacing the perennial backup Greiss, I think they would be fine.
Explain to me why the Capitals would have any interest in helping them do any of that?

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Explain to me why the Capitals would have any interest in helping them do any of that?
I (like many others in this thread) am just speculating potential destinations for Grubauer. Grubauer is an RFA and isn't going to sign a cheap team friendly deal, and considering the capitals only have 11 mil in cap space to sign him and guys like Carlson, Smith-Pelly, Wilson, etc., you do know that the caps are in a situation where they're going to trade Grubauer to the team that gives up the most in a trade, even if they are a division rival like the isles.

The caps are in a lose lose situation here, and the 30 other teams in the league are all aware of their cap situation, and likely won't pay an arm and a leg for Grubauer.
So to answer your question as to why the Caps would help the Isles out by dealing Grubauer there, it's quite simple. They're looking for the best package for him, it's not like they can hang onto Grubauer for next season, and wait until a team in the west offers a deal that they would make them feel comfortable in letting him go.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’ll be disappointed if Lou gives up 11th or 12th overall for Grubauer.

If he goes on to solve the goaltending issue, my outlook on the trade would improve, but with two 2nds and a 3rd in his pocket, I think a 1st would be overpayment.

It’s not like Carolina is dealing their 1st, and they only have one 2nd and no 3rd in this year’s draft.

NYI could offer up their 2nd and 3rd and Carolina would only be able to top that by adding picks in future drafts, which I would think have less value.

Here’s to hoping a 2nd and 3rd get it done.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’ll be disappointed if Lou gives up 11th or 12th overall for Grubauer.

If he goes on to solve the goaltending issue, my stance would obviously change, but with two 2nds and a 3rd in his pocket, I think a 1st would be overpayment.

It’s not like Carolina is dealing their 1st, and they only have one 2nd and no 3rd in this year’s draft.

NYI could offer up their 2nd and 3rd and Carolina would only be able to top that by adding picks in future drafts, which I would think have less value.

An offersheet scenario would only cost the Isles a 2nd rounder. Just FYI.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He has like fifteen career wins and lost his spot in the playoffs after two games a month ago. In what world is he on Cory Schneider’s level when he was traded to the Devils in 2013?

I want him by the way, but at a reasonable cost. 12th pick my ass...

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Reminds me a lot of Rangers fans regarding Talbot in the 2015 offseason. A backup goalie with impressive stats behind the established starter, who the team seemed destined to trade while their value was high.

They wanted to sell a backup for high value, Edmonton needed a goalie (especially getting McDavid with the 1st pick which transformed the entire culture of the team) and had 16th overall later on, not necessarily needing it.

Rangers fans convinced themselves Talbot for 16th overall was happening, all the way up until the draft when Bettman announced "The Edmonton Oilers have traded 16th overall to the New York... ... ... ... ... Islanders for Griffin Reinhart".

Talbot, of course, still ended up being traded to the Oilers for a 2nd, a 3rd, and a swap of 7th rounders. Even though the Rangers fans had decided amongst themselves that 16th overall was the most likely return.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Islanders dangling the 12th seems like the ideal return for Washington. Failing that, there's also Carolina and Buffalo as definitely possibilities, with Philadelphia, Ottawa, Detroit, and St. Louis as potential dark horses. Philadelphia has 14 and 19. St. Louis has 29 and a slew of intriguing prospects (Jordan Kyrou defintiely interests me). Detroit isn't likely to part with #6, but they have 30, 33, and 36 all to play with. Ottawa's 4th pick is out of the question, but #22 could be playable.

Carolina is the team I have the hardest time figuring out what their offer would be. They're definitely not going to offer #2 (nor should they), but they also lack the high 2nd that Buffalo and Detroit have.

Carolina has half a dozen forwards age 19-22 that are close to NHL ready and could provide ELC secondary scoring for Washington.

Valentin Zykov, Warren Foegele, Aleksi Saarela, Lucas Wallmark, Janne Kuokkanen, Julien Gauthier, Nic Roy, Morgan Geekie, Stelio Matteos, etc.

Given the additions of Svechnikov, Necas, and Zykov (one I’d like to keep) the Canes can’t afford to roster too many more of these guys in the short-term. I’m not sure that the Canes see Grubauer as the answer but I think they have the ammunition.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Reminds me a lot of Rangers fans regarding Talbot in the 2015 offseason. A backup goalie with impressive stats behind the established starter, who the team seemed destined to trade while their value was high.

They wanted to sell a backup for high value, Edmonton needed a goalie (especially getting McDavid with the 1st pick which transformed the entire culture of the team) and had 16th overall later on, not necessarily needing it.

Rangers fans convinced themselves Talbot for 16th overall was happening, all the way up until the draft when Bettman announced "The Edmonton Oilers have traded 16th overall to the New York... ... ... ... ... Islanders for Griffin Reinhart".

Talbot, of course, still ended up being traded to the Oilers for a 2nd, a 3rd, and a swap of 7th rounders. Even though the Rangers fans had decided amongst themselves that 16th overall was the most likely return.

Same thing happened before we acquired Boychuk. Boston fans thought the return was going to be a lot higher than two 2nds.

WSH really just wants the cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad