Potential buyouts on your team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If what it says in that Larry Brooks article is true (I know, it's Larry Brooks)... each team will be allowed to buy out players without the buyout price counting against the cap. Also, these players will not be allowed to re-sign with their team after the buyout of 67% of the pre-rollback contract. So who would your team consider exercising this option on?

Montreal has Brisebois and Rivet signed to absurd contracts. Brisebois' 4.5 mil for 2005/06 has a team option however with a 1 mil buyout. That will be exercised.

Rivet's 3.5 for the next two seasons is just way too much for a defenseman of his calibre. Gainey would heavily consider buying out that contract I believe, though 2/3 of that price is pretty hefty.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
kasparitas and, ummm...jagr

I figure the rangers want to keep at least one guy like holik in the lineup who brings many different things to the team. kaspar is just overpaid (though I like him) and can be replaced easy enough on the blueline and jagr isn't exactly perfect for a team trying to rebuild

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
Man, does being a fan of a small market, well managed team ever make a difference. I can't think of anyone to buy out this way on the Flames.

NYR1724

Jul 6, 2004
New York, New York
Considering the Capitals share Jagr's cap charge I think the Rangers would be better off keeping him especialy with a rollback. The Rangers have completley misused Holik and if decided to let two people go Holik and Kaspar might be them.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Levitate said:

I figure the rangers want to keep at least one guy like holik in the lineup who brings many different things to the team. kaspar is just overpaid (though I like him) and can be replaced easy enough on the blueline and jagr isn't exactly perfect for a team trying to rebuild

How about Holik?

For Philly the obvious choices would be LeClair and Amonte.

SedinFan*

If I were the Canucks, 2 players I'd buy out would be Malik and May. However I don't believe the Canucks would have to buy out anyone as I think with the 24% rollback they'll squeek under the 36 million dollar mark.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Zack Attack said:
If I were the Canucks, 2 players I'd buy out would be Malik and May. However I don't believe the Canucks would have to buy out anyone as I think with the 24% rollback they'll squeek under the 36 million dollar mark.

Malik's contract is already up, and May's will be up as well if 2004/05 contracts are not honored.

Vancouver's problem isn't fitting under the cap - it's fitting enough salary cap space to sign that extra player to put them over the top. If the buyout rule is only for those teams above the cap, then Vancouver has no worries. If it's for all teams, and they can re-sign the players, we'll likely buy out Jovanovski and Bertuzzi, re-signing them to smaller contracts.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I guess the Kings will want to buy out Aaron Miller but probably not Mattias Norstrom.

I wonder if the Kings will turn around after signing Craig Conroy to a (relatively) big contract before the lockout and buy him out.

Last edited:

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
For the Sens: Smolinski and de Vries. I could see them buying out Smolinski, but I think they will keep de Vries signed at this point, unless there is a UFA who Muckler really, really wants.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
kmad said:
If it's for all teams, and they can re-sign the players, we'll likely buy out Jovanovski and Bertuzzi, re-signing them to smaller contracts.

Note that it says if you buy out a player you can't re-sign them, to prevent exactly what you are suggesting.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Steadfast said:
Note that it says if you buy out a player you can't re-sign them, to prevent exactly what you are suggesting.

Then I don't know of any players Vancouver would want to buy out. All the players we're slightly overpaying are key cogs we can't lose.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Yashin is the only one I can see the Isles considering. There aren't many Islanders under contract for next season and certainly none that are ridiculously overpaid.

SedinFan*

kmad said:
Malik's contract is already up, and May's will be up as well if 2004/05 contracts are not honored.

Vancouver's problem isn't fitting under the cap - it's fitting enough salary cap space to sign that extra player to put them over the top. If the buyout rule is only for those teams above the cap, then Vancouver has no worries. If it's for all teams, and they can re-sign the players, we'll likely buy out Jovanovski and Bertuzzi, re-signing them to smaller contracts.

I'm assuming right now that they will be honoured, that's why I included Malik and May. If you buyout a player (according to Brooks) you can't re-sign that player.

SedinFan*

kmad said:
Then I don't know of any players Vancouver would want to buy out. All the players we're slightly overpaying are key cogs we can't lose.

It's true, however to trim some salary, if contracts are honoured, you can get rid of Malik and May, slashing the teams payroll somewhere in the 2.3-5 million dollar range.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Steadfast said:
kmad, I agree regarding the Canucks.

As for Yashin, what would the buyout be? 2/3 of $50 million or so? :amazed:

I think he's got 5 years left. After the roll back he's looking at about $7.4/season. So that works out to $37. Two thirds of that is about $25m.

As long as I'm understanding this correctly.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Steadfast said:
kmad, I agree regarding the Canucks.

As for Yashin, what would the buyout be? 2/3 of $50 million or so? :amazed:
Sept. 5, 2001:Yashin signed a 10-year, $87-million contract.
Yashin is due to make $39.7M after rollback over the next 6 years ($6.6M per year)

It would cost the Islanders $26.6M to buy him out.

It will cost the Islanders $13.2M or $2.2M per year more to keep Yashin.

Last edited:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Komisarek8 said:
Brisebois and Rivet won't get bought out.

Rivet, possibly not.

Either buy out Brisebois at the 1 mil option we have or pay him $4.5 million. Paying him that would be nothing short of idiotic, especially in a cap world.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Levitate said:

Kasp wont get bought out. He helps the younger guys behind the scenes from what I heard. Plus hes our #1 dman now so 3.2 million or whatever isnt bad. I dont see Jagr getting bought out because they still want to sell tickets at MSG. Holik I can easily see beeing the one bought out. His OUTRAGEOUS salary is not what we need with a Cap.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
For the Avs, if they aren't retainable I say Konowalchuk and Lapierre. Frees up the most cash out of the supporting cast.

If the players can be retained, Sakic and Blake.

The reason tamp and Calgary haven't had a high salary yet is because their success is relatively recent. It would have caught up eventualy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->