Potential Blues whipping boys for 13-14?

illninofan*

Who do you think will garner the most heat this season?

For me, Leopold looks to be a prime candidate and there's already a good deal of hate on Paajarvi and the season hasn't started.

What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

illninofan*

Do Cup-winning teams have whipping boys? If they do I think no one remembers them as such.

That's the point. If we win the cup, no one will remember the criticism certain players get, but that doesn't mean that certain players won't get hated on during the season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hitch, Morrow, and Leopold are the obvious easy choices. Half the fanbase will hate one goalie and the other half will hate the other.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Halak AINEC

I give it a week tops before people start complaining that he's too injury prone or doesn't care enough or something else along those lines.

illninofan*

Hitch, Morrow, and Leopold are the obvious easy choices. Half the fanbase will hate one goalie and the other half will hate the other.

Don't forget the Allen faction. One which I'm admittedly already partial to.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
I'm against "whipping boys" as a general concept... I think its just a way for un knowledgable fans to blame their teams weaknesses on one or two players/coaches that never really deserve it.

That being said it seems like for whatever reason our fan base hates Jackman. It seems that many are fed up with Halak.

Hitch will be blamed for the lack of scoring no matter what if there is one. Former Perron fans will get angry with MPS if he doesn't start strong.

I feel like Leopold could be a "Whipping Boy" in a similar way to how Brewer was in the way Eric Brewer was because certain fans started their hatred of them because they didn't like the trade in which the blues acquired them, then neither played their best to begin with, so fans started hating them.. But if you actually watched with an open mind Eric brewer was a very solid player in his last year in STL and I think unfortunetly Leopold could already be in that boat if he starts off ever a little slow.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I'm against "whipping boys" as a general concept... I think its just a way for un knowledgable fans to blame their teams weaknesses on one or two players/coaches that never really deserve it.

That being said it seems like for whatever reason our fan base hates Jackman. It seems that many are fed up with Halak.

Hitch will be blamed for the lack of scoring no matter what if there is one. Former Perron fans will get angry with MPS if he doesn't start strong.

I feel like Leopold could be a "Whipping Boy" in a similar way to how Brewer was in the way Eric Brewer was because certain fans started their hatred of them because they didn't like the trade in which the blues acquired them, then neither played their best to begin with, so fans started hating them.. But if you actually watched with an open mind Eric brewer was a very solid player in his last year in STL and I think unfortunetly Leopold could already be in that boat if he starts off ever a little slow.

I think most of the guys here don't have much of a problem with Jax other than his boneheaded passes sometimes. The casual fanbase absolutely loathes Jax because he isn't flashy or throw out big hits, I think they can't just grasp the idea of a shutdown defensemen that blocks a bunch of shots is a very important role on the team. Guy also plays through ANYTHING.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I think most of the guys here don't have much of a problem with Jax other than his boneheaded passes sometimes. The casual fanbase absolutely loathes Jax because he isn't flashy or throw out big hits, I think they can't just grasp the idea of a shutdown defensemen that blocks a bunch of shots is a very important role on the team. Guy also plays through ANYTHING.

Truth. The Blues' Facebook page made a post about the Blues assigning Porter to Chicago and I saw 5 comments out of a total of about 40 that said something about getting rid of Jackman, on a post that had absolutely nothing to do with Jackman. It pains me to read the comments on Facebook sometimes(most of the time).

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo
Truth. The Blues' Facebook page made a post about the Blues assigning Porter to Chicago and I saw 5 comments out of a total of about 40 that said something about getting rid of Jackman, on a post that had absolutely nothing to do with Jackman. It pains me to read the comments on Facebook sometimes(most of the time).

You got me interested in what people were saying on Facebook so I had to see for my self... The Jackman comments are embarrassing. Also the amount of comments about how porter doesn't score enough is hilarious people don't understand what it means to be a scrappy 4th liner.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo

Agreed, Jackman is a warrior that gets the most out of his ability/body. Sure he isn't as physically impressive as Polak or as gifted as Petro, but he plays his role very well, takes a beating and doesn't complain.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Not saying we are as dumb as a lot of those facebook warriors but are we really that much better?!
I mean in the last few months there has been overreactions about freakin anything and everyone.

It's amazing that a team as good as ours has already Cole, Halak and Leopold as whipping-boys with MPS or even Morrow and Roy next.

or talk about Army. guy has done all the big jobs just great:

-getting a guy for Petro
-getting a playmaking center
-signed Petro longterm

and still he gets boat-loads of criticism for a dollar here, a personal decision there as if it would be that easy to get WHO you want for WHAT we want.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Not saying we are as dumb as a lot of those facebook warriors but are we really that much better?!
I mean in the last few months there has been overreactions about freakin anything and everyone.

It's amazing that a team as good as ours has already Cole, Halak and Leopold as whipping-boys with MPS or even Morrow and Roy next.

-getting a guy for Petro
-signed Petro longterm

and still he gets boat-loads of criticism for a dollar here, a personal decision there as if it would be that easy to get WHO you want for WHAT we want.

I think there is just sour taste in everyone's mouth still from last year's disappointing first round exit after having a 2-0 advantage.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We always have a lot of debbie-downers that like to complain about anything and everything. It's kind of understandable considering everything we have been through being Blues fans, but some go a bit overboard.

We shouldn't have any whipping boys. The only thing that will hold us back this season is injuries or players not buying in. Since we actually had a training camp this season and the players already experienced the high expectations at the start last season, I think only injuries will hold us back.

Thekidline

Aug 9, 2010
Saint Louis Mo

-getting a guy for Petro
-signed Petro longterm

I can't speak for others but personally I have never really disagreed with the decisions army has made and I am a huge fan of his. The only one I was skeptical about was when he traded away brewer I thought he could have gotten more in return, at the same time our defense looks great now and brewer is unneeded. I thought he did great this off season, and has done a great job his entire time here in STL. The Roy move was very smart imo and I love that he doesn't seem to chase the high profile free agents like Ribero. He also has made a lot of smaller moves that aren't talked about as much that have been really impressive. (EX: the Sobotka trade)

I do agree that I think many of the complaints and overreactions that followed the end of this past year were pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. Especially people who basically wanted to completely change the entire team and coaching staff just for a scorer or 2.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Hide yo forwards, hide yo D, and hide your goalies cuz we scape goatin' errybody round here.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: hahaha I love it. thats the way some fans are in STL which is sad.

Pretty much. I still think we have a respectef and respectful fanbase around HF, we just became way too sensitive.

but to answer the OP I think Leo will be the new Jackman and MPS the new Perron. with a slight difference: one was frustrating to watch and the other will be frustrating not to watch.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I hate to burst your guys' bubble but every fanbase has whipping boys. Acting like it's just Blues fans that overreact is literally the farthest thing from the truth.

Anyways, Leopold may be the best thing to happen to Cole in terms of being the whipping boy, lol.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

-getting a guy for Petro
-signed Petro longterm

Way to early to give Armstrong a free pass. We traded for JBow and Leopold and still lost in the first round.

Looking at the roster is pretty pointless as results in the playoffs are what matter most. We did worse last season then we did the season before that is a fact.

I personally was not much of a fan of the Roy signing of getting MPS in the trade. I thought Shattenkirk and Stewart's contracts were not very good. I saw Russel as being just effective and a cheaper option than Leopold. Morrow signing i didn't see much point to but if MPS has been that bad in camp ect I understand Morrow is most likely an upgrade over him.

It's a message board we discuss our opinions.

Right now i'm ready to put my opinions of the offseason moves aside now. If we win, then I will be proven wrong in my opinion. If we are one and done in the playoffs again I think Armstrong will have failed this offseason.

I think if we finish lower than 2nd in our division it will have been a disappointing season.

I personally feel like anything less than a conference finals appearance will be a failed offseason for Armstrong now.

This is his team his coach and we are a cap team this season. No excuses now if we don't get results.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I hate to burst your guys' bubble but every fanbase has whipping boys. Acting like it's just Blues fans that overreact is literally the farthest thing from the truth.

Anyways, Leopold may be the best thing to happen to Cole in terms of being the whipping boy, lol.

yeah, for sure. it's part of the game. I just think we are to good to have 6, 7 or even more guys who fit that bill.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

Had nothing to do with the trade....Brewer was absolutely terrible, until his last season. There is no way any human being could be his defensive partner, because you never knew what Brewer was going to do other than not play his position.

Stewart is the perennial whipping boy on the boards. MPS looks to be Hitch's whipping boy. Not a 10 year veteran...definite whipping boy material. I look for Hitch to take a beating on the boards this year, when the team starts underachieving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->