Potential Atlanta NHL Expansion Team Thread

PredsfanJC

Feb 13, 2021
East Cobb, GA
The team needs to be the Atlanta Thrashers because:
  • Its a great name, its the state bird
  • Renaming the team this soon is a bad idea, you already have a core fanbase that relates to the team name and mascot.
  • The logo needs to be the original Thrasher, but the Atlanta Flames A needs to be incorporated into the new jersey somehow. In other words, be the Thrashers, but rebranded to include the Atlanta Flames A, just like Calgary does on their alternate captains jerseys.
  • You would never rename the Atlanta Braves the Georgia Braves, the A is too iconic.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
That's the only name I'd like less than Atlanta Thrashers. North Atlanta is still Atlanta, generically speaking, so there's no value in being beholden to hypertechnical geography. They're not now the Georgia Braves, for example, because they play in Cobb County outside Atlanta city limits.

Not to be a stickler, but their address is 800 Battery Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30339. Until Cumberland incorporates, that will be their address.

I am in the same boat in 30340, across from 285. Until Doraville incorporates my neighborhood, which they likely never will since we're now a historic district and will fight it tooth and nail, I get to say I am in Atlanta, because my address says that.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
  • Renaming the team this soon is a bad idea, you already have a core fanbase that relates to the team name and mascot.

This is the biggest factor. We're (almost) 13 years removed. There are still people that can't vote that remember going to Thrashers games. You'd be a fool to waste that nostalgia/brand identity.

Look no further than Thrashers nights @ Gladiators games. They've sold out both. Why? People still love the Thrashers. When they did the Flames throwbacks in 2015, they barely sold 4,000 tickets.

Reactions: PredsfanJC

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The team needs to be the Atlanta Thrashers because:
  • Its a great name, its the state bird
  • The logo needs to be the original Thrasher, but the Atlanta Flames A needs to be incorporated into the new jersey somehow. In other words, be the Thrashers, but rebranded to include the Atlanta Flames A, just like Calgary does on their alternate captains jerseys.
  • You would never rename the Atlanta Braves the Georgia Braves, the A is too iconic.

Calgary Flames aren't going to let you have the flaming "A" - they've been using it for too long themselves.

I wonder how much the Atlanta Flames would even really resonate anymore. They left town 44 years ago, so anyone with actual living memories of the team has to be in their 50s-60s at a minimum.

I suspect you're right the Thrashers name might have some positive vibes in that market, but it'll be up to any new owner to make that call. If you spend that kind of money on a team you might just want to decide on your own name and not get stuck with Ted Turner's leftovers.

Reactions: PredsfanJC

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Years ago the Hawks had a City Connect alternate jersey called "Peachtree". It's one of the best jerseys I've ever seen in sports and it would make for an incredible color scheme for a team. Black, white, peach. You could call them the Georgia Peaches.

Attachments

• 65ee379d90a45f05abb05e27_61481856cec734546d3c5ce9_Tantrum_Hawks20City%20Edition_001.jpeg
    65ee379d90a45f05abb05e27_61481856cec734546d3c5ce9_Tantrum_Hawks20City%20Edition_001.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
I don't even like the Falcons, and barely follow NFL prospects, and even I have to wonder what the hell they were thinking lol.

I had to leave the NFL draft thread in the other forum on here after that pick out of embarrassment. It's like when your brother does something so embarrassing and you catch the humiliation by association. Lol.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
If you ever get the 30-for-30 made, I think it should be titled something like "$eptocluster™: Tentacles of a Sporting Disaster."

If they were the Chiefs, then "Too Many Chefs" would be a great title.

My opinion is, the "Thrashers" name is cursed. The team needs a bona fide fresh start, and the first step in that process is a new name.

Strong disagree for same reasons I said in the Coyotes thread. You have die-hards who want the Thrashers back. You don't have to "win them over" if it's the Thrashers.

I do think that a tweak would be fine, like the Jets 2.0 did. (I also long thought they should have gone with UGA Red and Ga Tech gold in their scheme, combining the two fan bases a little bit.).

As I've said many times, I was a staunch ITPer. But it's absurd to imagine that the 49ers have no problem being the "San Francisco 49ers" in Santa Clara or that both the Jets & Giants play in New Jersey, then make the leap that someone would have trouble naming an Alpharetta team "Atlanta."

It comes down to if the primary hockey audience in the area identifies with "Georgia" more than "Atlanta" or vice-versa. Neither would be sacrosanct.

You're absolutely right, but at the end of the day, it's "follow the money" -- The people providing the money for the facility are the ones deciding if Atlanta or Phoenix or Salt Lake (or Buffalo or Anaheim) is okay or not.

Glendale said "No Phoenix" to the Coyotes.
Utah said "No Salt Lake" to the MLB expansion attempt and may have to Smith (not sure if that's in the bill they passed, but he's definitely on the "don't bite the hand that feeds you" path).

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is a stupid name. But that was the deal to get hundreds of millions to renovate the stadium.

Calgary Flames aren't going to let you have the flaming "A" - they've been using it for too long themselves.

Agreed, but the Thrashers wouldn't need the A to be ON FIRE. There could be some dialogue there.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Strong disagree for same reasons I said in the Coyotes thread. You have die-hards who want the Thrashers back. You don't have to "win them over" if it's the Thrashers.
That's why it's prefaced with "my opinion", and not "my business sense says". From a business standpoint, calling the new team "the Thrashers" makes perfect sense because it capitalizes on the nostalgia some have and it's a unique branding that isn't being used elsewhere.

One will come to find, perhaps surprisingly, that my opinions differ from what I feel is the right business decision.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
That's why it's prefaced with "my opinion", and not "my business sense says". From a business standpoint, calling the new team "the Thrashers" makes perfect sense because it capitalizes on the nostalgia some have and it's a unique branding that isn't being used elsewhere.

One will come to find, perhaps surprisingly, that my opinions differ from what I feel is the right business decision.

I'm fully on board with acknowledging that opinion may not follow business practice, and that "counter-intuitive" things exist, and just the sheer volume of variables make decisions convoluted. And even that how people FEEL is valid, (I.E. - "I don't care if it doesn't make sense to put a team in Quebec, put a team in Quebec!" or "Save the Oakland A's").

But this is one I just can't get behind. Like if you just said "I never liked Thrashers, so I'd like to see something new/different" that's totally just preference/opinion. Which is fine. I can't argue with "I think Thrashers is stupid" and you can't argue with "But I like it."

It was the the "brand is cursed" and "a fresh start is needed" that I felt compelled to argue, because those aren't preferences, but the actual business practice arguments.

Anyhow. Moving on.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
It was the the "brand is cursed" and "a fresh start is needed" that I felt compelled to argue, because those aren't preferences, but the actual business practice arguments.
To add another layer of business here, this would also be why someone who would be a team owner would conduct research and have advisors. For all I know, Krause, Carter, or any of the other mystery unnamed groups trying to bring a team back here also didn't like the name, but those market researchers and advisors say the team should return as the Thrashers simply because it's a name the market prefers. We already know market research firms were involved in determining the best possible locations for a NHL arena in the market. It's just as likely those same firms asked folks about branding.

The fact is, you made an assumption. So, let me be clear: My opinion is just that. An opinion. It's not "a business practice argument" or anything else.

I make a conscious effort to not assume stuff. Pay me the same kindness. Hopefully this clears that up.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
To add another layer of business here, this would also be why someone who would be a team owner would conduct research and have advisors. For all I know, Krause, Carter, or any of the other mystery unnamed groups trying to bring a team back here also didn't like the name, but those market researchers and advisors say the team should return as the Thrashers simply because it's a name the market prefers. We already know market research firms were involved in determining the best possible locations for a NHL arena in the market. It's just as likely those same firms asked folks about branding.

The thing about pro sports is it's inherently an emotional investment. There's a reason you don't see, I dunno, Apple, or Walmart, investing in sports franchises - it's not a great investment from a purely rational point of view. That's why you see billionaires invest personally.

The reason Bill Foley named his hockey team the Golden Knights had nothing to do with market research - it was because he was a West Point graduate, and their team is the Black Knights. He made it work for them, but it was a personal decision of the owner. Ownership in Seattle did go with the name Kraken because it was popular on social media - but it couldn't have hurt that one of the owners, Jerry Bruckheimer, was the producer behind the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Or Seattle is saying they'll put the name up to a fan vote, bracket-style. Even there though - ownership has pre-selected the 8 names they start with, and there' still lots of opportunity to massage the numbers as it goes (please no politics talk - an internet poll is completely different from an actual election)./

So you're probably right - from a purely marketing reason the name Thrashers would probably be best - you have potential new customers who literally grew up with the Thrashers name.

I very much doubt however that Krause, Carter, or whomever wont' have a heavy say in what the name is going to be.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
The thing about pro sports is it's inherently an emotional investment. There's a reason you don't see, I dunno, Apple, or Walmart, investing in sports franchises - it's not a great investment from a purely rational point of view. That's why you see billionaires invest personally.

The reason Bill Foley named his hockey team the Golden Knights had nothing to do with market research - it was because he was a West Point graduate, and their team is the Black Knights. He made it work for them, but it was a personal decision of the owner. Ownership in Seattle did go with the name Kraken because it was popular on social media - but it couldn't have hurt that one of the owners, Jerry Bruckheimer, was the producer behind the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Or Seattle is saying they'll put the name up to a fan vote, bracket-style. Even there though - ownership has pre-selected the 8 names they start with, and there' still lots of opportunity to massage the numbers as it goes (please no politics talk - an internet poll is completely different from an actual election)./

So you're probably right - from a purely marketing reason the name Thrashers would probably be best - you have potential new customers who literally grew up with the Thrashers name.

I very much doubt however that Krause, Carter, or whomever wont' have a heavy say in what the name is going to be.

I can't be bothered to source this because it was mentioned in this thread but Krause picked his location because it was in the middle of the former Thrashers season ticket holders heat map, similarly to how the Braves picked The Battery. He's putting his arena in the middle of his existing customer base so of course he's going to bring back the brand they paid to see years again.

Let's be honest, they could be called the Atlanta Asshats, we're still going to show up to root for them.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The "Atlanta Asshats" can be a minor league affiliate for the "Atlanta Traffic". I feel like there's a lot of marketing potential with that name!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hey, that's why minor league baseball team names keep getting wilder and wilder! "Oh, that's ridiculous yet awesome, I'm buy some merch."
depends on whether Diamond Baseball Holdings is a 'monopoly' AS an ownership.... Kev.... that just added Binghamton AFTER adding POR/WOR in the offseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad