Rumor: Potential 24 team PO system

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Anyone see This?

Wow, we would be only 1 of 2 teams already KNOWING who our 2nd round matchup would be.
CALGARY
Not a good matchup, but would be SUPER EXCITING!
AND.......we would also KNOW what team we would face in the 3rd round.
BOSTON.......NOW, wouldn't that be something! Like the good ole days!

Honestly, amazing how they were able tò figure out a way to make a PO system with an odd # of teams, other than original format.

At least it would be fair, whereas how would it be fair to exclude Columbus and allow the Islanders to be in? Rangers would be shafted as well, especially since we have games in hand to overtake teams above us.
Just wouldn't be right, this way.......much fairer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZiGOODejad

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Playoffs baby! But seriously, when? How late can they finish this year's playoffs without impacting the start of next season?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
if i were king ...

24 team playin could be interesting
I'd have
(1)Bottom 7 teams season over

(2) the 6 potential WCs seeded by point% within conference, then
(2a) play best 2 of 3.
(2b) To eliminate 1 winner, 3 winners play double round robin (each gets home game and road game against each other)

While those 6/7 games for each WC team occur ,
To get back in game shape,
(3)the 6 Bye teams play 4 games, in Conference, which would-contribute to playoff seeding
1st place teams host each 2d place team, visit each 3rd place team
2d place teams hosts 3d place teams

The go into standard 4 round tournament, perhaps 1st round 2 of 3

I believe that would have East early matchups as
Canes-Habs, Isles-Panthers, NyR- CBJ
(Isles have better pts/g than CBJ)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Which was also something I wanted to discuss. Teams getting that initial bye may be at a distinct disadvantage as opposing teams will already have their game legs.
Survivors of the 2nd round (that didnt play in the 1st round) should have some kind of advantage come 3rd round. IMHO. Anyway, fun to think and talk about. Hope people share their input. We seem to have a little time on our collective hands.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I kinda like the "f*** the conferences, lets just mix it up" approach. Could wind up with some once-in-a-lifetime playoff matchups that would never be seen outside of NHL Finals (CGY/NYR, for example).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Any journo that puts 'KHL's best journalist award winner' in his bio is a knob. I'm still waiting for Kovy to play for us.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Anyone see This?

Wow, we would be only 1 of 2 teams already KNOWING who our 2nd round matchup would be.
CALGARY
Not a good matchup, but would be SUPER EXCITING!
AND.......we would also KNOW what team we would face in the 3rd round.
BOSTON.......NOW, wouldn't that be something! Like the good ole days!

Honestly, amazing how they were able tò figure out a way to make a PO system with an odd # of teams, other than original format.

At least it would be fair, whereas how would it be fair to exclude Columbus and allow the Islanders to be in? Rangers would be shafted as well, especially since we have games in hand to overtake teams above us.
Just wouldn't be right, this way.......much fairer.

seems like a random fan's idea

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I literally read an article this morning about a call the League had with all the GMs just the other day. They discussed a whole bunch of possible playoffs scenarios but nothing received any serious consideration. There's no "planned" option out there since they have no idea when they'll be back.

Article also mentioned that they haven't discussed a drop-dead date yet, but the teams and NHLPA all have some idea internally of when that would be.

LeBrun: Inside the NHL's conference call with GMs and what...

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Friedman has talked about this. All options will be on the table. Remember, when/if the NHL comes back from this any plan with the potential to score some quick revenue boosts is going to look very attractive to a league that just went without gate revenues for months possibly... especially if they can engineer a way to get big market teams like the Rangers and the Blackhawks in the mix.

Reactions: 1C

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think a more logical bracket is 12 teams from each conference. Best of three with bottom 16 teams (Rangers-Islanders??) Best of 5 in next 2 rounds and Best of 7 in Conference Finals and Final. 7-8 weeks.

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Your linked tweet has absolutely nothing to do with the rumor

The tweet you linked with that graphic is made by a random fan with no basis

Reactions: egelband

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Eliminate Detroit; guarantee them first overall. Cobble standings combining all teams.

Then, teams 17-30 play a 5-game series (1-2-2).

Surviving teams play 10-16 in a 5-game series.

Winners of playouts play teams 1-9 in traditional playoffs. For additional revenue, during playouts teams 1-9 can play against each other to determine seeding.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can you imagine the complaining if a team ranked 17-24 wins the Cup? There will be complaints how "it's not a real Stanley Cup win" and there will always be an asterisk next to it.

Just cancel the season and be done with it. Let them start over in October. We can survive a few months without sports. Read a book, talk to your wife, play some boardgames with your kids, spoil your dog/cat with your presence at home these upcoming weeks.

Reactions: Morten

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
What if they cancel the season, start season for October, and then find out that they have to close down again because the virus is back?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm of the opinion that we're done. There are just too many questions and variables and certainly questions about safety that aren't likely to go away anytime soon. Logistically it would be too risky to fly commercial--then there is food, accomodation, outbreaks in certain areas or regions, the possibility that the virus goes through this team or another. Even thinking about playing rounds of 7 game series seems to me right now to be asking way too much considering the current circumstances.

Any case if I were even to think about this I'd play it entirely in one location and bring in the top 8 teams---and let them play best of 3 series and have it over within a month. There wouldn't be any flying all over the United States and Canada. Everything would be sequestered and locked down including support staff and whatever media. Everyone would always remain on site until it was over with exception of losing teams could leave after they were knocked out. Once off the premises you're not getting back in.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Can you imagine the complaining if a team ranked 17-24 wins the Cup? There will be complaints how "it's not a real Stanley Cup win" and there will always be an asterisk next to it.

Just cancel the season and be done with it. Let them start over in October. We can survive a few months without sports. Read a book, talk to your wife, play some boardgames with your kids, spoil your dog/cat with your presence at home these upcoming weeks.

Wtf no

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Great ideas if;
....Read a book......if it didn't hurt my eyes and made me very sleepy.
.....Talk to my Wife...if I had one, maybe
......Boardgames w/kids.........no children
......Spoil dog w/presence.........absolutely do that already!

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

Who cares? If you're good enough to win a 24 team playoff you've earned it on the ice and get your name engraved. I can't imagine anyone caring about some people grumbling online.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who cares? If you're good enough to win a 24 team playoff you've earned it on the ice and get your name engraved. I can't imagine anyone caring about some people grumbling online.

You just completely destroyed the purpose of HF Boards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->