Post-Game Talk: Postseason thread

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jesus Christ the supporting cast of ours. See that goal dallas’s D Heiskanen scored? Not one of our D can make a shot like that. Instead we got Sekera missing wide in OT and hitting shins all night. Heck I don’t even think our wingers could place a shot like Heiskanen did tonight. The Oilers offensively inept D core is the reason why a team like Dallas is a playoff team and why we are not. Chia had 4 years to find one good shooter on this team and found nothing.

Don’t know why this game hurts so much, maybe cause going into the 2nd it seemed like a guaranteed win with McDrai flying and Dallas on fumes. Then the Oilers Oiler’d and became the untalented hacks that they are.
Thought when all of our D came back that we'd be okay? Or so I heard you say. Now, you're trashing them, lol.

Reactions: harpoon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So, I wonder what our chances of making the dance are now? Has to be about as close to zero as you can get.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So, I wonder what our chances of making the dance are now? Has to be about as close to zero as you can get.

Well, Colorado plays Arizona tonight, and someone gets 2 pts in that game. If AV's win it that puts them 8pts ahead and thus one later game result would mathematically eliminate the Oilers which could take place as early as Saturday. I guess its considered a plus in Oiler circles for mathematical elimination to not occur on "Fan Appreciation Day" this year. Also good of the team not to announce STH ticket increases on this date..

About as much as one can expect with this org.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thought when all of our D came back that we'd be okay? Or so I heard you say. Now, you're trashing them, lol.

There has to be a fault other than Koskinen who is sporting pretty ordinary stats which have only gotten worse as the season progressed. His splits in the last 4 months of the season are really bad. He's had basically one month where he was really good and grossly distorts his stats. Otherwise he's around +3GA and .895save%.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Koskinen ever since that really hot streak has not been a reliable goal tender. Sure the numbers might work out to be OK, but that guy has a lot of flaws. The first Dallas goal I thought was entirely stoppable but he was sllllloooooooowwwwwww getting across the net, then in the shootout he gives up massive holes every time, his glove is a weakness... I dunno if the guy is salvageable or not. I'd rather a consistent goalie than a guy prone to giving up so many softies.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Koskinen ever since that really hot streak has not been a reliable goal tender. Sure the numbers might work out to be OK, but that guy has a lot of flaws. The first Dallas goal I thought was entirely stoppable but he was sllllloooooooowwwwwww getting across the net, then in the shootout he gives up massive holes every time, his glove is a weakness... I dunno if the guy is salvageable or not. I'd rather a consistent goalie than a guy prone to giving up so many softies.
Agreed. Khudobin is a backup and I’d trade Kos straight across no problem. When I look around the league and compare starters I put ours in the bottom 5. I realize our team D is also to blame but if goalies are supposed to give you ‘a chance to win’ or ‘steal a game’ or ‘make the timely save’ I’m not seeing it. We’ve all seen good gloves on this team, Fuhr, Ranford, Cujo and Roloson all carried this franchise to success. Kos will never be in this bunch.

Reactions: Beerfish

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Think I'll have some Lowe cal Mac n cheese for supper. To signify missing the playoffs 13 out of 14 or whatever that's at.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
But its not any new thing. Theres been around 70 games just like this, except if one ignores we somehow win some of them. I pay less attention to the W's and L's and instead look at the dynamic that there just is no scoring down the lineup. Even during the apparent ecstacy here of the Kings game with 8 goals its the same guys scoring 7 of them. I think THAT game was even more depressing from that standpoint. Its games like that which clarify what a high percentage of the scoring occurs by the 3 players in the lineup.

But as long as people are telling me Cave, Khaira, Brodz, Chiasson etc are "completely fine" we must be OK here with the roster..

Theres around 8 players on the team this year that are garbage.
Cave, Khaira, Brodz, Chiasson etc are "completely fine" on the 4th line

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Agreed. Khudobin is a backup and I’d trade Kos straight across no problem. When I look around the league and compare starters I put ours in the bottom 5. I realize our team D is also to blame but if goalies are supposed to give you ‘a chance to win’ or ‘steal a game’ or ‘make the timely save’ I’m not seeing it. We’ve all seen good gloves on this team, Fuhr, Ranford, Cujo and Roloson all carried this franchise to success. Kos will never be in this bunch.

I think our team Wingers are more to blame than our Team Defense.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Who is gonna start a blog on what we need in offseason? Can we get a few of these fellas?

Nyquist - expiring contract
Dzingel - expiring contract

Hoffman - he is getting close to 30. Kinda scared to get locked into a James Neal type deal
Any player over 30, I sign for 3 years max. No NMC or NTC at all.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tampa bays 4th line is

Adam Erne Cedric Paquette and Ryan Callahan. A 4th line is a 4th line. It’s our second and third lines that need an overhaul.
And Callahan is a former captain in the NHL. Paquette has some very good skills. Erne is a big banger that can skate. Paquette has 12 goals, and other 2 have 7. Decent production and helps that team every night. Our guys have about 5 goals combined (Chiasson has been playing top six minutes). Damned right it makes a difference.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Was another dumb Chia and co. move to give him a 3 year contract too early. He's only worth 3.00 million per based on his performance. I hope our next GM is more prudent and not so generous for the team and fan's sake. Team really needs another goalie.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Those goalies all had much better teams in front of them.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
You ever wonder why every goalie that has played here the last 10 years has sucked? Think about it.
The team has sucked since the Pronger trade. We also played the trap that year. Talbot had good numbers one year and the defence hasn’t changed since that year. There, I thought about it. Now tell me why the goalies heave sucked for 10 years.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

[mod] Like I said before and many many times, our D when healthy is barely average at the NHL level, but that's enough for Kosko to play up to starter quality like he has before and like he is again as predicted.

Last edited by a moderator:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I like Koskinen. That’s not the point. Everyone here saw you blaming his struggles on defense and ‘explaining’ how wonderful things would be once Klefbom returned. Not sure if you over rate Klefbom, Koskinen, or both. Regardless, @Stoneman89 was entirely accurate with his earlier post.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The team has sucked since the Pronger trade. We also played the trap that year. Talbot had good numbers one year and the defence hasn’t changed since that year. There, I thought about it. Now tell me why the goalies heave sucked for 10 years.

Eh, I'd say the true downfall was the Smyth trade and the subsequent shipping out of that 06 core in the offseason. We were in a playoff race in 07.

Reactions: MessierII

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I like Koskinen. That’s not the point. Everyone here saw you blaming his struggles on defense and ‘explaining’ how wonderful things would be once Klefbom returned. Not sure if you over rate Klefbom, Koskinen, or both. Regardless, @Stoneman89 was entirely accurate with his earlier post.
Statistically he has been decent to good since the defense has been healthy. He is 10-4-4 since Sekera returned with a .912 sv% and a 2.83 gaa. His problem has been consistency. When he is bad he is very bad.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Statistically he has been decent to good since the defense has been healthy. He is 10-4-4 since Sekera returned with a .912 sv% and a 2.83 gaa. His problem has been consistency. When he is bad he is very bad.
Again, I have tried to support Koskinen and find the 'frying pan' type posts to be both ridiculous and immature. The fact is however that he lets in a lot of bad goals, as you seem to acknowledge with the bold statement. He lets in bad angle goals that simply have nothing to do with the defense in front of him, and everything to do with his positioning in the crease. The notion that he would be 'consistently great' once Klefbom returned was/is indefensible. Being .912 is not great in this or any league. Its acceptable. I stand by my conclusion, based on his own posts, that the poster in question over rates both Koskinen and Klefbom. Neither of them is anything that special. As you point out it has been Sekera, not Klefbom, who has stabilized the d-corps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad