Post-Game Talk: Postseason thread

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Beating a dead horse here but it’s amazing how much he gets wrong every game. From players names to anecdotes to what he thinks he’s seeing in a game, even to who is doing colour some nights. The guy is a complete mess.

He is an appropriate fit for the Oilers.

He is fumbling, mistake prone, reality-challenged, and isn't very good at his job.

Just like Oiler management. That being said, I would keep him. At least he is upbeat.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
It's strange that it was Chiasson that had that happen to him considering he usually has one of the heavier, low shots amongst the forwards

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I hope Starrett can play next year. No way can I do 3 years of Koskinen. He’s awful in shootouts and I’d be curious to know how many goals he’s let in high glove. Every team shoots there, even if he does stop the odd one it’s rarely clean and bounces out or it’s a big wind mill like it’s the save of his life. 3 more years of this? We have no chance.

Reactions: imtheboy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope Starrett can play next year. No way can I do 3 years of Koskinen. He’s awful in shootouts and I’d be curious to know how many goals he’s let in high glove. Every team shoots there, even if he does stop the odd one it’s rarely clean and bounces out or it’s a big wind mill like it’s the save of his life. 3 more years of this? We have no chance.

In all fairness a lot of what Koskinen does wrong could be fixed over the summer quite easily.

With that being said I don't know if we have a smart enough goalie coach to work with him. I also don't know how Koskinen himself is as a person. Is he willing to sit and watch a lot of film and work on his positioning?

Reactions: Louis Cypher

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Jesus Christ the supporting cast of ours.

Imagine how bad we'd be if we didn't have a dynasty of draft lottery wins. The front office has done such a poor job it's unthinkable. Torch hockey ops to the ground and start fresh, there will never again be a group of execs that will fail as hard as ours have.

Reactions: imtheboy

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think Heiskanen is going to be a very special d-man. I do wonder how hard PHI and NJ looked at him at the draft.

Now I just need him traded to a Canadian market so those 5 rookie cards of his go up in value.

He is a dandy right now. Great wheels and as u seen, a great shot. Was he 3rd overall?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
In all fairness a lot of what Koskinen does wrong could be fixed over the summer quite easily.

With that being said I don't know if we have a smart enough goalie coach to work with him. I also don't know how Koskinen himself is as a person. Is he willing to sit and watch a lot of film and work on his positioning?
I like the optimism but frankly I don’t share it. I’m no goalie expert but Kos is 30 and his hands are sloooow. Another part of his game that drives me nuts is that he’s on his knees way too much. Even if it’s our D passing the puck back and forth behind our own net with no opposition in sight he’s sliding from side to side. Not a big deal most would say but his style just drives me nuts. He’s 6’7”, if he would stay on his feet and actually see where the puck is going instead of hoping it hits him in the butterfly that would be a start.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I like the optimism but frankly I don’t share it. I’m no goalie expert but Kos is 30 and his hands are sloooow. Another part of his game that drives me nuts is that he’s on his knees way too much. Even if it’s our D passing the puck back and forth behind our own net with no opposition in sight he’s sliding from side to side. Not a big deal most would say but his style just drives me nuts. He’s 6’7”, if he would stay on his feet and actually see where the puck is going instead of hoping it hits him in the butterfly that would be a start.

The Oilers really need a new goalie coach.

Reactions: harpoon and Cypress

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Well, I'll post now. I was determined not to rain on any parade and post about the last game which was meaningless and the results of which were predicated on the Kings not even showing up and the oilers playing against air and bad Quick. For as awful as our goaltending has been through the years Quick let in 5 goals in first period on 11SOG. Think about that. As much as people ranted about Talbot starts think about how often LA is seeing Quick completely crater in games and not even trying to look around a screen or make a play.

Anyway, last night one can actually comment on performance as two clubs were involved in the game and actually competing. I thought the Oilers played well, outplayed the Stars on the whole, and deserved probably better than they got. Stars are having trouble generating offense and this was the pattern against Calgary and has been much of the season. The Stars got nothing done offensively in Calgary and had zero EV goals and serious chances. Their two goals were PP goals. Benn and Seguin look just off to me. Quite clearly Radulov was the best player on the ice and he was all game.

Dallas are not a deep club but they play a better team game and are tighter than us. Their top line is much more experienced than us and playoff ready and benefit from that.

I thought Larsson probably had his best game of the season. Not sure where this Larsson has been hiding but he was really moving people and controlling them effectively. He seemed determined to win any battles he was in around the net. This was one of the better defensive efforts by the Oilers this season. Credit has to be given that Dallas really wanted this game and they are really in defensive form playing playoff hockey. This had every feel of a playoff game and it went to OT. I really enjoyed the game. I thought it was so much more intense than Tuesday night. I haven't given Sekera as much credit but its astounding how much better Benning looks with a composed vet D. Its pretty clear Benning is enjoying the assignment and feeling more time out there.

Not sure about the title of this thread or the reactivity. tbh I rarely understand the pulse of the board. The Oilers have realistically been out of the playoffs for weeks. So not sure why an OT loss at this point is having such a latent effect on the board.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Imagine how bad we'd be if we didn't have a dynasty of draft lottery wins. The front office has done such a poor job it's unthinkable. Torch hockey ops to the ground and start fresh, there will never again be a group of execs that will fail as hard as ours have.
If not for a lot of luck, we’d be discussing how Sam Bennett and Dylan Strome need to start finding some chemistry on the 2nd line to help out Nuge’s top line.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
This. Chaisson’s goals come from stationary play. He doesn’t have the speed for OT and what in the hell was that shot in the shootout?

Chiasson like I was saying at the time earlier in the season went on an out of his mind, out of his body run. Hockey is strange like that and sometimes dominos line up for you. The puck and chances fall on your stick sometimes. It was a Pisani streak, nothing more, and that was always pretty clear. Zach is a more talented player and I've often felt Zach does not use his skill enough. Now we're seeing it which is nice. Too bad its during a meaningless stretch of the season. We could have used something from Zach when he had 3pts in the first 40GP.

All totaled theres a bit of concern I have that the org may think it has some scoring down the lineup. The Kassian string here is actually disturbing. bEcause this org has been dumb enough before to think that lumps like Khaira will just pick up the scoring. Similarly you can't count on Chiasson, Kassian scoring goals going forward. You just can't.

We have 3 players on this club remotely capable of scoring with some consistency. They represent 52% of our total goals scored. They outlier Chiasson and Kassian segments just help distort that number and limit it. Realistically in this lineup Drai, McD, Nuge represent around 60% of the goals.

Heres a depressing thought about our forward scoring which pretty much tells all. After Kassian, who is the Oilers 6th highest forward scorer? Brodziak at 6 goals. On what has been an abysmal season for him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think Heiskanen is going to be a very special d-man. I do wonder how hard PHI and NJ looked at him at the draft.

Now I just need him traded to a Canadian market so those 5 rookie cards of his go up in value.

I think so too, althoguh I dont much about the player except what he showed last night. Defensively looked good too.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Not sure about the title of this thread or the reactivity. tbh I rarely understand the pulse of the board. The Oilers have realistically been out of the playoffs for weeks. So not sure why an OT loss at this point is having such a latent effect on the board.

To just address this part - it's because it was such a waste of an otherworldly performance from McDavid and Draisaitl. Sure, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make much difference, but for me (and I think most fans), you can't help but salivate at a satisfying win after McDavid and Draisaitl dominate like they did. Then the rest of the team completely lets them down...again. It just leaves a really bad taste in your mouth.

Plus it more or less finally confirms that the Oilers are done, done. Well done, not just medium rare.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
To just address this part - it's because it was such a waste of an otherworldly performance from McDavid and Draisaitl. Sure, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make much difference, but for me (and I think most fans), you can't help but salivate at a satisfying win after McDavid and Draisaitl dominate like they did. Then the rest of the team completely lets them down...again. It just leaves a really bad taste in your mouth.

Plus it more or less finally confirms that the Oilers are done, done. Well done, not just medium rare.

But its not any new thing. Theres been around 70 games just like this, except if one ignores we somehow win some of them. I pay less attention to the W's and L's and instead look at the dynamic that there just is no scoring down the lineup. Even during the apparent ecstacy here of the Kings game with 8 goals its the same guys scoring 7 of them. I think THAT game was even more depressing from that standpoint. Its games like that which clarify what a high percentage of the scoring occurs by the 3 players in the lineup.

But as long as people are telling me Cave, Khaira, Brodz, Chiasson etc are "completely fine" we must be OK here with the roster..

Theres around 8 players on the team this year that are garbage.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
But its not any new thing. Theres been around 70 games just like this, except if one ignores we somehow win some of them. I pay less attention to the W's and L's and instead look at the dynamic that there just is no scoring down the lineup. Even during the apparent ecstacy here of the Kings game with 8 goals its the same guys scoring 7 of them. I think THAT game was even more depressing from that standpoint. Its games like that which clarify what a high percentage of the scoring occurs by the 3 players in the lineup.

But as long as people are telling me Cave, Khaira, Brodz, Chiasson etc are "completely fine" we must be OK here with the roster..

Theres around 8 players on the team this year that are garbage.

Yeah bolded is the disconnect. For most of us, myself included, it still comes down to winning or losing the game in front of us. I agree longer term it's nothing new but man its just sour to see. McDavid and Draisaitl I'd also say only looked this dominant maybe 10-15 games this season. The Stars had no answer at all for them.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yeah bolded is the disconnect. For most of us, myself included, it still comes down to winning or losing the game in front of us. I agree longer term it's nothing new but man its just sour to see. McDavid and Draisaitl I'd also say only looked this dominant maybe 10-15 games this season. The Stars had no answer at all for them.

McDrai have looked this dominant about 30-40 times this season. Not sure how you figure that numer is as low as 10-15games.

I counter as well that the Stars had plenty answer for McDrai last night. Sure they got the two goals but were otherwise limited and were quite effectively played in the OT. Neither scored in shootout either.
This wasn't even in my top 30 McDrai games. Not slagging, just that they've been so good for such a majority of the season, that they've carried the ball even more than this, often.

In anycase wins and losses are so much distortion. The Oilers as a whole, played better last night than they did against LA, imo. They were playing a competing team last night, not one that is just looking at a high pick.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Nowhere in particular to post this but I can't stand journalistic inaccuracy. Jones is good for this

JONES: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins fine with being third banana on Edmonton Oilers

"Nugent-Hopkins will play his 534th NHL game Thursday against the Dallas Stars. He’s the longest serving member of the team, currently finishing up his seventh season with the club"

See if you can spot whats wrong with this information.

How can a media source thats been reporting on the team the whole time get that wrong?

Then this from coach Hitchcock;

"I know he’s been here a long time because he started so young. But he’s a young player in the league right now, a really young player.”

I guess you can repeat it multiple times but Nuge is not young, or "really young player" in hockey or NHL terms. In fact increasingly the league is taken over by younger forwards than Nugent Hopkins, who turns 26 in exactly 2 weeks.

Only to a coach that had the Dallas Dinosaurs out there for years would RNH appear young in NHL terms. This unfortunately is one indication of where the game is passing by Hitchcock. Its like he's not even aware of how startingly young todays impact forwards generally are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->