Postponed Games Thread

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Unless the Devils lied about the status of their players (and I haven't seen any evidence that they did) this is all on the league. It was 100% up to them whether the games were played and they allowed them to go on as scheduled.

Definitely mostly on the league since they're responsible for scheduling, but Vogl's tweet did say the Sabres asked for more information from both the league and the Devils and didn't get answers from either.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, I think we should put the pitchforks away for the time being.

If it's true the Sabres asked the Devils for more information concerning the players not in the lineup, and they refused to provide said information, then the pitchforks are back out, with torches.

Reactions: stealth1

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
1. And every other league has a forfeiture rule in place as well. What are you getting at?

2. No I mean investigate. I don't know why you assume the NHL would just sweep it under the rug when literally no other league has. If the NHL finds something wrong, they'll hand out the proper punishments.

Do you actually have proof protocol was broken?

1. If pro sports were serious about getting this under control, part of the punishment includes forfeiting games. And, BTW, this isn't the first Buffalo team that got jammed up by COVID; the Tennessee Titans, thanks to an outbreak on THAT team, were teetering on the edge of having their game against the Bills forfeited due to a LOT of players being out thanks to COVID protocols being flouted blatantly.

2. Why do I say that? Look how often the NHL stiffs Buffalo when it comes to punishing players who take liberties on our players, including this season. THAT's why.

2a. No. And even if the NHL does, watch and see how much punishment the Devils get. I'd guess slim to none.

Last edited:

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Definitely mostly on the league since they're responsible for scheduling, but Vogl's tweet did say the Sabres asked for more information from both the league and the Devils and didn't get answers from either.

If it's true the Sabres asked the Devils for more information concerning the players not in the lineup, and they refused to provide said information, then the pitchforks are back out, with torches.

What if the information that was given to them was all the information that was actually known? The Justin Turner situation in the World Series should be enough evidence that there can be a lag in the testing results.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
1. If pro sports were serious about getting this under control, part of the punishment includes forfeiting games. And, BTW, this isn't the first Buffalo team that got jammed up by COVID; the Tennessee Titans, thanks to an outbreak on THAT team, were teetering on the edge of having their games against the Bills forfeited due to a LOT of players being out thanks to COVID protocols being flouted blatantly.

2. Why do I say that? Look how often the NHL stiffs Buffalo when it comes to punishing players who take liberties on our players, including this season. THAT's why.

2a. No. And even if the NHL does, watch and see how much punishment the Devils get. I'd guess slim to none.

1. That's an entirely different argument, but there are a lot of obstacles in play that the league really doesn't have control of. Two of the biggest obstacles being the players and the owners.

2. I can't really comment on this.

2a. Well if they get fined and possibly lose draft picks, it's on par with what teams in other leagues have gotten. You can argue whether it's enough or not, but don't blame the NHL for not following precedent.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY

If I was on the Sabres, my attitude would be similar to that of Jon Moxley...who said this during a recent promo: "Just remember...I will get even. And THEN some." And quite frankly, I wouldn't care if I got fined and/or suspended by the NHL. I'd call it protecting my teammates, because the NHL and the Devils sure as hell didn't.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Mark Poloncarz, Erie County Comissioner where the Sabres Arena is located is now involved. He tweeted straight out that the NHL and New Jersey Devils put the community at risk, and his tone implied malice. If that is the case, the NHL and Devils did withhold information and force the scheduled games, that is beyond the pale given the seriousness of the impact Covid 19 has and it's unkown factors with individual cases.

This is really bad. And my first question, is this criminal, given the risk potential with covid?

Reactions: stealth1

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
That’s political grandstanding
Take a good look around the 2 largest nation's on the North American continent. They are currently running multiple population lockdown and protection protocols, and for good reason. My wife's sister, sister in law is a nurse at a covid hospital, she contracted back in May, permanent % of lung capacity loss. My sister, her husband and my 10 yr old nephew contracted in early December, his heart stopped in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, no pre-existing conditions, 53 yrs old, 22 days in the covid wing.

This isn't a virus to take lightly. Political Grandstanding? Time to wake up and see what is happening. Over 28 million reported infections in the US alone, that's 10% of the US population, and growing. This virus is killing, and it is serious for a portion of the population.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I'm asking you what information could the Devils possibly have omitted? The Sabres already knew that Zajac and Palmieri was out due to COVID protocols.

Did you miss the postings that suggested the Sabres asked the league and the Devils for information and were denied?

And don't you think that's disturbing if true?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Mark Poloncarz, Erie County Comissioner where the Sabres Arena is located is now involved. He tweeted straight out that the NHL and New Jersey Devils put the community at risk, and his tone implied malice. If that is the case, the NHL and Devils did withhold information and force the scheduled games, that is beyond the pale given the seriousness of the impact Covid 19 has and it's unkown factors with individual cases.

This is really bad. And my first question, is this criminal, given the risk potential with covid?

Nope. It isn't criminal at all.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The league should have shut the devils down on Friday. Instead they wait until Monday which causes the entire Devils franchise to be infected and for them to spread it to the Sabres. Good Job NHL, you're going to postpone or end up canceling way more games with this "eh screw it, let em play, maybe they won't infect their entire team and the opposing team" policy.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I mean if the league is the party that ultimately postpones games then it's on them... They postponed the Sabres games knowing that 2 players were going on the COVID protocol list. The Devils had 2 players on the list going into the weekend and then a 3rd right after the Saturday game. The Sunday game should've 100% not been played.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Serious question, I thought the taxi squad was set up for dealing with scenarios where a limited outbreak occurred?

If New Jersey only knew they had 2 infected players over the weekend, then couldn't it be justified that proceeding with playing was within reason, given the parameters set up by the league and players union?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Serious question, I thought the taxi squad was set up for dealing with scenarios where a limited outbreak occurred?

If New Jersey only knew they had 2 infected players over the weekend, then couldn't it be justified that proceeding with playing was within reason, given the parameters set up by the league and players union?

Maybe if there were adequate contract tracing in place and all the players/coaches/staff who'd been in close contact with the positive players had been excluded from the game. Or maybe if the league were using rapid testing (from what I read, it sounds like the NHL decided to forego speed to try to avoid false positives) and all the players who were in fact positive were recorded as such before the games and excluded from them.

With slow testing and either poor or non-existent contact tracing, you get: (1) what could and should have been a minor outbreak for NJ turning into a roster-decimating event; and (2) a second team experiencing an outbreak that shouldn't have had one at all.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Did you miss the postings that suggested the Sabres asked the league and the Devils for information and were denied?

And don't you think that's disturbing if true?

It said that they didn't know of the circumstances behind how Palmieri and Zajac ended up on the Covid-19 protocol. Under no circumstance does it state that the Sabres were unaware Zajac and Palmieri were out due to Covid.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It said that they didn't know of the circumstances behind how Palmieri and Zajac ended up on the Covid-19 protocol. Under no circumstance does it state that the Sabres were unaware Zajac and Palmieri were out due to Covid.

Nor do I believe I said they were. We do know that the Sabres asked the Devils and NHL for information, and were denied. What we do not know is what information that was. I'm concerned about the possibility of this being accurate, and what exact information the Sabres were denied. I was very clear about using the word "if," and specifying there were things we still did not know.

You seem to be focusing on the specific issue of the Sabres being informed about Zajac and Palmieri, not me.

Let it go. I just did.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Nor do I believe I said they were. We do know that the Sabres asked the Devils and NHL for information, and were denied. What we do not know is what information that was. I'm concerned about the possibility of this being accurate, and what exact information the Sabres were denied. I was very clear about using the word "if," and specifying there were things we still did not know.

You seem to be focusing on the specific issue of the Sabres being informed about Zajac and Palmieri, not me.

Let it go. I just did.

The only info the Devils are obliged to give is that Palmieri and Zajac were out due to Covid related issues. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad