Post-Game Talk: Postgame Wrap and 3 Stars : Game 4 MIN @ DET

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
8870AngryBert.jpg

Actual Thought*

This is a totally different team with Helm in the line-up.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Update on who we hate on the defense: Kindl.

Pretty solid effort by the team, new lines looked good, better game for Q, another solid one by Lashoff and Huskins, powerplay still needs work despite the 2 goals.

Helm and Bert gave the team a shot in the arm and allowed Babcock to split Z and Pav with more confidence. Sunday will be a huge test.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Muskins had a nice game. Q didn't humiliate himself, actually played well. Kronwall was Kronwall - 2 assists, 2 bad penalties, and some weak defense. The whole D actually blocked some shots and had better positioning. Mostly. Lookin' at you, Kronner.

Nice game for Bert but his goals were off his knee and a near-whiff knuckler bankshot on a perfect Datsyuk pass. They went in, so huzzah.

Brunner is legit.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, can we stop saying Kindl deserves playing time... I'm already biased against the guy, but seriously...

- Tootoo and Helm should never be separated
- Lashoff and Kronwall were rock solid again
- Huskins blocks shots. Hallelujah! Much needed.
- Top 6 still has elite potential, but how often will we see it THIS good?
- Smith and Quincey, surprising out there. Smith the better of the two.
- Cleary is... done apparently. Not good.
- Bertuzzi is more valuable than he gets credit for. Strong and can keep possession of the puck. Something this team really needs.
- Howard held them in the game long enough to wake up.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Update on who we hate on the defense: Kindl.

Pretty solid effort by the team, new lines looked good, better game for Q, another solid one by Lashoff and Huskins, powerplay still needs work despite the 2 goals.

Helm and Bert gave the team a shot in the arm and allowed Babcock to split Z and Pav with more confidence. Sunday will be a huge test.

Now we see what Q needed - someone even worse than him, the "ugly girl", if you will, to make him look more attractive.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Postitives:
LOVED seeing Abby Helm and Toots together. That line was ****ing ferocious.

Bert and Dats chemistry was apparent. Hope the big old warhorse stays healthy this year. Despite the **** he takes he adds a dimension to the top 6 we dont have in our lineup.

Franzen is competing hard, skating and battling.

Huskins is playing great simple hockey. Smith and Quincey were better. Kronwall is playing well.

Negatives:
Cleary is just god awful. Good knee now or not ... hes slow and weak and looks like the 45 year old token old boy on my rec league team. Trade his ass to some team that doesnt realize how muchhes regressed since 2011.

Zett is trying too hard out there ... tons of heart as usual, but I think he needs to simplify his game a little bit and not try and do too much himself. Better than the other end of the spectrum though (Franzen in 2 months).

Brunners defensive play is pretty gross (as we expected). Allot of 1 handed poke drive bys and hes pretty weak on his wall inthe d-zone. That said, hes 175 soaking wet ... id rather himstay healthy while adjusting to this NA game then throw on 10-15 lbs of clean mass this summer.

Not a perfect game by any stretch - but entertaining and especially nice to see the Thunder buddies get boo'd and lose. Would have made my year to see Parise get Kronwalled into next year.

**edit: and despite Smith being a strong skater carrying the puck up ice the kid needs to work on his 3 step quickness, backwards skating, and pivotting out there. He still looks like a big clydesdale horse out there sometimes.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Datsyuk and Bertuzzi got the stars, but Filppula being on that line is going to be key going forward. He's a guy who can skate and play puck possession, which opens up space for the other 2. I expect big things out of them, but Bert has to play solid all season long. At times he gets soft on the puck and plays too cute, which make him less effective. If he plays a subtle, simple game this year with two puck possession forwards on his line, his stat sheet will benefit.

p.s. I love Helm.

CloneHakanPlease*

Thoughts

-Helm and Tootoo were great. Tootoo needs more playing time
-I honestly feel like Emmerton has been solid this season given his role
- After looking kinda disinterested earlier this season, Datsyuk finally looked happy to be playing. Was a BEAST
-Bert looked surprisingly fast. Good to see him get some goals, maybe it will start him on a tear. Kinda a fluke first goal, and all Datsyuk second one but still good to see
-Brunner looks like a legit NHL player. I honestly never thought he'd be this good. 25 goal guy in a full season.
-Flip and Franzen hustled hard, played pretty well imo after a horrible first
-Huskins is solid. Want him to stay on as a permanent 5-6th.
-Quincy played better. Actually our whole D played pretty well. Kronwall was kinda ******, but he's always been inconsistent in his own zone
-Our team looks so much diffirent with Helm and D and Z centering different lines. Hopefully we stay like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I really like our top 6 right now, I really think we've undervalued the importance of Bertuzzi to this team. We all know Helm is important but Bert gives Datsyuk someone who's willing to crash and bang and create space for him, it's something nobody else gives us.

I'd really like to see Tatar be called up to replace Cleary on the 3rd line, he's just no longer effective. It's gonna be sad to say goodbye to him this offseason but he has served his time and its time for him to go. As for Tatar coming up I feel he offers a little more versatile to the team than Nyquist (atleast in a 3rd line role).

Kindl was the worst dman of the night, really looked out of place tonight. While Kindl was making some pretty big blunders I thought Quincey played an okay game, pretty technical sound and he was blocking some shots. It gave me some faith in him for his future.

HTT3*

I love TODD BERTUZZI

clap, clap
clap, clap, clap

TODD BERTUZZI

Holland knows what he's doing ... Bertuzzi > Nyquist.

22 is becoming my favorite bottom 6 player on the team, behind Helm!

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I went with Dats, Brunner, Huskins

Helm and Tootoo on a line together are terrific.

The Tootoo signing solved half of our teams problems. Last year there was no pulse, no drive. He brings that every shift.

If only Nick played 1 more year!

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Can we please not resign Cleary? I love Cleary as a person, but he literally adds nothing to this team as a player.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Cleary and Kindl are just awful. Lashoff and Huskins need to stay once Ericsson and White come back. Hopefully the six are Kronwall, Lashoff, Huskins, White, Ericsson, Quincey.

irishtemper

Jun 9, 2008
Am I the only one who thought Kindl played really well for his first game...he was knocking guys on their ***** most of the night, granted one or two of those resulted in a penalty but I thought he was way better than Quincy.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Am I the only one who thought Kindl played really well for his first game...he was knocking guys on their ***** most of the night, granted one or two of those resulted in a penalty but I thought he was way better than Quincy.

He was also a turnover machine

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Would like to see this.

Bert-Dats-Flip
Mule-Z-Brunner
Toots-Helm-Gator
Miller-Emmerton-Eaves/Cleary/Sammy

Kenny should see if he can unload Kindl, Cleary and Emmerton for a more legit 4th line center until Sheahan or Andersson are ready.

HTT3*

Kindl was rusty... you could tell he's "out of the loop" right now. He didn't mesh well overall. To be expected. Give him more time, it was one game...

AND

Who else thinks Brunner looks like a high-octane Dan Heatly? Seem like they could be similar type players.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Have we undervalued Bert or just hated his contract? Both? Bert has always been solid with Dats. Was good tonight.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I started drinking heavily after Minny tied it up, so my analysis isn't very complete, but I liked how the offense finally showed up.

Brunner looks like a gamer.

Z looked like a captain

Flippula needs to shoot the puck.

Quincey can go to hell.

Bert proved me wrong, atleast for one night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad