Post-Game Talk: Postgame and 3 Stars : 2/1/13 : STL @ DET

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
We must have been seeing two different plays then. There was definitely a notable time gap between Huskins passing the puck and getting clobbered.

Aaron Ward of TSN tweeted that there were between 10 and 14 frames between Huskins moving the puck and the hit, which translates to about half a second...So I wouldn't call it a late hit or a hit to the head.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The Backes hit was right after Huskins passed the puck. Those kind of hits happen all the time, basically every shift. It wasn't interference, and it wasn't a hit to the head. We got a gift and we took advantage of it.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Smith has been pretty good, but I'm still waiting to see his offensive abilities. I haven't really seen much yet.

I think he's reeled in the offensive chances he'd normally take after struggling the first couple of games. I've noticed a few times where he'd make a move with the puck that no other D on our team could make, but in general, he's playing it safe. Sucks that he's saddled with Q at ES, would rather have him with a stay at home type to free Smitty up a little on offense.

And the 2nd PP unit is a complete cluster... nothing they do works, and all of 5 of them seem to set the game of hockey back 15 years whenever they take the ice. I'm hoping they balance out the PP units more, which would give him more to work with.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
He looked much more threatening last year when he had his stint.

True. But I think he's trying to play a more well rounded game. Would love to see him paired with Big E so he can take more chances and be more offensive. I'm loving the way Big E is playing. Great passing out of the zone. Great on the PK and being very physical and smart.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
True. But I think he's trying to play a more well rounded game. Would love to see him paired with Big E so he can take more chances and be more offensive. I'm loving the way Big E is playing. Great passing out of the zone. Great on the PK and being very physical and smart.

I want E on the 2nd PP unit. Kindl and Smith are a complete trainwreck right along with
Cleary and somewhat Bertuzzi. Filppula is the only one of the 2nd PP unit that should really be out there.

We really need to just run our top 2 lines on the PP... The current 2nd unit kills the PP more than the opposing PK does...

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I want E on the 2nd PP unit. Kindl and Smith are a complete trainwreck right along with
Cleary and somewhat Bertuzzi. Filppula is the only one of the 2nd PP unit that should really be out there.

We really need to just run our top 2 lines on the PP... The current 2nd unit kills the PP more than the opposing PK does...

We could always just not play the 2nd unit & cycle Filppula in for whoever's tired on the 1st unit.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Blues fan in peace.

Zetterberg (My phone wanted to auto correct that to Letterhead. I was tempted to leave it.) was amazing. Shame that's not what the game will be remembered for.

Regardless, good game today. Hopefully from here on in, there are no more "buts" after we play all the first two. Good luck.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Yeah, I'd like to see Z and Pav broken up on the PP. And please, no more Brunner on the point.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
zetterberg by far

i thought ericsson and franzen also had good games, but i missed most of 1st period.

whoever made that crap call on backes was also very, very important. would vote for him, but he's not in the poll.

And on the seventh game, Henrik Zetterberg said, "Let there be curly fries", and it was good.
:laugh:

worth a try

2nd PP is a clown show.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
So I set up the DVR for NHL Network... and there is no game on my DVR? WTF?

Exact same thing happened to me.

I set my DVR, and when I went to start it at about 8:15, it goes about a half second through whatever commercial was playing at 7:30 and freezes. Luckily I was able to kill it and record the 2nd and 3rd periods.

And since it was on NHL Network and not Centre Ice, no replays to watch. Fun.

It was a pretty wild game from the 2 periods I saw - a lot of power plays on cheap calls both ways early, then they decided they would put the whistles away, then they got them back out in the 3rd and made some more stupid calls highlighted by the Backes hit.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It won't be forgotten by wings fans

:shakehead Right, because if the shoe was on the other foot and Oshie got a hat trick you would forget about it.

I'm sorry I meant by the general public. Zetterberg's individual effort should be what people are talking most about.

I truly just meant to comment on how awesome he played. Sorry if I misconstrued that.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
:shakehead Right, because if the shoe was on the other foot and Oshie got a hat trick you would forget about it.

I think he meant that it is going to be overshadowed by that Backes major. Someone on either side could have scored 5 times tonight and they'd still probably be overshadowed by the worst call I've ever seen.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
I'm sorry I meant by the general public. Zetterberg's individual effort should be what people are talking most about.

I truly just meant to comment on how awesome he played. Sorry if I misconstrued that.

Accepted. My reading comprehension is usually pretty fair when I am sober, the Molson Canadian was flowing freely tonight. I might have reacted a little quick to that, my fault.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I wouldn't call it the worst I've ever seen, from the vantage point of the ref who called it, in real time, I can see how he made the call. Now, he was completely wrong but I can see how it happened.

I still contend the Brad May non-goal is the worst call I've ever seen. Or countless goals called back because of "goalie interference." But, granted tonight's call was not a good one.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I wouldn't call it the worst I've ever seen, from the vantage point of the ref who called it, in real time, I can see how he made the call. Now, he was completely wrong but I can see how it happened.

I still contend the Brad May non-goal is the worst call I've ever seen. Or countless goals called back because of "goalie interference." But, granted tonight's call was not a good one.

The Brad May non-goal was hands down the worst call I've ever seen. Just brutal.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

The Brad May non-goal was hands down the worst call I've ever seen. Just brutal.

Think I may have had a few too many tonight, I completely forgot about the May no-goal call.
Even still, the Backes call was pretty bad.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Just watched the game.

Z put da team on his back do.

We got severely outplayed in the 2nd but came back nicely in the 3rd.

Quincey still sucks.

And god, was that call on Backes atrocious. I'll take it but wow was that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->