Post-Game Talk: Postgame and 3 Stars : 1/29/13 : DAL @ DET

Aug 6, 2012
Franzen has definitely worn out his welcome with me. I don't care if he scores 30/30 every year from this point on, his work ethic sucks, and I'd rather give that spot to Nyquist or Tatar.

Huh? I'm curious how you know Franzen has bad work ethic. He's been working hard this year, especially last night on the forecheck. Unfortunately the points haven't come yet, but I'm pretty sure you'd be fine with 30/30 every year. He just needs to shoot the puck.

I feel like you just checked the stat-sheet, saw the lack of numbers, and came to the conclusion that he isn't working hard when, in reality, he has been.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Huh? I'm curious how you know Franzen has bad work ethic. He's been working hard this year, especially last night on the forecheck. Unfortunately the points haven't come yet, but I'm pretty sure you'd be fine with 30/30 every year. He just needs to shoot the puck.

I feel like you just checked the stat-sheet, saw the lack of numbers, and came to the conclusion that he isn't working hard when, in reality, he has been.

I feel the same way. I've seen him moving more this year than all of last year. I just think it goes back to that stigma thing. When Stuart was here I used to talk to people (not on HFBoards) who HATED Stuart because of some of his bad plays and would openly mock him all the time. I didn't see it that way and neither did the majority of the Wings board.

To each their own.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Kindl deserves credit for trying to be more assertive last night. He took a penalty in the first because of it, but he was liberal in taking the body and using his stick. He played more to his size/strength last night.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Wouldn't call Franzen lazy thus far. Though I did for parts of years past.

But he's definitely not doing what he's supposed to be doing.

The guy should be shooting every chance he gets, but he dishes it more often than not. And he's just not that tough. He's a huge guy that plays small. We've seen that he has the hands, the skill, the shot, to be a very good power forward, but he hasn't seemed to do it since 2009. And he goes down so easily. Yeah, you took a stick to the gut, I watched it. Play on dude, it's a PP, don't get a whistle blown. Show some guts.

And to be honest, if you're kept on as a goalscorer, and you're *not* showing up on the stats sheet, you need to be called out for that.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Maybe it's just me, but I think the defense is coming around. Ericsson has a huge impact on that I feel as he is finally becoming that defenseman that the organization has been telling us he could be. Kindl is playing better hockey in the defensive zone than I have seen from him, Smith is gaining more and more confidence, and I'm not noticing Quincey as much, which I think we can all agree is a good thing. The Kent Huskins signing is starting to show me that Kenny hasn't lost his marbles. We might have some options at the back end by the trade deadline if everyone is back and healthy, not sure who we would move though. My guess, if anything, is that we'll be rolling with Kronner, White, Ericsson, Smith, Huskins, Kindl. I'd have no problem shipping out Cola and Quincey for prospects/picks or a 3rd/4th line center.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Well your feeling would be wrong. ;)

I feel the same way. I've seen him moving more this year than all of last year. I just think it goes back to that stigma thing. When Stuart was here I used to talk to people (not on HFBoards) who HATED Stuart because of some of his bad plays and would openly mock him all the time. I didn't see it that way and neither did the majority of the Wings board.

To each their own.

Perhaps "work ethic" is the wrong term to use, but I'm a bit fuzzy right now so you'll have to forgive me. Or not, I don't really care.

We've all seen Franzen go "beast mode" and fly around hitting people, taking shots, and generally doing what he should be doing; with the exception of about two periods this year, I haven't seen that. I see him gliding more, only hustling on the backcheck occasionally, and kinda just wandering around the offensive zone most of the time. I'd be fine with him if he gave a consistent effort night in and night out, but he doesn't, and that's what seems to frustrate those of us who feel this way most about him.

Hey, here's hoping he proves me wrong and lights it up this year, but I just don't see it happening with any sort of regularity.

crashman

The guy should be shooting every chance he gets, but he dishes it more often than not. And he's just not that tough. He's a huge guy that plays small. We've seen that he has the hands, the skill, the shot, to be a very good power forward, but he hasn't seemed to do it since 2009. And he goes down so easily. Yeah, you took a stick to the gut, I watched it. Play on dude, it's a PP, don't get a whistle blown. Show some guts.

And to be honest, if you're kept on as a goalscorer, and you're *not* showing up on the stats sheet, you need to be called out for that.

He sure does drop like a sack of bricks when he gets "hurt", doesn't he? It's something that always bothered me about Franzen.

He also pulled a ***** move in last nights game...

anyone notice this little kick with the blade of his skate? (12 second mark) http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,85&event=DET396&cmpid=embed-share-video

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Nah, I call ******** on this. Franzen isn't someone who embellishes, he doesn't dive. Franzen didn't go down to draw a penalty, they were already on a 5 on 3. If he got speared and couldn't breathe, anyone would go down.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I didn't say he dove or embellished. But stay up instead of killing the play.

I saw the spear. It didn't look like anything that would pull a guy down for so long.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I didn't say he dove or embellished. But stay up instead of killing the play.

I saw the spear. It didn't look like anything that would pull a guy down for so long.

Hard to say. I've watched MMA fights were guys took a light jab to the abdomen that ruptured their spleen. Looked like nothing, but it took them out. It doesn't have to be a vicious blow to make someone incapacitated.

HTT3*

I concur. Six games without a goal from the entire bottom 6 is unacceptable. I don't expect a goal every game but come on, is a timely goal every now and then too much to ask?

The bottom six has showed some threatening offensive flair, they are getting pucks to net and driving to the goal. They offense will come. They are showing some great signs of being goal contributors. They just got stoned by a couple hot goalies and unlucky bounces.

I'm not worried. They spending lots of time in the O zone and reaking havoc on the other team.

Aug 6, 2012
The bottom six has showed some threatening offensive flair, they are getting pucks to net and driving to the goal. They offense will come. They are showing some great signs of being goal contributors. They just got stoned by a couple hot goalies and unlucky bounces.

I'm not worried. They spending lots of time in the O zone and reaking havoc on the other team.

I'm worried if Cleary stays on the third line. That guy single-handedly kept the Wings in their zone for over 2 minutes, he's really hurting that line.

Emmerton has been very solid. He's been great around the boards and he, along with Tootoo and Miller/Eaves, have been able to string together a ton of great shifts. Too bad he struggles on the dot or he could be great in his role.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'm worried if Cleary stays on the third line. That guy single-handedly kept the Wings in their zone for over 2 minutes, he's really hurting that line.

Emmerton has been very solid. He's been great around the boards and he, along with Tootoo and Miller/Eaves, have been able to string together a ton of great shifts. Too bad he struggles on the dot or he could be great in his role.

I still haven't seen anything out of Emmerton that makes me think he brings any sort of value to the team. I certainly haven't seen these great board battle wins you're talking about. Mostly I see him unsuccessfully try to take the puck from someone, and then fall down. At least if they had a faceoff ace on that line, they'd have some kind of positive there.

Emmerton strikes me as the sort of player that can scratch out a decent NHL career playing for lousy teams as cheap roster fill, but who doesn't have a place on a team that's going to contend. His skating is average, his hands are average, his faceoffs are below-average, he's completely ineffective at hitting and forechecking, he can't fight, and his hockey sense (billed to be his calling card on the way up, making up for the other blahs) is average as well.

RedWingsNow*

Nah, I call ******** on this. Franzen isn't someone who embellishes, he doesn't dive. Franzen didn't go down to draw a penalty, they were already on a 5 on 3. If he got speared and couldn't breathe, anyone would go down.

I don't think Franzen dives-- well, I'm not sure. On this play he didn't dive.

but I do question his toughness.

RedWingsNow*

I still haven't seen anything out of Emmerton that makes me think he brings any sort of value to the team. I certainly haven't seen these great board battle wins you're talking about. Mostly I see him unsuccessfully try to take the puck from someone, and then fall down. At least if they had a faceoff ace on that line, they'd have some kind of positive there.

Emmerton strikes me as the sort of player that can scratch out a decent NHL career playing for lousy teams as cheap roster fill, but who doesn't have a place on a team that's going to contend. His skating is average, his hands are average, his faceoffs are below-average, he's completely ineffective at hitting and forechecking, he can't fight, and his hockey sense (billed to be his calling card on the way up, making up for the other blahs) is average as well.

I think his skating is above average.
I think his hockey sense is pretty good (he's always played with slugs in the NHL)
I think his weaknesses are overall strength, faceoffs, (two things that can be worked on).

The question is, for me, can he learn to make decisions at high speed?

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Everyone saying Franzen is being lazy right now [mod]. Hes been far from a force in terms of highlight reel snipes or generating offensive chances but hes been physically competing and hustling every game.

Pavs is the backbone of the team ... but Zett, Kronner, and Franzen have all started the season IMO noticably with allot of fire and effort out there (perhaps too much at times).

Last edited by a moderator:

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009

I agree 100 percent.. Dont know what player everyone else is watching out there.. Maybe someone else is wearing 48 this year and think its still emmerton lol?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Emmerton had that good season end at faceoffs over 50%, but he has fallen again to 44%. Against other 4th line centers. He is just going nowhere.

Imo, faceoff ability is the most important skill for 4th line center. That's why someones like Scott Nichols and Jamal Mayers are still in the league. Just win that faceoff --> get the puck to your team --> turn the play to the other end --> get offensive zone faceoff. If a 4th line can do that, it's a great job.

Emmerton is on the cut list with Cleary.

Aug 6, 2012

Well it may just be a product of Tootoo, but I was just pointing out how well the 4th line has been playing. I don't expect anything great out of him, but he's playing a lot better than expected. I think he's been solid around the boards at least against Dallas two nights ago.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well it may just be a product of Tootoo, but I was just pointing out how well the 4th line has been playing. I don't expect anything great out of him, but he's playing a lot better than expected. I think he's been solid around the boards at least against Dallas two nights ago.

I think Tootoo is part of it. Emmerton is now engaging more in the play, getting down low, and battling. He doesn't always win, but he's not hesitating like he was last season. I think a fair bit of that is having a guy like Tootoo playing next to him and sort of leading the charge.

RedWingsNow*

I don;t understand why we pay Tootoo $2M a year for 10 minutes

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
So why not 15 minutes?

32 power plays and 30 penalty kills in 6 games. 52:13 minutes of PP and 46:06 of PK.

They've played a total of 360 minutes (minus overtimes) and have been on special teams for 92:19 of it. Thats a quarter of the time.

Babcock has even said multiple times he would of liked to get him more time but never had the chance with all the penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->